Manbug VG-10: accidental real-world corrosion test!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Manbug VG-10: accidental real-world corrosion test!

Post by zuludelta »

We had a large amount of snow fall in southern British Columbia last week (about 30 inches over a span of five days where I live). On the first night of heavy snowfall, I managed to lose my trusty Manbug in the snow while fumbling for my car keys at my workplace's parking lot. I thought for sure that it was lost for good.

Fast-forward to earlier tonight: Temperatures have started heading north of zero. And as I was getting ready to leave work, a familiar black shape caught my eye in a receding snowbank beside my usual parking spot—my Manbug!

Here's what it looked like:
20200121_005723.jpg
20200121_011102.jpg
Rust had formed around the engraved text near the base of the blade and on the bug logo. No pitting, however, which was a good sign.

After ten minutes with a paper towel and some WD-40:
20200121_011351.jpg
20200121_011414.jpg
It was very fortunate that I had just lubricated the knife with a gel lubricant the night before I lost it—I'm not too worried about rust in the pivot. Anyway, for anyone out there wondering just how corrosion-resistant VG-10 is, well, it's stainless enough to withstand 7 days in melting snow!
Wartstein

Re: Manbug VG-10: accidental real-world corrosion test!

Post by Wartstein »

From my experience with VG10 I think if the snow had abslutely no "rust enhancing" ingredients in it in the time of a week there would have been no rust at all.

I assume there probably where small amounts of Salt or whatever on that parking lot / in that snow... ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

P.S: First and foremost: Glad you got your Manbug back!! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 am
P.S: First and foremost: Glad you got your Manbug back!! :)
Thanks! I was actually feeling a bit down after losing my Manbug... my car had gotten broken into a couple of days prior and I had a bunch of tools and winter gear stolen. Finding my Manbug doesn't make up for it, but it lifted my spirits a little.
Wartstein wrote: I assume there probably where small amounts of Salt or whatever on that parking lot / in that snow... ?!
Yeah, the parking lot was actually heavily salted over the past week. And yeah, if it hadn't been salted, it's quite possible that there would have been no rust at all on the blade.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Glad you found your Bug, Zulu. :)

I thought I lost my little Ladybug (again) last week and tonight, I’m hoping I left it in my overalls at work because it’s not here and I’m not overly happy. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m glad you found your Manbug. It is a great knife and truthfully would do most of my knife tasks. It’s not my favorite apple slicer, though, due to the short blade, but even that it can get done.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly! :)
Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:51 am
Glad you found your Bug, Zulu. :)

I thought I lost my little Ladybug (again) last week and tonight, I’m hoping I left it in my overalls at work because it’s not here and I’m not overly happy. :eek:
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I can't find my Jester, AGAIN.

It disappears for months at a time and then it will just randomly show up.

It's probably sulking because the Kiwi was getting all the love. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:26 pm

That´s what my leatherman Juice S2 (old model, my small urban multitool EDC) routinely does to me... ;)

Unfortunately my Spydercos, if ever lost, are always gone for good... :( (ok, happened only two times till today)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:34 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 am
Wartstein wrote: I assume there probably where small amounts of Salt or whatever on that parking lot / in that snow... ?!
Yeah, the parking lot was actually heavily salted over the past week. And yeah, if it hadn't been salted, it's quite possible that there would have been no rust at all on the blade.

That´s what I thought... goes to show how amazingly corrosion resistant VG10 really is! I mean the stuff they salt parking lots /streets with is very aggressive (we here in Austria - lots of snow in the mouintains - really know this from what the Salt does to our cars in winter... :o ) - and still your Manbug did not rust severely at all over the course of one week°!

For my use VG10 has always been practically totally rust proof... And my VG10 knives get used and carried a lot in wet conditions and stay wet for several days not too seldom. No problems whatsoever so far.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Man, I hope you find it, I loved my Jester. It was appropriated from me in an unauthorized manner lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Awesome. I love VG10... and now you’re making me want a serrated Manbug. Thanks. Glad you found it, by the way.
- best wishes, Jazz.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:45 pm
Glad you found it, by the way.
Bloke wrote:Glad you found your Bug, Zulu. :)
Doc Dan wrote: I’m glad you found your Manbug.
Thanks guys! And yeah, the week I didn't have it really reminded me how useful having a functional keychain knife is for convenience cutting tasks in situations and places where whipping out even a small/midsize folder might be considered inappropriate.