Jumpmaster 2 for large hands?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Jumpmaster 2 for large hands?

Post by TheGiant80 »

The Jumpmaster 2 looks like an absolute beast! Love the design. I'm a huge fan of serrated H1. The overall length is perfect for my needs. The only question I have is....would the handle be cramped for someone with large hands? I won't get a chance to try out the knife before buying it. I'm hoping someone with mitts bigger than medium can chime in with their experiences. I can totally appreciate why the handle is shaped how it is; but would it result in some serious discomfort for me?

I'm also eyeing up the serrated Aqua Salt. That handle is a lot more mellow and probably conducive for someone in my situation, but I find the JM2 much more appealing on the whole. Thanks in advance for the input guys and gals!
sal

Re: Jumpmaster 2 for large hands?

Post by sal »

Hi Giant,

Welcome to our forum.

I wear an XL glove and have no problems with the handle.

sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Depends on how large. That hook at the back of the handle is definitely the factor to consider. I wear large latex or nitrile gloves and the handle on the jumpmaster 2 fits me just fine.

I also have an aqua salt and can tell you that the aqua salts handle gives you a little more room to move around. Slightly more grip area and doesnt lock your hand into it in quite the same way.

I actually think those 2 knives might be the hardest decision in the spyderco catalog. They are both very similar and very different. I really like both. The aqua salt is sort of the ultimate work/beater boat knife, and the jumpmaster 2 is the ultimate bug out/ can probably do anything knife. If I was about to butcher up a huge fish, like a fish thats bigger than me, then give me the aqua salt. If I was about to go trek through the rainforrest I would probably take the jumpmaster 2.

If I was recommending them to a non-knife person who wanted a do everything rustproof fixed blade. I would tell them get the aqua salt. Its cheaper and I cant imagine that knife ever disappointing. But, for not too much more you do get the more generalized fixed blade shape of the jumpmaster 2. But...
I couldnt decide between them and got both. :)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned several of Spyderco's fixed blades over the years. And I have never owed a Spyderco fixed blade that my hand had any problems adapting to. My all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade to this very day is my 2005 era TEMPERANCE 1 model. It is as though that handle on that model was truly tailor made or custom built for my specific hand. It's one of the reasons I just can't let that model go or put it into retirement as I have so many other Spyders I've owned and used over the years.

Even the STREETBEAT seems like it was built specifically for my hand. Can't wait till the Subway Bowie arrives.

I've never yet tried a JUMPMASTER 2 model but I have no doubt it would work well for me.

The only Spyderco models I've ever had any handle discomfort using are some of the smaller Spyderco folders.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Like Sal I too wear extra Large gloves and own the Jumpmaster 2.

The first time I held it not yet being familiar with the hook at the end it felt a bit cramped, but within a very sort time I let that notion go after using it.

In use did not feel cramped at all.

The ergonomics are very good the blade length is perfect for many tasks.

The blade width is less than it appears on the screen and this translates to a super slicer.

The serrations are the more scalloped and less pointy type so they do not snag on different materials.

If you do not have a sharpmaker then you need to buy one to maintain this knife.

This blade in H1 responds very well going from Medium rods, to fine to ultra fine. The UF rods polish the scallops to a very high polish, I can push cut newspaper with mine.

It is a most excellent purchase.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Not sure of my glove size. I'm 5' 8.5" at 220lbs, and it's not a tight grip for me. Plenty of room remaining.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:53 am

Even the STREETBEAT seems like it was built specifically for my hand.
It always amazes me how perfect the Street Beat's handle is. It just melts into the perfect spot, no matter the grip.

Fabulous!

Off topic, but it's just that good.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:08 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:53 am

Even the STREETBEAT seems like it was built specifically for my hand.
It always amazes me how perfect the Street Beat's handle is. It just melts into the perfect spot, no matter the grip.

Fabulous!

Off topic, but it's just that good.
I really like the Street Beat, but I think I'm hankerin for it's big brother the Street Bowie. It looks great!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:38 am
I wear large latex
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:21 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:38 am
I wear large latex
Bloke, this isn't the right site for those kinds of selfies! :P
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson