A plea to Sal and Alistair

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

A plea to Sal and Alistair

Post by elena86 »

I am quite sure it would be a popular one : a 3,25 blade lenght liner lock Kapara. It's a well loved spydie for obvious reasons but slightly longer than it needs to be in an edc role and people complain about the limited access to the comp lock tab( and they're right) . I am aware that they are working on a 3 incher slipie but I have the feeling that a 3.25 inch liner lock would solve quite a few problems and demands.Let's add the new Spyderco proprietary steel in the mix and change the color of the scales to cobalt blue for the fun of it ... one can dream ;)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Re: A plea to Sal and Alistair

Post by JRinFL »

Agreed on all except the liner lock. I’d rather see a comp lock with a button release.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Agreed, a linerlock would make that knife even better and more practical in real use (or even a backlock, but I am afraid it would not fit in the handle of that design together with the blade heightwise).

I would not change the blade length necessarely, especially cause the Kapara offers a lot of edge in an anyway really short closed package.

Still, I would not be opposed to a "Lil Kapara" with another lock either.

Speaking of "more practical in real use": For outdoor use a more textured variant (FRN?) would be a great addition too, and in such an "outdoor version" a good linerlock would shine even more.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:55 pm
Agreed on all except the liner lock. I’d rather see a comp lock with a button release.
I don't think that's possible. There's no room to put the button lock in without drastically changing the blade shape. There's a reason the Smock has a large cutout in the blade.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:09 pm
I am quite sure it would be a popular one : a 3,25 blade lenght liner lock Kapara. It's a well loved spydie for obvious reasons but slightly longer than it needs to be in an edc role and people complain about the limited access to the comp lock tab( and they're right) . I am aware that they are working on a 3 incher slipie but I have the feeling that a 3.25 inch liner lock would solve quite a few problems and demands.Let's add the new Spyderco proprietary steel in the mix and change the color of the scales to cobalt blue for the fun of it ... one can dream ;)
Not sure that is a good idea since it would be perfect and I'd wouldn't need any more folding knives :D ;)

PS! I'm fine with the current size too :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

When thinking about that proposal, one has to keep in mind:
On a Kapara (other than on many other Spydies) a (shorter) 3.25 " blade would still mean over 3 " (3.10" I guess) of actual cutting edge, while still offering a real finger choil... that´s still a tad more than a PM2 offers, but a "Lil Kapara" would certainly be a much smaller overall package (than the PM2)
Not bad!

And again: A good linerlock would be a plus indeed on that knife imho
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
stockliman

Post by stockliman »

No to the liner lock.They are average at best especially with free swinging blades. Unless you use a blunt or average sharpening on your knife, let's keep hands and fingers out of the blade path. The compression is fine.The CQI changes were made for the compression lock, so I can't see them changing anything. Plus if they change too much, wouldn't it be a new knife and then have a need to sign with Alistair all over again and ask for the new model? If you "need" a change in lock, the ball or bolt locks would be the way to go.

If the kapara needs anything, it's fine tuning the blade thickness to make it a keener slicer. It is just a touch thick as it stands.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

stockliman wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 am
No to the liner lock.They are average at best especially with free swinging blades. Unless you use a blunt or average sharpening on your knife, let's keep hands and fingers out of the blade path. The compression is fine.The CQI changes were made for the compression lock, so I can't see them changing anything. Plus if they change too much, wouldn't it be a new knife and then have a need to sign with Alistair all over again and ask for the new model? If you "need" a change in lock, the ball or bolt locks would be the way to go.

If the kapara needs anything, it's fine tuning the blade thickness to make it a keener slicer. It is just a touch thick as it stands.

I totally respect that you prefer the comp lock on the Kapara, but what do you mean by "linerlocks are average at best especially with free swinging blades"?
imho no somewhat experienced knife user will have any problem whatsowver to keep the fingers safe with a good liner lock. Additionally on the Kapara it would be easier to operate than the comp.lock.

On the other hand, in order to always "keep the fingers out of the blade path" (which is not necessary concerning safety anyway) especially on the Kapara, one has to pinch the rather small locktab with the index finger, the narrow and un-grippy handle with the thumb and "swing"the blade into "closed". This certainly is ok in ideal (warm, dry "office") conditions, but not so much in outdoor use (cold, wet, slippery...)

And the ball or bolt lock you suggested would not fit in the narrow handle of the Kapara if you don't alter the blade I figure...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:29 am
JRinFL wrote:
I don't think that's possible. There's no room to put the button lock in without drastically changing the blade shape. There's a reason the Smock has a large cutout in the blade.
If there is room for a cutout, there is room for a button, though the button may need to be rectangular and not round as on the Smock.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
If there is room for a cutout, there is room for a button, though the button may need to be rectangular and not round as on the Smock.
I think what BornIn1500 is talking about (and I figure he´s right!) is not that the button would not fit in the handle /the scales, but that IF you´d fit it into the handle it would interefere with the blade inside of the handle.
So the blade could not remain like it is now, but would have to have some cutout, largfer choil or whatever
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
I think what BornIn1500 is talking about (and I figure he´s right!) is not that the button would not fit in the handle /the scales, but that IF you´d fit it into the handle it would interefere with the blade inside of the handle.
So the blade could not remain like it is now, but would have to have some cutout, largfer choil or whatever
I knew what he meant. But, if you look at the knife you can see there is no part of the blade that moves up into the cutout in the handle for the release tab. So, again I will say that if there is room for a cutout for the tab, there is room for a button of some sort, likely not round but elongated. The way it is done on the Smock is not the only way it can be achieved. It could even be done by a folded tab, like an inverted "L" shape. This would also eliminate the uncomfortable cutout.

Who knows, maybe that release method is held by some other patent holder? I do not know.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

elena86 wrote:
In your opinion it’s too long. It happens to be a perfect length for edc for me (my only real concern).
A liner lock is a step down for this level knife.
From solid and beautiful carbon fiber to something cobalt blue...I think not.
As it sits the Kapala is a super nice knife. Making a multitude of changes makes a different knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PineyBoy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:20 pm
elena86 wrote:
In your opinion it’s too long. It happens to be a perfect length for edc for me (my only real concern).
A liner lock is a step down for this level knife.
From solid and beautiful carbon fiber to something cobalt blue...I think not.
As it sits the Kapala is a super nice knife. Making a multitude of changes makes a different knife.

Funny, that linerlock vs comp.lock thing gets discussed in the "comp.lock Military" thread at the moment...

To say that "a linerlock is a step down GENERALLY for this level knife" would be a bit weird. But I am sure you meant for YOU personally it would be a step down

For ME though, particullary on the Kapara, a Millie-quality linerlock clearly would be a step UP. Works better in all categories that are important to me personally (but of course not for everyone!)

If you indeed meant something along the lines "comp lock generally is for higher level knives, linerlock for lower level" I strongly have to disagree.
sal

Post by sal »

Any of the suggestions is an all new knife with; prototypes, tooling, testing, etc.

sal
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:06 pm
Any of the suggestions is an all new knife with; prototypes, tooling, testing, etc.

sal
I'd love to see this as a pinned.

The difference between MINOR changes that can be done. (Blade steel, scale color or material...)

RADICAL changes that are basically a totally new knife. (Lock change, frame profile, anything other than MINOR)

The wish threads are seriously cringy
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

When do we get a Kapara sprint? ;)
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:06 pm

sal
I'm patient Sal and I trust in Alistar's skill to pull off a nice Walker liner lock version ;)