Straight Razor from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Straight Razor from Spyderco

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:15 am
I must have watched to many western movies. Dry shaved? I have zero interest in this and dont want a barber in my face with that lethal weapon.

Cant remember, was it Hang em High when Clint Eastwood was getting a Shave?

Disposables last a few shaves and throw them in the trash when done
No one dry shaves and you do your own shaving. Besides, throwing plastic razors in the trash pollutes the land and our oceans. We are getting fat because we have all ingested microplastics from the trash we throw away. A straight razor (or double edged safety razor) shaves better and is far better for the environment. Plus, you don't get ingrown hairs, shaving bumps, and shaving irritation from a straight razor like you do from a disposable. That all sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

Of course, I understand if it isn't what you want. Honestly, they scared me. But, I decided to try it as I knew some others who were a lot more klutzy than I am. I loved it. I've been hooked since. There is something meditative and calming about just you, the soap, and the razor, concentrating on one thing and thinking of nothing else for a few minutes.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:45 am
Maybe our dream will come true and we will get a Spyderco, full or 3/4 hollow ground, 6/8 razor. A 5/8 is okay. Anything smaller is too small and anything larger than 6/8 is too big, at least for me. I'm just bumping this to keep it alive.

While waiting, I contacted Steve Colling of Prosperine Razor in Australia and asked him to make me a razor. It will be assembled tomorrow, but here is the picture I have of it awaiting the paua shell scales to be attached to the blade. Image
Think about a Spyderco like this.
Needs a compression lock! Or at least a slip joint
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:15 am
Disposables last a few shaves and throw them in the trash when done
Part of why we started using safety razors, and why some are using straights, is out of a sense of history and tradition. Part of it is to avoid the high cost of using disposables, and partly we detest plastic waste and disposable culture. With a DE safety razor the expendable part of the system is just a blade. You could actually sharpen them if you had the skill and gumption. You could dissolve them in weak acid if you really wanted to have no waste.

Of course, Doc knows that I’m still waiting to get to the “saving money” part… so’s he :winking-tongue But with a modest investment and some good advice you could be shaving economically in no time. $20 for an 8-pack of gillette mach III cartridges or $2.75 for a 10-pack of Feather safety blades? You might get twice as many shaves from the Mach III carts as from the Feather DE blades, but the DE shaving will cost you a lot less and give you a better experience.

You can go down the rabbithole with the brushes, soaps and aftershaves, like many of us, or you can stick with Barbasol and Old Spice. It all works. When I started DE shaving I just swapped the razor, but now I’m doing the whole brush and lather thing. It turned out to be surprisingly satisfactory and enjoyable.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well said @Woodpuppy. People don't realize what they are missing because they have bought into the advertizing pressure for all of their lives. (Just like Santa in a red and white suit)

Of course, Spyderco could partner with Henson or Blackland or some high tech place for a safety razor, and I even suggested that, but got nowhere. However, Sal used to shave with a straight razor and it is super enjoyable. Plus, there is a lot of high tech know how in these things. Another thing is that there is zero waste. After eighty shaves or more, you just resharpen the thing (get a professional to do it. It's not expensive).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hey go easy on the fat jolly man!!!
sal

Post by sal »

I really enjoyed the experience of shaving with a straight. I even made razors out of kitchen knives. I think Doc has it down very well. More of a "time to stop the world and experience the timeless act of scraping the fur off of my face in a traditional manner". Almost mystical.

However, I see the project as more involved than just making a straight razor. I would like to find or create the teaching tool, the how to, along with the many opinions and point of view. The making of the lather, the way to hold and use the straight, the maintenance of the edge, the best mirrors and the whole experience. Like, "This is my time in church".

Doc, I didn't ignore your information, I'm just busier than a hooker in a penitentiary, my assistant is gone and I'm so far behind the wave, I need a motor on my surf board just to catch it.

I think it would be good to do a collab with an existing company, in addition to making or own straights.

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Sal

A thought or two?

Maybe a collab with Mike Blue will be easier, as he has knowledge that most razor makers have already?

Making your own straights from the offset will stamp your mark, as it were.

