Straight Razor from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jgreenepa

Re: Straight Razor from Spyderco

Post by Jgreenepa »

I use a straight razor for my mug and a safety razor for my dome. Currently shave about every other day. A straight razor is remarkably efficient when properly honed, but is not the tool to use if in a hurry. I’m retired, but when I worked I only straight shaved on weekends. I used a safety razor, otherwise. A friend of mine on one of the dedicated shave forums produced some good working rules for when to straight shave. They are:

If a spouse or child or pet may burst into your shave den mid shave then put down the straight and pick up a safety razor.

If you are in a hurry or a rush or late then put down the straight and pick up a safety razor.

If you are not focused or just don't 'feel it' then put down the straight and pick up a safety razor.

If the razor is tugging for pulling or does not feel sharp then put down the straight and pick up a safety razor.

Believe me they are good guides! LOL
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:30 am
Hi Jackson,

Mike, Ed and Howard are my Guru's in this project. Enormous amount of information that they have and better still, are willing to share. I plan on learning their heat treatment techniques and trying Bainite in other applications. It's an exciting project that we've been discussing for a long time.

sal
I just hope this happens. It would be such a grand Christmas if this Spyder Straight Razor and the C-60 Ayoob model both get released at the same time.

If this indeed does happen I will go back to shaving with a straight Razor again. A few years back I got one of those Straight Razors that GARRETT WADE was selling as a promotional item. It was made by Theirs Issard and was actually considered a pretty decent unit at the time.

But Spyderco also needs to sell it in a kit along with a boar bristle shaving cream brush and a strop.

This would make a colossal Christmas gift. To hear that this is a "GREEN LIGHT GO!!" along with the C-60 Ayoob in PE & SE>> I can say that the year 2020 isn't as bad of a year as I thought it would be :cool:
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:12 am
sal wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:30 am
Hi Jackson,

Mike, Ed and Howard are my Guru's in this project. Enormous amount of information that they have and better still, are willing to share. I plan on learning their heat treatment techniques and trying Bainite in other applications. It's an exciting project that we've been discussing for a long time.

sal
I just hope this happens. It would be such a grand Christmas if this Spyder Straight Razor and the C-60 Ayoob model both get released at the same time.

If this indeed does happen I will go back to shaving with a straight Razor again. A few years back I got one of those Straight Razors that GARRETT WADE was selling as a promotional item. It was made by Theirs Issard and was actually considered a pretty decent unit at the time.

But Spyderco also needs to sell it in a kit along with a boar bristle shaving cream brush and a strop.

This would make a colossal Christmas gift. To hear that this is a "GREEN LIGHT GO!!" along with the C-60 Ayoob in PE & SE>> I can say that the year 2020 isn't as bad of a year as I thought it would be :cool:
Don't forget to subtly plug the Massad Ayoob.. ;)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
laker_cj

Post by laker_cj »

They have quite the market, and I know a few people that collect them. I think it'd do fairly well. I'd also agree with the cigar cutter. Both seem like good options for sprint or flash batches.
My Owned :spyder: - Tasman Salt; Endura; Delica; Embassy; Tenacious; Kitchen Santoku; Yojimbo2; Pattada; SpyderPac; Para 3; Paramilitary 2; Ouroboros; Dragonfly; Squarehead; Ambitious; Ladybug; Kitchen Utility; Cricket; Rescue; Pingo; Native 5; Gayle Bradley Folder; Rubicon; Dice; Remote Release II; Manix; Moran Drop Point; Polestar; Ikuchi; Sliverax; Bow River; Szabo Folder
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm still eagerly anticipating this.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I think this is exciting also. I love my vintage Gillette Fatboy and slim adjustables. Those and a good blade are far superior to the multi-blade disposables. This would give me the push to give a straight razor a serious try.

And after reading Larrin's article on Bainite, even more interested.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:50 pm
Hi Jpm, King Rat,

FYI, the origination of the ultra fine stone was when I was shaving with a straight razor. I needed a finer stone that the fine ceramic, so i "gritted" down a fine stone that I had split to a 1 X 6. I used a diamond hone to grit it down, which worked on the ceramic , but ruined the diamond stone. It worked so well I decided to make the ultra fine 2 X 6 (black box), which is a gritted down fine stone done by long term tumbling. Then I decided to make the 3 X 8 Ultra fine which is kind of an ultimate stone that will work with knives, razors and woodworking tools.

sal
So Sal, just for my dense brain, are you saying there's a different level of finish between the UF 3 x8 versus the UF 2x6 black box version? I have all 3 grits in the 2x6 versions and thought I was set (well between those and CBN stones I purchased from Shawn). Thanks
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Pretty sure they are the same grit finish, but the extra surface area of the 3 x 8 over the 2 x 6 makes it much more useful for things like plane bits and other larger woodworking tools. Thats what makes it "the ultimate stone".
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Jgreenepa wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:05 pm
I use a straight razor for my mug and a safety razor for my dome. Currently shave about every other day. A straight razor is remarkably efficient when properly honed, but is not the tool to use if in a hurry. I’m retired, but when I worked I only straight shaved on weekends. I used a safety razor, otherwise. A friend of mine on one of the dedicated shave forums produced some good working rules for when to straight shave. They are:

If a spouse or child or pet may burst into your shave den mid shave then put down the straight and pick up a safety razor.

