Quick question: Upcoming K390 Endura family: Sprint runs or regular production?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dan31

Re: Quick question: Upcoming K390 Endura family: Sprint runs or regular production?

Post by dan31 »

WOW!!!
blendergasket

Re: Quick question: Upcoming K390 Endura family: Sprint runs or regular production?

Post by blendergasket »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:27 am
It was decided that the K390 Endura family series will NOT be a Sprint, but regular "In-the-line" models.

sal
This is great news! K390 is a superb steel.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

YES!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:05 am
Do you think K390 would be a proper steel for a serrated version of the Wharnie Delica too? Or are serrations better kept in a "softer" steel like VG10? (I can remember something along the lines that ZDP turned out to be TOO hard (brittle?) to become a main steel for serrated edges, so the ZDP SE Spydies where discountinued).
Hey Wartstein, thanks for the question, my friend. :)

I’ve wondered the same thing myself. I presume Spyderco do pretty extensive R&D testing of all the steels they use, including trying out prototype mules in SE to see how they perform.

Although I’m no expert on serrated edges, I very much like the performance of the ones I have in ingot stainless steels at around the 59 Rc mark (or perhaps less in the case of H1).

We all know the virtues of H1 in SE, but I think Ginsanko/G1 in my UKPK makes an excellent serrated edge, being relatively tough in practical use, and easy to bring to razor sharpness.

VG10 is probably my favourite SE steel I’ve tried so far.

By most accounts LC200N and CTS BD1N seem to be excellent performers in SE as well. Although I haven’t tried either, I have an SE Caribbean on my ‘long list’ to complement my PE version, and have a SE Z-Cut currently on the way to Australia, so I can play with CTS BD1N in SE.

All these steels sit in a fairly similar kind of performance niche.

I’d guess there’s a reason why Spyderco don’t offer SE blades in S110V. You also don’t tend to hear that many accolades about S30V in SE - I’m not saying it isn’t a good performer in SE, just that you don’t tend to hear the same volume of praise you do compared to, say, HI SE.

I think I recall too Sal might have said ZDP189 wasn’t ideal for SE blades.

Those SE edges are ground quite thin and to a very acute angle - around 16-17 degrees inclusive on some knives - and the tips of the teeth take more impact damage than PE when cutting on hard surfaces.

So on the one hand, K390 is also run fairly hard - between about 62 and 65 RC - and has a relatively high carbide volume. Given these qualities, we might expect it to be less than ideal for SE.

On the other hand, it does take a fairly thin, acute edge and remains quite stable. My K390 knives have never noticeably chipped from ‘normal’ rough utility use.

I remember when K390 was new, a couple of Bohler employees were discussing it on another forum. A knifemaker asked if it would be suitable steel to make a thinly ground straight razor from.

The Bohler metallurgists said it would make an excellent straight razor.

At the time I was a little dubious of this, given the high carbide volume, but after using three different thinly reground K390 knives for a while, I’m willing to believe it might work in that application.

So all that’s a roundabout way of saying In real world use, K390 might actually work quite well in a SE blade.

But I guess it also depends on what materials you would be cutting with it.
Thanks, my friend, for taking the time, replying in detail and your thoughts! :)

I, too, love VG10 in SE. Works great, and is really tough enough in my use.
So I would not need any "better" "higher end" steel for my SE blades (or such a steel would even be a disadvantage for being not though enough for SE)

It´s just that I am very much looking forward to the K390 Endura and Endela.. I think I´ll really like the steel just by its properties, but also, tbh, cause it is an Austrain steel and that´s of course is a nice thing for me as an Austrian... ;)

Since these days I clearly begin to prefer SE over PE in my EDC folders (and REALLY hope for an FFG SE Endura!!) I just hope this line will come also in SE, and the steel is at least ok for that... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Excellent :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Foghorne

Post by Foghorne »

Fantastic news!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
It was decided that the K390 Endura family series will NOT be a Sprint, but regular "In-the-line" models.

sal

Good deal. Will be great not having to stress about refreshing websites to get popular models like the Delica and Dragonfly. Now, what are the odds we can bring the Jester back in this series??? :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow incredible news!! This is amazing, now i dont have to rush and buy two delicas and dragonflys

Maybe even pickup a stretch eventually
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Glad to hear more than just the ladybug will be regular production! Thanks for the update, Sal.

:spyder:
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:46 pm
sal wrote:

sal

Good deal. Will be great not having to stress about refreshing websites to get popular models like the Delica and Dragonfly. Now, what are the odds we can bring the Jester back in this series??? :D
Exactly my thoughts! The real bombshell will be when we get hints of the Jester being part of those K390 production plans! :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Since this isn't going to be a Sprint, I'm officially voting for Cruwear for the next Endura family Sprint Series, although I'd actually like to see Cruwear as regular production as well. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Shazam! I am glad for all the Seki model fans. I avoid all the Seki models myself -- but I am very glad for the rest of you. This is pretty amazing.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

sal wrote:

sal
Wow, that’s Awesome! Spyderco is taking no prisoners in 2020.

If it’s not to much to ask- please consider making some Wharncliffe k390 Delicas if possible. :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Guess the collection isn't going to slow down this year.

I'm in for an Endura, Delica, and a Ladybug.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:03 pm
Shazam! I am glad for all the Seki model fans. I avoid all the Seki models myself -- but I am very glad for the rest of you. This is pretty amazing.

Just out of interest: Why do you avoid them?
Should it be for doubts concerning qualitx: Let me say, especially the newer ones I got (Endela, straight spine Stretch, Pac Salt) were perfect concerning fit and finish.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

This is great news. Can't wait to get my hands on a Delica K390.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 am
All the wharncliffes need k390! :D
+1
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Stoked! I was fearing the sprint scramble :D
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

This is great news, Sal.
--Jeremy
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:34 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Should it be for doubts concerning qualitx: Let me say, especially the newer ones I got (Endela, straight spine Stretch, Pac Salt) were perfect concerning fit and finish.
Nothing negative at all. No anti Japanese attitude. Nothing like that. Really just two things. I prefer the designs of the knives made in Golden, and avoiding the Seki lineup saves me a lot of money! I do own a few (Police 4, Caly) and they are just fine. But I am already spending more money than I should picking up sprints and exclusives of Golden models (with a thing or two from Taiwan thrown in now and then, not to mention China). It is kind of nice to just draw the line and live in a simpler world, if that makes sense.

I owned a Pacific Salt once. I gave it to a friend who spends months fishing in Alaska -- I may pick that up again, probably in SE the second time around.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:48 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:34 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Nothing negative at all. No anti Japanese attitude. Nothing like that. Really just two things. I prefer the designs of the knives made in Golden, and avoiding the Seki lineup saves me a lot of money! I do own a few (Police 4, Caly) and they are just fine. But I am already spending more money than I should picking up sprints and exclusives of Golden models (with a thing or two from Taiwan thrown in now and then, not to mention China). It is kind of nice to just draw the line and live in a simpler world, if that makes sense.

I owned a Pacific Salt once. I gave it to a friend who spends months fishing in Alaska -- I may pick that up again, probably in SE the second time around.

Thanks for your reply and the explanation!

Totally understand that, I also try to narrow down the numbers of Spydies I have and buy by focusing on the features I like the most - for example back locks or FRN - which does not mean at all that I would dislike other features (like other locks, G10...).
And many of the models I prefer going by these features just happen to be Seki made.