With my limited skills when I was around 17 years old, I used 3mm O1 steel, and ground it on a self made water cooled bench grinder.
I paid someone else to HT it, and when it got back, I used roundish carborundum stones to clean out the hollow ( around 6 inch radius )

I then used a wooden dowel and up to 600 grit silicon carbide wet and dry paper abrasives to "finish" it off.
It looked usable and I did use it, even though the edge was maybe 0.2 mm thick. A water stone refined the edge.
I used my dad's old strop and it worked for me, even though i did not know exactly what I was doing.
The edge was not flexible enough in hindsight, but I did not have too many slashes arcoss my face :)

I do have that razor somewhere, ( my dad kept it ) but after spending the last 4 months clearing out my mother's house, searching through boxes is not my idea of fun right now.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:50 pm
I really enjoyed the experience of shaving with a straight. I even made razors out of kitchen knives. I think Doc has it down very well. More of a "time to stop the world and experience the timeless act of scraping the fur off of my face in a traditional manner". Almost mystical.

However, I see the project as more involved than just making a straight razor. I would like to find or create the teaching tool, the how to, along with the many opinions and point of view. The making of the lather, the way to hold and use the straight, the maintenance of the edge, the best mirrors and the whole experience. Like, "This is my time in church".

Doc, I didn't ignore your information, I'm just busier than a hooker in a penitentiary, my assistant is gone and I'm so far behind the wave, I need a motor on my surf board just to catch it.

I think it would be good to do a collab with an existing company, in addition to making or own straights.

sal
:rofl

I'm glad you got the information. One of those is a larger operation and the others small one man shops. My Colling is on its way from AUS and I'll let everyone know about the quality when it gets here.

As for the "how-to" information, I think I sent some to you, and I actually have more. We could put together a booklet from information learned from the experts over the years. Really, using a straight razor is not as scary as I thought it was when I first started. It was all in my head. Sure, I've nicked myself, but nothing bad, and get this...only three times. I've done worse with a multiblade throw away razor.

Anyway, I know one of those uses C135, another couple use 1.2210, and one has stainless, and another uses 0-1 as an option. There are some larger makers but I have been less than impressed by their modern efforts.

This is a fun project to imagine and I can see you having a lot of fun with it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

My fingers are so thick I don't put three on the front. But the idea is the same. I do two passes, one with and one against the grain, and touch up as needed. Fun video.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Just wanted to say that I always keep an eye on this thread. I don’t have much to contribute, but I am interested!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

This needs to happen and when it does, we can blast it all over the various and very active wet shaving forums. A well done razor would get a lot of love and attention.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gairdner

Post by Gairdner »

Hi guys,

I’m Graeme from Scotland and this’ll be my first post. I would absolutely love the idea of a straight razor made by Spyderco.

I’ve been using Spyderco bench stones (medium, fine and ultra-fine) for a good few years to sharpen and hone my wood carving and general purpose knives. I also have the Double Stuff combi for out and about use as well as the pouch set of different shaped fine slip-stones. Whilst I do own a full set of high quality Japanese water stones, I find the Spyderco ceramics to be vastly superior.

Additionally, I’m a very keen wet shaver having seen the light back in 2012 when I first picked up a double edge (DE) razor. I’m now at the stage where I’m keen to make the switch to straights but first I want to make a leather strop. I have some basic leather working skills and a few good buddies to help me out.

I have three old Sheffield-made straight razors which I’ll send off to a mate for honing before I learn the art. When my technique is proficient, I’d love to hone these razors (and a Spyderco one) myself. Is the Spyderco ultra-fine stone suitable as a finishing stone or do I need something finer?

Lastly, I’m sorry to say I don’t have any Spyderco knives but the Spyderco sharpening stones I own are second to none.

Please Sal, make a Spyderco straight razor and I’ll do what little I can to splash it all over the shaving forums and Facebook groups. Oh, and at least include an option to have heavy duty, hard wood scales like Wenge, Iroko, Rosewood or Lignum Vitae. However, whatever you decide upon will be great, I’m sure. I’m afraid I’m just a wood tart!

