Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Poll ended at Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:38 am

CPM 20CV
14
11%
CPM S90V
7
5%
CPM SPY27 (=handle color Cobalt Blue)
46
35%
CPM S45VN
12
9%
CTS 204P
7
5%
CTS 20CP
7
5%
LC200N
25
19%
VG-10
2
2%
Super Gold2
1
1%
HAP40
9
7%
 
Total votes: 130

Ric
Member
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 pm
Location: Austria / Europe

Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby Ric » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:38 am

It seems that in the final poll we are choosing between
Shaman
UK Pen
Lil Native
and one secret contender :-)

Now, we should talk steel.
I selected these because of 20 in the name, S90V (obviously), or they were introduced in 2020.
Also 2 tool steels are included.

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 1437
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby kennethsime » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 am

I'm into Spy27, I kind of think it should definitely be that.

I'm less into the cobalt blue. I get it, I just don't really like blue knives.
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly VG-10 Foliage Green
MT27 Mule Team 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 Ranger Green

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3630
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby steelcity16 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:04 am

write in for Cruwear
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
rabbitanarchy14
Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:25 am
Location: Michigan, USA, Earth
Contact:

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby rabbitanarchy14 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:06 am

i second cruwear but am ok with 20cv as well. out of the list of contenders i would only buy the lil native.
01010011 01110000 01111001 01100100 01100101 01110010 01100011 01101111 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100110 01100101
In-Possession - Para 3 S35VN, Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native S30V comp, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM 2 M390 DLC BL, PM 2 K390 RG, Cat BD1N
On-Deck - D'allara 3, Techno 2 w/G10
Loved Steels - M390, S30V, Rex 45, BD1N, K390

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5902
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby Wartstein » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 am

I love HAP40.. if cladded even more so.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Ric
Member
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 pm
Location: Austria / Europe

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby Ric » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 am

According Reveal 4 SPY27: Every knife made with this steel will also have a distinctive cobalt-blue handle color that hightlights its elite pedigree.

Cruwear point is taken...

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 2765
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby Sumdumguy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 am

YES... Let the Salt flow through you!!!

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3818
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby The Meat man » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:25 am

Damasteel.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 2396
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: Thoroughly brassed off with 2020

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby ChrisinHove » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:04 am

SPY27 gets my vote. The likely attributes discussed of fine carbides, high edge stability, ease of sharpening look very appealing.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 2661
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby JuPaul » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 am

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:04 am
write in for Cruwear
+1. Also voted for SPY27. Seems fitting for a 2020 forum knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 2661
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby JuPaul » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 am

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 am
I love HAP40.. if cladded even more so.
Can hap40 be done on a Golden model? Thought rex45 was the Golden take on hap40.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9681
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 am

Maxamet Military!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5902
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby Wartstein » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 am

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 am
I love HAP40.. if cladded even more so.
Can hap40 be done on a Golden model? Thought rex45 was the Golden take on hap40.

Good point!
I did not think about it, just saw the poll and quickly choose an already listed option.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9681
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:39 am

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 am
I love HAP40.. if cladded even more so.
Can hap40 be done on a Golden model? Thought rex45 was the Golden take on hap40.

Good point!
I did not think about it, just saw the poll and quickly choose an already listed option.
Rex45 is HAP40 with a good heat treat. The same steel but being baked by a better chef. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5902
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby Wartstein » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:46 am

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:39 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 am
I love HAP40.. if cladded even more so.
Can hap40 be done on a Golden model? Thought rex45 was the Golden take on hap40.

Good point!
I did not think about it, just saw the poll and quickly choose an already listed option.
Rex45 is HAP40 with a good heat treat. The same steel but being baked by a better chef. ;)
Thanks! I knew that, but not that the Rex45 heat treat is "better".
As said, I like the cladded HAP 40, but maybe the cladding steel (SUS410) is the reason they can't do the same heat treat as with REX45?

Anyway, REX45 is not an option in this poll... :o
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 4398
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:50 am

Honestly, that's a pretty weird poll. Steels from all over the place. Sal said Golden would have the best chance at making this happen, so I would think (though obviously I don't know anything) that it would be a steel that Golden models typically come with or sprint/exclusive.
19 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF

-Rick

TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 4398
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:53 am

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 am
Maxamet Military!!!
Darby still swinging for that home run haha! :p
19 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF

-Rick

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9681
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:30 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:53 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 am
Maxamet Military!!!
Darby still swinging for that home run haha! :p
At this point I am just gonna post that in every thread. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
DSH007
Member
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:49 pm
Location: Merrimac, MA

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby DSH007 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 am

I voted SPY27. I think its use in the 2020 forum knife would be a pretty cool commemoration of its release!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: Forum knife 2020 - steel poll

Postby The Mastiff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:13 am

Also 2 tool steels are included.
Where? I only see one non stainless steel.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ABX2011, Accutron, Bing [Bot], ChrisinHove, Enactive, Google [Bot], legOFwhat?, Mr.B., PStone, Ratamaque, Red, Sharp Guy, T2C and 50 guests