Spyderco coins

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mini2white

Spyderco coins

Post by Mini2white »

I am an avid collector of memorabilia. These coins are one of my favorites. I haven't managed to find 2016 as yet but I will keep hunting.

Wartstein

Re: Spyderco coins

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks for posting, didn´t even know that such coins exist..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting subject "coins". Actually I would love it if Spyderco were to have Gold and Silver bullion coins minted with Spydie's picture on them. What a great way to invest in precious metals. And to be in style too. Before most of you give me a thumbs down you must consider that many serious coin collector's like unique, one of a kind items>> and if you make them in Gold & Silver bullion you couldn't go wrong at all.

Also have a set up to where you could trade them in for your favorite Spyderco models you want to buy later on.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

If I recall correctly, a small amount of 2016 coins were made but they were just never made available for sale to the public.
-Nick :bug-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:27 pm
If I recall correctly, a small amount of 2016 coins were made but they were just never made available for sale to the public.
Thats a shame, does that mean I won't get one after all?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mini2white wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:44 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thats a shame, does that mean I won't get one after all?
Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Sal said the maker was late to deliver the 2016 coins to Spyderco. I think they would have been the same size as the 2017 coin.

I've kept an eye out for them but have never seen one. I'm not sure why they weren't ever made available for sale.

:spyder:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Are they sold thru the factory?
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I would like to see new models of Spydie coins...they could become a nice collection too!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
That's interesting because I've visited the Spyderco booths at several knife shows and even at a few Gun & Knife Shows. Many times on the display table I've seen promotional items of all kinds that they usually give away as a souvenir. I've gotten so many of these promotional items over the years that I even have a huge fishing tackle box that I keep most of them in.

There was one kind of game they had where you had to get so many BBs into designated holes and it was an interesting little game. I've also gathered dozens of small lapel pins that look exactly like real Spyderco folders. But I've never seen or had any of these Spyderco "coins" or medallions.

Spyderco also used to have an Angle Guide that they sold for just a short period of time along with so many other curious items they've had at their booths and tables. But again I think if they actually had Silver & Gold bullion coins to not only sell to serious collectors and afis like most of us are>> but they would be a cool way to invest in precious metal bullion as well.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:11 pm
Mushroom wrote:
That's interesting because I've visited the Spyderco booths at several knife shows and even at a few Gun & Knife Shows. Many times on the display table I've seen promotional items of all kinds that they usually give away as a souvenir. I've gotten so many of these promotional items over the years that I even have a huge fishing tackle box that I keep most of them in.

There was one kind of game they had where you had to get so many BBs into designated holes and it was an interesting little game. I've also gathered dozens of small lapel pins that look exactly like real Spyderco folders. But I've never seen or had any of these Spyderco "coins" or medallions.

Spyderco also used to have an Angle Guide that they sold for just a short period of time along with so many other curious items they've had at their booths and tables. But again I think if they actually had Silver & Gold bullion coins to not only sell to serious collectors and afis like most of us are>> but they would be a cool way to invest in precious metal bullion as well.
The OP posted a photo of the Spydercoins from over the years. I believe they started in 2015 and have made them each year since. (Except, of course, the 2016 coins)

They're made to honor Spyderco's support for military and law enforcement. They're not any sort of precious metal but still a nice little coin from Spyderco. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/Coin2017/1020
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:11 pm
Mushroom wrote:

I'm such an avid collector of the memorabilia, along with some wonderful friends we now have a facebook group for the Spyderco pins and of course the memorabilia. Of course here on the Forum we have such a history going back decades that is so valuable.

I first saw the coins on a website while browsing looking for knives to buy and it was great to be able to add them to my purchase. Now my friendly seller sends me the new ones when they come out. They are great to give as gifts too.

I don't have the angle guide but I do have the frustrating game, and recently saw there was also a pen game too. I must admit the Pins are my passion though.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Thanks for the pic! I have a few of the 2015 ones, but I had no idea they got bigger after that.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve never seen one in the wild.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:39 am
I’ve never seen one in the wild.
I saw one recently in possession of another collector, so I know they exist. Maybe just for the special.
sal

Post by sal »

I give them to cops and soldiers wherever I see them.. I must have given out 50 at the SOT show.

sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Not my thing, but have seen them available at various vendors. 2018 In stock too.

For example:
https://www.knifecenter.com/series/spyd ... enge-coins
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

We appreciate everything you folks do for us Sal!
Thanks for all your support!
sal wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:20 am
I give them to cops and soldiers wherever I see them.. I must have given out 50 at the SOT show.

sal
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Would be cool to see EMS included on the coin, or a different coin with EMS mentioned
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I will call the SFO o the off chance a 2016 coin is still hanging around somewhere. I just have to work the time difference. Hello google.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mini2white wrote: I will call the SFO o the off chance a 2016 coin is still hanging around somewhere. I just have to work the time difference. Hello google.
I’d be interested to know what you find out about the 2016 coins. It’s the only one I’m missing as well.

-
sal wrote: I give them to cops and soldiers wherever I see them.. I must have given out 50 at the SOT show.

sal
Is there a chance that those were 2020 coins you were handing out at SHOT Show? ;)