What is your dominant hand / forum statistics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your dominant hand

Left hand
21%
Right hand
74%
Ambidextrous
5%

Total votes: 144

Enactive

Re: What is your dominant hand / forum statistics

Post by Enactive »

Thanks for the historical and personal detail. :D :spyder: :cool:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Definitely an all-around righty here. When I was a kid I thought I was ambi, because I could write and draw with both hands, just not very well. :-) Then I learned how to write and draw with my right.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Left handed for sure. But I can operate Spyderco Knives with either hand. I prefer Left handed or back lock for daily carry.

Sal keep the Lefties coming. Us Lefties appreciate them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm right handed but there are some interesting exceptions I could add. I shoot archery ( compound bows) left handed>> don't ask me why but for whatever reason I'm more comfortable shooting a bow left handed. I've done that since I got my very first recurve bow as a 12 year old kid.

I can use a Straight Razor with both hands with little problem at all. And when it comes to sharpening chores I can switch off hands if my right hand gets tired or cramping. It sure comes in handy if I've got 4 to 6 knives to sharpen. I do some sharpening for a fee on occasion with a couple of local businesses.

Also I've owned a few of the older "left handed" folders from the 2000-2005 Spyderco era and I've never had a problem using either right or left handed folders. I don't really have an answer for that either :confused:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im currently arm wrestling myself to figure it out.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Thank you for your votes so far.

Hoping to get a sample of 100+ so it could be more relevant.

Looking at some answers, Im sorry I didn't include 2 more options I i initially meant to:
Ambidextrous (left dominant)
Ambidextrous (right dominant)

In my earlier age, I was completely left handed, but with the introduction of cellphones, I see a strange phenomenon: I keep my phone in right pocket, type dominantly with right hand (this was before qwerty keyboards on phones - Nokia and Motorola and similar), and when I answer a call, I put it on my left ear. My right-handed colleague does the same opposite.

Before I was introduced to Spyderco (maybe 12-14 years ago) I would open a linerlock with right hand, and then switch it to the left.

Interesting to see that we have cca 20% lefties so far (OK, a small sample, but this is a good step for me asking for the 39442739283 time for a lefty Para3 in SPY27 :D )
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Semi-ambidextrous (clumsy with either hand).

Kidding, sort of, voted right-handed.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Most definitely left handed. Semi ambidextrous probably by force.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Lefty. Of course as a lefty forced to be and naturally somewhat ambidextrous. I love that Spyderco has many left carry models.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:17 pm
prndltech wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 pm
I write left handed... so I voted left. I do most everything else right handed, I carry and use a knife like a right handed person. Where’s the option for confused folks?
Ambidextrous ?
Ambi-curious? (As in that south park episode :D )
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:39 am
Thank you for your votes so far.

Hoping to get a sample of 100+ so it could be more relevant.

Looking at some answers, Im sorry I didn't include 2 more options I i initially meant to:
Ambidextrous (left dominant)
Ambidextrous (right dominant)

In my earlier age, I was completely left handed, but with the introduction of cellphones, I see a strange phenomenon: I keep my phone in right pocket, type dominantly with right hand (this was before qwerty keyboards on phones - Nokia and Motorola and similar), and when I answer a call, I put it on my left ear. My right-handed colleague does the same opposite.

Before I was introduced to Spyderco (maybe 12-14 years ago) I would open a linerlock with right hand, and then switch it to the left.

Interesting to see that we have cca 20% lefties so far (OK, a small sample, but this is a good step for me asking for the 39442739283 time for a lefty Para3 in SPY27 :D )
I'm right handed but use my left hand for the phone and I think that has help with becoming slightly ambidextrous. And i really try to use my left hand for alot of things just to be versatile as a person
/ David
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Sonorum wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 am
I'm right handed but use my left hand for the phone and I think that has help with becoming slightly ambidextrous. And i really try to use my left hand for alot of things just to be versatile as a person
I think this phenomenon is due to the fact that your dominant hand has to be used for control (where you tap and swipe), and non-dominant is used just to hold the phone.
In the mean time, practicality has forced us to use the non-dominant hand more, as the phone is already in it.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:51 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 am
I think this phenomenon is due to the fact that your dominant hand has to be used for control (where you tap and swipe), and non-dominant is used just to hold the phone.
In the mean time, practicality has forced us to use the non-dominant hand more, as the phone is already in it.
I see what you're saying but I rarely use my right hand with my phone other than typing on the qwerty keyboard, as I do now!
/ David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I started using my left hand for a lot of things as a kid, but one of the things that really pushed my “fine work” ambidexterity were the years I worked as a stenographer (court reporter and real-time captioner for hearing-impaired). To even qualify for the national exam, you had to achieve a speed around 220 to 240 words per minute, with a 98% accuracy rate, IIRC. Besides the steno symbols, back in the ‘90s at least, you also had to pass a typing qualification on a standard typewriter of at least 60 words per minute as well. This constant using of both hands, each typing different symbols on the steno machine at high speeds for extended periods of time, resulted in a high level of ambidexterity in the brain as well as the hands.

Even though I quit closed-captioning back in 2005, every so often, I still find myself typing words in steno symbols in my mind, with my fingers “typing” the air on an imaginary steno machine when I listen to someone talking. :)

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'm a right hander and do most things right handed. I crank fishing reels with my left hand and I can box southpaw if I like. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:37 pm
I'm a right hander and do most things right handed. I crank fishing reels with my left hand and I can box southpaw if I like. :)
That's interesting about the fishing reels BLOKE>> because I've always preferred open faced spinning reels which I mostly operate with my left hand. For some strange reason even though I'm right handed there are things I do well with my left hand. So you can add fishing reel operation to archery.

Most of Spyderco's folders I've owned I do believe either a right handed or left handed person can do well with them.
normal

Post by normal »

I was born lefty, but raised righty because more things are suited to righties. I do alot of things both. Things I was taught as a kid I do mainly right and things that I have taught myself (like pool) I do left. Knives I do both and carry a folder on each side. I actually spydieflick better with my left.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Right handed spinning reels are meant to be cranked left handed.

I've seen people use them upside down and crank backwards with their right hand. :eek: :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:42 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:37 pm
That's interesting about the fishing reels BLOKE>> because I've always preferred open faced spinning reels which I mostly operate with my left hand. For some strange reason even though I'm right handed there are things I do well with my left hand. So you can add fishing reel operation to archery.

Most of Spyderco's folders I've owned I do believe either a right handed or left handed person can do well with them.
jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:56 pm
Right handed spinning reels are meant to be cranked left handed.

I've seen people use them upside down and crank backwards with their right hand. :eek: :D
They are indeed though as you’ve seen, try conveying that to the masses.

Casting with rod in right hand then swapping hands to crank with your right as well had me miffed even as a little tacker. :rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me that game reels here in Oz all come right hand crank only. :confused:

Maybe, all the game fishermen in Oz (except the ones I know) are left handed? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The poll is still running 3:1, right handed:left handed. That’s a lot more lefties than in the general population. Interesting. Righty here.