If you are in a hurry or a rush or late then put down the straight and pick up a safety razor.

If you are not focused or just don't 'feel it' then put down the straight and pick up a safety razor.

If the razor is tugging for pulling or does not feel sharp then put down the straight and pick up a safety razor.

Believe me they are good guides! LOL
Hey there Jgreenepa. Thanks for taking the time to type in all of this. It makes excellent sense.
A lot like how I feel about doing some things in my machine shop. I won't do some work unless I have
no distractions and good concentration.

And I see you are new here. Welcome aboard and thanks for saving my skin!

And yes, I am excited about the Spyderco straight, especially seeing that Sal is putting his all into it.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:09 pm
I'd prolly wind up in the dam E.R. lol
I’ll meet you there. We can compare the damage.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jgreenepa,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Bemo,

Both UF stones are the same. grit.

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks Sal, I won't need to take my xanax now. I'm set on stones. Well except the Gold stone coming tomorrow and the CBN when it's released and.....
Tucson Tom

Abraham Lincoln's straight razor story

Post by Tucson Tom »

I've been reading a Lincoln biography. Lincoln often answered questions by saying, "that reminds me of a story". Here is one that captures the spirit of shaving with a straight razor that I thought all of you would enjoy:

The barber began by lathering face, nose, eyes, and ears, stropped his razor on his boot, and then made a drive at the man's countenance as if he had practiced mowing in a stubblefield. He cut a bold swath across the right cheek, carrying away the beard, a pimple, and two warts. The man in the chair ventured to remark, "You appear to make everything level as you go." Yes, said the barber; and if this handle don't break, I guess I'll get away with most of what's there.

The man's cheeks were so hollow that the barber couldn't get down into the valleys with the razor, and the ingenious idea occurred to him to stick his finger in the man's mouth and press out the cheeks. Finally he cut clear through the cheek and into his own finger. He pulled the finger out of the man's mouth, snapped the blood off it, glared at him, and cried, "There, you lantern jawed cuss, you've made me cut my finger!"
jpm2

Re: Abraham Lincoln's straight razor story

Post by jpm2 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:53 am
The barber began by lathering face, nose, eyes, and ears, stropped his razor on his boot, and then made a drive at the man's countenance as if he had practiced mowing in a stubblefield. He cut a bold swath across the right cheek, carrying away the beard, a pimple, and two warts. The man in the chair ventured to remark, "You appear to make everything level as you go." Yes, said the barber; and if this handle don't break, I guess I'll get away with most of what's there.

The man's cheeks were so hollow that the barber couldn't get down into the valleys with the razor, and the ingenious idea occurred to him to stick his finger in the man's mouth and press out the cheeks. Finally he cut clear through the cheek and into his own finger. He pulled the finger out of the man's mouth, snapped the blood off it, glared at him, and cried, "There, you lantern jawed cuss, you've made me cut my finger!"
With "stories" like that, no wonder people are scared to use a staright razor. :p

For the last 6 months I've been using a couple of vintage straights every day, a Boker and a Clauss. In that time I've only drawn blood once, which was in the 1st week... and just a handfull of times raising a small whelp with no blood. I now attribute those nicks to improper sharpening, improper shaving, or both.

I'm starting to get comfortable with SR shaving techniques and sharpening, and plan to use nothing else for shaving as long as my hands stay steady.
I'm really looking forward to Spyderco's razor.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Hoping the Spyderco straight razor is in the next catalog. If I work from home another few months I might have to wait for the Spyderco machete to chop off this beard.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm not ready yet. Still working on my straight razor sharpening and honing. But considering how backed up Spyderco is on new releases, actually I'm probably ok. lol
sal

Post by sal »

Yeah. Sorry 'bout that. The whole project is on hold until we can get back together. Mike and I discussed this and we think we'd like to make the first piece out or Banite. (He twisted my arm :p ). Mike and Ed are working on a heat treating system that we can use to stop at banite in heat treat. We've been unable to do much apart. Something about a virus?

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m waiting patiently but my facial hair is getting out of hand!

Should this be called the Spyderco Glabrous?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Should give my facial hair some time to mature :D Always wanted to try a straight razor!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

For all forumites that are considering classic wet shaving - do it.
Yes, I am biased, but for last 8 months of shaving with DE razor, brush and soap was never been happier with shaving.
I am shaving every day, because I start to like it so much.
And really, wet shaving start could be made really on cheap, and in long run it's so much cheaper than cartridge and foam.
Straight razor are fun, but are bit more finicky (honing, stropping....). I would wholeheartedly recommend to start wet shaving with DE and then ,, upgrade,, to SR, even from Spyderco.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45