Forum Knife 2020 - No Holds Barred!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Forum Knife 2020 - No Holds Barred!!!

Post by cycleguy »

There have been a couple recent threads regarding an upcoming Forum 2020 knife with some predetermined choices to choose from...

I thought it would be fun to see where this would go if the arena was left wide open, sorta a "no holds barred" scenario ... so let your imagination run free, take your best shot and let's see where this goes.

Still holding to a degree of realism ... I'd like to see a Native Chief in FRN. The FRN color would be maroon but with a touch of liver so it would be a dark maroon skewed ever so slightly toward brown. The steel would be 4V. There would be a metal inlay on both sides of the knife, the Spyderco bug logo centered where the dip in the clip rests on the scales. It would be a wire clip providing transparency to the inlay and engraving it partially obscures. In a circular fashion around the body of the bug logo would be the words in all caps "FORUM KNIFE 2020". The finish on the blade, bug logo, wire clip, hardware and screw heads would be matte or acid etched or something other that leaves a natural steel appearance without the shine but still retaining a contrasting mirror edge.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
The Meat man

Re: Forum Knife 2020 - No Holds Barred!!!

Post by The Meat man »

No holds barred eh?

Then give me a Damasteel bladed drop point UKPK with steel liners and contoured polished black Micarta with a small oval silver inlay in the middle of the handle with "Spyderco Forum" engraved along the top with "2020" in larger font beneath.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Damasteel Military with real stag scales and nickel silver inlays, bolsters and clip with Spyderco 2020 engraved in the inlay.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 pm
Damasteel Military with real stag scales and nickel silver inlays and clip with Spyderco 2020 engraved in the inlay.
I'd go for that. :cool:

Pretty much anything Damasteel will get my support.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 pm
Damasteel Military with real stag scales and nickel silver inlays and clip with Spyderco 2020 engraved in the inlay.
I'd go for that. :cool:

Pretty much anything Damasteel will get my support.

It would be a beautiful knife to put behind glass on display. :cool:

Would be lets say rather costly though. :eek:
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'd like a very deep purple linen micarta handled Ti bolstered Shaman with Cruwear. Minimal 2020 blade etch in lieu of Sal's makers mark.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

•Para 3 with a Cruwear TANTO blade, the grippy carbon fiber scales from the 52100 Para 3, and a red spider on the blade.

•2nd choice: Wharncliffe Cruwear Delica.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

So, if anything´s possible (in that case Seki production) a bit of a different approach:

Endela SE, in VG10 (for VG10 does great in serrations imho) and maybe a "pimped up" handle ("just" special FRN color, or wood, or Micarta...)

NOT only cause I personally love tis knife, but also cause:

- I figure there has never been a spyderedged forum knife before, despite creating perfect serrated egdes is something genuin "Spyderco", worth to be on a knife for 2020 (new decade)
- It would maybe bring more people to try out SE, and that in the specific, great, rather "better plain edgy" Endela pattern
- The Endela has the ideal size and style (and capabilities) to be a perfect utility work knife (maybe even to live in a tool box...)
- It´s blade is just so under 3.5" which makes it - though (for me) a bit short - legal in more places and still usefull for general tasks and EDC
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

...And I´d be a bit disappointed if the Forum knive would be yet ANOTHER Para 3...

Sure a cool little folder, glad for the many who obviously enjoy it, but sometimes I am a bit baffled when I see how it floods the market in I guess as of right now already 30 different versions (3 more in the last reveal alone..) and get´s so many of the variations and sprints.

And I said it before: I think it´s an "controversial" knife: Many really love it (and that´s great! :)) but on the other hand many don´t fully get it.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Para 3 ? Well, it says no holds barred!!! I am also one of those who "doesn't get it" (and would simply pass on a forum Para 3)

Clearly this thread is a pie in the sky exercise with no actual hope of seeing this come to pass, so ...

If we were sticking to reality, I was going to revise all my former comments to a UKPK with 52100 steel (but would accept LC200N or K390 as well).

How about a Police 4 in Rex 45 (an unlikely combo with an American steel in a Seki knife). Not all that different from the K390 we already have.
But we could morph that to a Native Chief in Rex 45, and that could actually happen (in fact it has or it soon will as a Sprint), but I could see some
tweak on that as a Forum knife as well.

I have dropped the idea of a Shaman as a forum knife since a run of Sprints and Exclusives seems to be starting.

The Damasteel Military sound interesting (and pricey) -- clearly other people has a more vivid imagination than I do, especially at this late hour.
Monty

Post by Monty »

NO holds barred...Nirvana, damascus blade, mokuti handle.

Realistically, the Native Chief or Siren LC200N with full serrations. Or a serrated jester salt...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

SpydeRench
With a good steel in the blade.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

OK, I have it.

The Temperance 2, but with 52100 steel. The same brown micarta handle.

A "come-back" knife -- and a fixed blade!

Not wildly imaginative, but I would like it.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Textured micarta 4V FFG PE Lil Matriarch ground to .01 BTE
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:00 am
Para 3 ? Well, it says no holds barred!!! I am also one of those who "doesn't get it" (and would simply pass on a forum Para 3)

Right, I did not reply to someone specifically and apologize if this was sounding too negative!
"No holds barred" could also mean what one really does NOT want, I figured..but again, probably not a positive approach at all... :o

Still, I´d certainly pass on a Para 3 too. As said, it´s cool somehow, mostly for being a "Lil PM2", but integrates features of the PM 2 that do not fit a small knife too well imho and that makes just about any other Spyderco in that sitze category for me a better choice.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I still want to see a K390 Chaparral with canvas micarta scales. Preferably some shade of brown or green.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:40 am
I still want to see a K390 Chaparral with canvas micarta scales. Preferably some shade of brown or green.
+1.....
JMM

Post by JMM »

Manix2 G10 -- Spy27 Steel -- Cobalt Blue -- utilizing the new G10 pattern on the S45VN models

....or, second choice

Manix2 -- 4V steel, stonewashed finish like Maxamet Para3 -- Maroon/Deep Red Micarta, with texture slightly rougher than CruCarta

....3rd choice, either #1 or #2 configuration in Shaman
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:11 pm
No holds barred eh?

Then give me a Damasteel bladed drop point UKPK with steel liners and contoured polished black Micarta with a small oval silver inlay in the middle of the handle with "Spyderco Forum" engraved along the top with "2020" in larger font beneath.
I likey!

Maybe bolstered, as well.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Wartstein wrote: Right, I did not reply to someone specifically and apologize if this was sounding too negative!
"No holds barred" could also mean what one really does NOT want, I figured..but again, probably not a positive approach at all... :o

Still, I´d certainly pass on a Para 3 too. As said, it´s cool somehow, mostly for being a "Lil PM2", but integrates features of the PM 2 that do not fit a small knife too well imho and that makes just about any other Spyderco in that sitze category for me a better choice.
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:47 am
...And I´d be a bit disappointed if the Forum knive would be yet ANOTHER Para 3...

Sure a cool little folder, glad for the many who obviously enjoy it, but sometimes I am a bit baffled when I see how it floods the market in I guess as of right now already 30 different versions (3 more in the last reveal alone..) and get´s so many of the variations and sprints.

And I said it before: I think it´s an "controversial" knife: Many really love it (and that´s great! :)) but on the other hand many don´t fully get it.
My mistake, I thought this was a thread for suggestions of what forum knife we’d like to have, not the thread where we make multiple posts crapping all over other people’s forum knife choices.