SHOT Show 2020 Videos and other info concerning new models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: SHOT Show 2020 Videos and other info concerning new models

Post by VooDooChild »

Catamount123 wrote: Did anyone else notice that Eric showed a Native 5 LW in SPY27 and cobalt blue, which is NOT in Reveal 4?!
Theres already a thread on it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really hope the machined G10 is a sign of things to come.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:01 pm
I'm jumping on the tanto bandwagon. Fascinating grind that Spyderco has settled on. I think Eric's is S30V, but, wow, a 3V would be the bee's knees. Maybe a sprint down the road.
Tanto PM2 in 3v sounds like perfection.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:58 pm
I really hope the machined G10 is a sign of things to come.
Yea, that's a nice touch. Would definitely like to see more of that kind of thing in the future.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like the blade of the Tanto PM2. I'd rather it came as a 5+ inch fixed blade, say around the size of the Jumpmaster 2 in 4V or S45VN.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:22 pm
I really like the swedge on the Tanto PM2, it's cool to hear that they're being made now. Sounds like its a lock to be in the next reveal! :D
Is it possible this could be an exclusive??? and we could see it sooner??? It was mentioned it was already on the grinders ... 120 days before the next reveal seems like a long time if on the grinders... just a thought.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

I love the looks of that Tanto PM2. It would be cool if they launched that in Cobalt Blue G10 / SPY27.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What is a tanto good for? Serious question. Looks really cool. Interested in the Pacific 2. Guess we’ll never know Vivi’s option of it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Jazz wrote: What is a tanto good for? Serious question. Looks really cool. Interested in the Pacific 2. Guess we’ll never know Vivi’s option of it.
Stabbing through some types of armor lol. Then you have the whole traditional real tanto design vs the american tanto design thing. Some people love them, for alot of various reasons. Even in a utility knife aspect they can have some advantages. But traditionally its all about penetration.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:09 pm
What is a tanto good for? Serious question. Looks really cool. Interested in the Pacific 2. Guess we’ll never know Vivi’s option of it.

I like mine for cutting. Honestly. I know that sounds sarcastic but they work great for that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Jazz wrote:
To put the utility part of what I said into perspective. My buddy does maintenance and loves the tanto blade shape. I never have but Im going to get one of these pm2 tantos. His logic, which makes sense, is you have almost a wharncliffe with a long straight edge and secondary tip. And then you have something close to a small chisel from the secondary tip up to the primary tip.
JMM

Post by JMM »

To the question about colour on the Rex45, I can tell you the colour shown on this video is the colour my (Rex45) PM2 and Para3 scales are (don't have Millie) -- nothing like the colour in the Release4 .pdf -- I also noticed the colour on the spy27 knives was much more subtle than in the Relase4..... fwiw
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think everyone's all juiced up on the tanto because it's something totally different from Spyderco. In actual use, it's not very useful. You really have to crank your wrist in uncomfortable way to utilize the tip to penetrate something , say cutting from above and pulling back. Just a different design. Amazing how easy it is to sucker some people in!
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:07 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:55 pm
I just want to say thank you to Spyderco for putting the numbers inside the Bombshell!

I don't care for the design, but I will be buying one just to support this practice.
Agreed, that's nice. It's really a beefy little sucker. Not my cup of tea, but an interesting design for sure.
When I see this knife, I can't get the thought of a Beluga whale out of my head :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

No Military 2? 😐
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:48 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:22 pm
I really like the swedge on the Tanto PM2, it's cool to hear that they're being made now. Sounds like its a lock to be in the next reveal! :D
Is it possible this could be an exclusive??? and we could see it sooner??? It was mentioned it was already on the grinders ... 120 days before the next reveal seems like a long time if on the grinders... just a thought.

CG
You're right!!! :cool: Just now, during an Instagram live feed, BladeHQ announced that it will be a BladeHQ exclusive. So looks like we will see this before the next reveal!
-Nick :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:30 pm
Jazz wrote:
To put the utility part of what I said into perspective. My buddy does maintenance and loves the tanto blade shape. I never have but Im going to get one of these pm2 tantos. His logic, which makes sense, is you have almost a wharncliffe with a long straight edge and secondary tip. And then you have something close to a small chisel from the secondary tip up to the primary tip.
Would you actually use it like a chisel? It's not chisel ground is it?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:52 pm
I think everyone's all juiced up on the tanto because it's something totally different from Spyderco. In actual use, it's not very useful. You really have to crank your wrist in uncomfortable way to utilize the tip to penetrate something , say cutting from above and pulling back. Just a different design. Amazing how easy it is to sucker some people in!

That second edge on a tanto works great for opening boxes. I find I don’t have to twist my wrist like you’re saying. You can see here with a tanto and the angle of my forearm:

Vs getting the very tip of say.. a leaf blade:

Of course, that’s an exaggerated image because you don’t really need to go at a box at such a steep angle to make your cut as seen here:

But the same goes for the tanto. Plus it looks good and you have a nice strong point for piercing as well as scraping:

I don’t know if you’ve ever owned a tanto but you might want to give it a try if you haven’t. For and EDC I’ll definitely take a more standard blade shape, but tantos have their uses.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JuPaul wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:30 pm
Jazz wrote:
Would you actually use it like a chisel? It's not chisel ground is it?
No not really use it like a chisel in the traditional sense. But its a flat edge up near the tip that you can utilize at different tip and grip angles. As an example. Im not a tanto guy but I will give credit where credit is due. That section of blade is amazing for stripping wires on a flat surface. If you dont have the appropriate tool and are using a knife for this. You can lay them on a flat surface, and because of the angles and how you are holding the knife strip a wire on one side very easily. Then pull back the casing and cut it off. Im sure there are other examples of the tanto usefullness, but this is one I have noticed. And I say that as not a tanto person in general. But its one of those random things that works well when you might not have the right tool.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

To me, the Siren, Pacific Salt, Astute, and Tenacious LW were the most interesting. These knives seem practical.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050