My grateful thanks,
Graeme the Gairdner

P.S. ‘Gairdner’ is Scots for gardener.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Gairdner wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:51 pm
Hi guys,

I’m Graeme from Scotland and this’ll be my first post. I would absolutely love the idea of a straight razor made by Spyderco.

I’ve been using Spyderco bench stones (medium, fine and ultra-fine) for a good few years to sharpen and hone my wood carving and general purpose knives. I also have the Double Stuff combi for out and about use as well as the pouch set of different shaped fine slip-stones. Whilst I do own a full set of high quality Japanese water stones, I find the Spyderco ceramics to be vastly superior.

Additionally, I’m a very keen wet shaver having seen the light back in 2012 when I first picked up a double edge (DE) razor. I’m now at the stage where I’m keen to make the switch to straights but first I want to make a leather strop. I have some basic leather working skills and a few good buddies to help me out.

I have three old Sheffield-made straight razors which I’ll send off to a mate for honing before I learn the art. When my technique is proficient, I’d love to hone these razors (and a Spyderco one) myself. Is the Spyderco ultra-fine stone suitable as a finishing stone or do I need something finer?

Lastly, I’m sorry to say I don’t have any Spyderco knives but the Spyderco sharpening stones I own are second to none.

Please Sal, make a Spyderco straight razor and I’ll do what little I can to splash it all over the shaving forums and Facebook groups. Oh, and at least include an option to have heavy duty, hard wood scales like Wenge, Iroko, Rosewood or Lignum Vitae. However, whatever you decide upon will be great, I’m sure. I’m afraid I’m just a wood tart!

My grateful thanks,
Graeme the Gairdner

Hi, Graeme:
Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Graeme,

I used an Ultra fine and a leather strop when I was shaving with a straight. Nothing on the strop, just the polished leather. There were times when I even stropped while shaving to keep the edge crisp.

Looking back, I stropped for 40 strokes each time I stropped. I was forty at the time. I'm eighty now.

sal
cjk

Post by cjk »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:16 pm
Hi Graeme,

I used an Ultra fine and a leather strop when I was shaving with a straight. Nothing on the strop, just the polished leather. There were times when I even stropped while shaving to keep the edge crisp.

Looking back, I stropped for 40 strokes each time I stropped. I was forty at the time. I'm eighty now.

sal

Eighty? No way. You and Mrs Glesser could easily tell me y'all were in your 50's and I'd believe you.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Yowza! And the Mrs. can still throw gut punches effectively to save lives? The heck with Hollywood. You guys are truly a power couple.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gairdner

Post by Gairdner »

Thank you kindly for the replies. I think I’ll have a go with one of my Sheffield straights: and old ‘Rico’ by Marsh Bros. Pond street. I’ll tape the spine and start with medium going right through to the ultra fine. But first, that’s trip needs a-making.

Best regards,
Graeme
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Gairdner wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:51 pm
Hi guys,

My grateful thanks,
Graeme the Gairdner

I'm not sure the Spyderco ultra fine is fine enough. It is great on knives, but the grit needs to be 12k for a straight razor finish. If Spyderco does make the razor, then one day maybe they will make hones in progressions of 5k, 8k, 10k, 12k and smooth and perfectly flat, 3.5 inches/8.89cm wide at least. I'm still learning about honing.

I use a buffalo leather strap for my stropping. It is medium stiff. Of course, cordovan would be the best, but I'm not made out of money. I might get a kangaroo strop the next time.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I get good shaving edges from the UF, but among other things it required flattening and lapping mirror smooth, which was a lot of work. I use a good cushion of oil in the last 50, very light (blade weight), strokes.
If it were the only finisher I had available, I'd be ok with it.

Having said that, I place it before a black or translucent arkansas.
So far, I haven't found anything that the ark can't improve.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

One thing that is very different about using a traditional straight razor, as compared to other razors, is soul. A straight razor seems to have personality and the two, human and razor, get to know each other intimately. You know the razor's dislikes and likes, its faults and strengths. They even seem to get jealous if you use another razor and will give you a love nick when you return to it. That all sounds weird, but shaving with a straight razor is a whole different experience.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050