Pendant knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Re: Pendant knife

Post by 013 »

I suppose a "dealer" could commission a run of them if they wanted to?
I wonder if the tooling for the police pendant is still around.👮
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Bump
sal

Post by sal »

On the bug, Grasshopper, the maker is limited. He doesn't like making them because they are hard to make. (so small) We could probably make one in Japan, but the cost would be high. A small Police 4, Ti scales, SPY27 steel and a kazillion dollars.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Would that be one kazillion dollars, or multiple kazillions of dollars?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The simple thing to do, I figured, is to make a Grasshopper or Honeybee, etc. completely out of LC200N or H1. There is no need for a new design. This would be rust proof and shower proof so it would never need to be taken off. Run a split ring through the lanyard hole and wear it on a bead/ball chain.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Honestly, I would be very interested in the small Police 4 in Ti in SPY-27 (or even LC200N, H1, or Magnacut). I realize the cost would be high for such a build, but so are most other jewelry items of high quality. If this were meant to be something one could wear 24/7 around their neck on a chain without fear of corrosion/rust, then a rust-proof construction would seemingly make sense. I know I’d wear one every day for sure. Heck, I would likely buy two, just so I had a back-up.

Personally, I would love for it to stay true to the original small Police form (pictured below in Mini2white's picture). I really like the orange-peel texture on the Ti scales and the stamped "Bug" emblem in the scales:

Mini2white wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 pm
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am glad this thread got bumped. I don't think I was around when it started. I would definitely be down for some of these. Exactly how Doc described it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Sorry, but the maker cannot work with LC200N or H1. The Bug and Grasshopper pretty much have to be made as is, and there is concern that they may be disco'd, due to the difficulty in making them.

Most of our pendant knives have been made in Japan.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:45 am
On the bug, Grasshopper, the maker is limited. He doesn't like making them because they are hard to make. (so small) We could probably make one in Japan, but the cost would be high. A small Police 4, Ti scales, SPY27 steel and a kazillion dollars.

sal

You really need to persuade him to make me a SE Grasshopper, or have Japan do it if he won't. I'll even settle for the current steel but of course would be tickled to see VG10 or something.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

I think the solution would be a new design. designed as a serrated pendant model?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

double tap
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:54 am
Hi David,

I think the solution would be a new design. designed as a serrated pendant model?

sal

Definitely not opposed to a SE pendant, I've just wanted a SE Grasshopper for my keys for the longest time. I like how slender the folded size is while having more edge length than a Ladybug. There's also something to be said about pinned stainless construction for a keychain knife, I've got a Ladybug Salt that's out of commission right now because I lost the pivot screw.

I didn't mean to derail this pendant discussion, I'm definitely interested in that too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:57 am

8< ——————————————————————————-

The Bug and Grasshopper pretty much have to be made as is, and there is concern that they may be disco'd, due to the difficulty in making them.
I suddenly see a handful of bugs in my near future. Funny how that works :woozy
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The problem that I see with the Military pendant is that if the knife is too big it will not get worn. Who wants a tooth knocked out or chipped when running or being active? Who wants something dragging down their neck all of the time? Not me.

I got a Bug, all black, and it is a good size. A Honeybee might be the upper limit for a pendant.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

I think that the Police pendant that we made past would be the upper size limit, in my opinion. It's not an easy piece to build. I'd like more input before venturing forth. Design to be shrunk down? New design specific to the use? Material's, size? Eye Candy?

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think Doc is on to something. The bug size would get worn all the time. Especially, if it is corrosion proof. Too big and it just will not get worn much.

I could be completely wrong, but a knife the bug's size seems like a gimmick for a collection. A cool talking piece. However, marketed as a pendant knife shown on a necklace you have something completely different in my opinion. I think that would connect with a lot of people.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageI put mine on to move some furniture. :) Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:30 am
ImageI put mine on to move some furniture. :) Dan
Holy cow that knife is huge! 🤣
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I did wear a Bug as a necklace for a while, it rusted about as much as the ATS-34 blade on my Police necklace.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I wear a Police necklace and it gets the same maintenance as any other knife. Cleaned and oiled. Sharpened if needed. Sweat is nasty even to stainless so I keep it clean and lubed. I get a lot of comments when I wear it, so any pendant knife would have to be functional and look fantastic, not made to a price. The Police necklace fits that bill. The mini mariner with Abalone is just too fragile. If a Titanium handled pendant knife is going to cost the same as a full size Titanium knife then I would have to consider the price. Then again a McBee is MSRP of $230 so maybe it is achievable.