Quick question: Upcoming K390 Endura family: Sprint runs or regular production?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
speedseeker

Re: Quick question: Upcoming K390 Endura family: Sprint runs or regular production?

Post by speedseeker »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:14 pm
The plan is for a sprint series. I'd like to do all of the models in the "Endura family". I'd be intrested in what additional blade configs you wight also like?

sal
Sal, please please please...I'd like to respectfully request more of the Jazz Wharncliffe. I'd buy every steel and family member you offered, but most interested in Delica, Endela, and Dragonfly.
Last edited by speedseeker on Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedseeker

Re: Quick question: Upcoming K390 Endura family: Sprint runs or regular production?

Post by speedseeker »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:44 am
sal wrote:
I'd be intrested in what additional blade configs you wight also like?

sal

Please do the Delica wharncliffe. For some reason, I really like that knife a lot. ;)
Haha...this guy. ;) #wharniesrule
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oh yeah. K390 Endura come on!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Here is the order of "want" for me in the K390 production series (can be applied to a future sprint series in FRN Cruwear or Cru-carta as well! :D )

Jester
PE Delica
PE Dfly
Wharnie Delica
Wharnie Dfly
PE Dfly Hawkbill
Endela
Endura
Straight Spine Stretch
Police 4 LW

bonus: dropping any new models like a "dodofly" or "cricketfly", or maybe an updated FRN Cricket 2 with wire clip and bi-directional texture on both scale sides
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I will buy a Stretch and i would prefer the straight spine variant. I will also likely pick up a Delica as well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

Question about the k390 Endura family, and sprints / other steels in this family generally.

Will the blade grind be thin enough to justify the use of k390?

The regular run of Endura / Delica etc. seem to have a pretty thick edge (-.025”)*, which is reasonable for VG 10 I guess, but I’d be disappointed if my K390 Endura had an edge that thick. I have the Urban in this steel, and it is the thinnest edge of any spyderco I own.

So, I guess my question is, does spyderco attenuate the blade grind to the characteristics of the steel, or are all Enduras basically ground the same?

*edited
Last edited by Paracelsus on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I reprofile all my spyders to 15dps anyway. Endura family is thinner stick than para family.
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:46 pm
I reprofile all my spyders to 15dps anyway. Endura family is thinner stick than para family.
I just realized that I misspoke in my post and totally misstated my point.

I meant the thickness behind the edge, and I meant to say .025” but I wrote 25 deg. I edited the original post to fix this.

Ya, I also go 15 degrees on the sharpmaker for pretty much everything, so how well my knives cut really depends much more on how thin the blade is behind the edge bevel, than the thickness of the stock.

For example: my drop point ukpk has the thinnest stock, but the thickest edge of all my spydercos. It cuts okay, but underperforms compared to all the others.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Gotcha!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

It's amazing that these are going to be regular line production! I can't wait. There have been times when a newer version has been thinner behind the edge, so we could hope for that. If I remember correctly (don't have time to go measure right now) the newer mule team knives are thinner, and I have one of the original Manix 2 Pilot Run knives in 154CM, and it's considerably thicker behind the edge than the current ones. It's great that the Seki series is already thinner stock than Paras, Manix, etc.

If they were all ready at one time I think I'd buy in this order:

1) Straight Spine Stretch 2
2) Endela
3) Wharncliffe Delica
4) Wharncliffe and/or regular Dragonfly
5) Endura (already have ZDP, Super Blue, and Hap40, or this might be #1).
6) Police 4 (already have K390 in G-10 or this one would be near the top)

I'm already sitting on the edge of my chair in anticipation and my breath is about to get bated :p ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

K390 is a solid performer, but I would suggest going all diamond when sharpening it.

It could be that K390 Endura may become my first Endura.....but I know myself good enough that I change my mind like 100 times before it comes out :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Can’t wait for the Endura and P4 LW.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JMM

Post by JMM »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:12 am
Can’t wait for the Endura and P4 LW.
+1

so much yes - p4 lw, then stretch, then endela, then anything wharnie

i have more enduras & delicas than I will ever need.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

P4 LW in K390 will be an instant buy for me. Same with the Dragonfly. The only other "family" member I care for is the Stretch, but I'm not decided on picking that one up in K390 because I carry my ZDP variant so rarely.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

sal wrote:
The plan is for a sprint series. I'd like to do all of the models in the "Endura family". I'd be intrested in what additional blade configs you wight also like?

sal
Police 4 LW, K390, fully serrated. I've been interested in trying serrated K390 since I first used the steel.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I think full SE is not going to be a good choice for K390.
If you chip your edge inside the scallop, you will hate your life repairing it in sharpmaker stones, even with diamonds. I think that going below 30° inclusive is not a good choice, and SE edge is well bellow 30°, more like 20° and a micro on other side.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JMM

Post by JMM »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:12 am
I think full SE is not going to be a good choice for K390.
If you chip your edge inside the scallop, you will hate your life repairing it in sharpmaker stones, even with diamonds. I think that going below 30° inclusive is not a good choice, and SE edge is well bellow 30°, more like 20° and a micro on other side.
So what do you think would be a better tool steel option in it's place... 4V, Rex45, Cruwear?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

JMM wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:28 am

So what do you think would be a better tool steel option in it's place... 4V, Rex45, Cruwear?
Hard to say, but I think with Cru-Wear it could work quite good, it has good toughness and it is not packed with ultra hard carbides.
Bigspyder

Post by Bigspyder »

Is there any information when these k390 knives might come out?
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Bigspyder wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:42 am
Is there any information when these k390 knives might come out?
The Ladybug in K390 should be out in the next few weeks, and then next reveal is coming beginning of May I believe, and we should see a few other models of the series being released then
Justin :spyder: