An Astute desire

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

An Astute desire

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would like to formally request a non value, 3.5", backlock version of this knife.

I am in love with the shape, it's almost like an evolution of the Caly 3 without the choil. It just needs a backlock, wire clip, 0.5" more blade and VG-10 or better.

This would make for an incredible knife!
When can we expect it?
:p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Re: An Astute desire

Post by Wartstein »

I am with you!

Great candidate for finally an ffg backlock knife with edge all the way to the handle (as would be a backlock Caribbean or an "upgraded" backlock Tenacious).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Yes! It appears to have enough kick to close it onto your finger without getting a slice(unlike the Caribbean when closed like a backlock)

LC200N is always the dream, but I'll settle for VG-10!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Yeah maybe. Could be cool. Like the backlock. Would rather it be built in Taichung with their use of the internal stop pin on mid lockbacks, or in Golden with the Golden lockback. LC200N is possible either place. VG-10 is fine, but i don't love the Seki wiggle, as much as i like the knives.

I might prefer to stay with G10 and go linerless, although Wartstein is gonna ask for FRN. Right, my friend? :D :cool:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Spyderco has been definitely making some waves in the budget space!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The linerless door is across the street and around the corner.

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I wish they'd used the wire clip, since it's such a light and slender knife.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i am so glad it is not another backlock. i am interested in trying this one. i like that it also does not have a choil.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 am
i am so glad it is not another backlock. i am interested in trying this one. i like that it also does not have a choil.

I know you don't like backlocks, and that's fine, but this one is not about backlocks in general, but finally backlock knives with an edge (almost) all the way to the handle (other than the Centofante and one very rare I can't recall at the moment).

Linerlock and comp.lock knives do get that maximum edge length design, backlock knives not so much. And really, a somewhat experienced knife user will not get cut when closing such a backlock knife with an edge all the way back...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
acer

Post by acer »

This one on the shortlist
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:08 pm
Yeah maybe. Could be cool. Like the backlock. Would rather it be built in Taichung with their use of the internal stop pin on mid lockbacks, or in Golden with the Golden lockback. LC200N is possible either place. VG-10 is fine, but i don't love the Seki wiggle, as much as i like the knives.

I might prefer to stay with G10 and go linerless, although Wartstein is gonna ask for FRN. Right, my friend? :D :cool:
Hey Enactive, have you bought any Seki backlocks lately? I know what you are talking about with blade play on some of the Seki knives but every one I have bought for the last 3 or 4 years has been super solid. I still don’t think they are on par with Golden’s backlocks but Japan has definitely tightened up their tolerances in the last few years. :spyder:
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:59 am
Enactive wrote:

Hey Enactive, have you bought any Seki backlocks lately? I know what you are talking about with blade play on some of the Seki knives but every one I have bought for the last 3 or 4 years has been super solid. I still don’t think they are on par with Golden’s backlocks but Japan has definitely tightened up their tolerances in the last few years. :spyder:
The V-Toku 2 Stretch is the only one, so I am game to try more. Glad your recent Seki knives have been solid. I appreciate hearing from you about that. :D

I haven't given up on Seki knives yet and interested in the K390 Ladybug and holding out for a K390 Stretch. :spyder:

Hope the fishing has been good in CR! :cool:
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:36 pm
I wish they'd used the wire clip, since it's such a light and slender knife.
I had the same thought, especially since the Emphasis (Which is much bigger and heavier) got the wire clip.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:21 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Enactive wrote:

The V-Toku 2 Stretch is the only one, so I am game to try more. Glad your recent Seki knives have been solid. I appreciate hearing from you about that. :D

I haven't given up on Seki knives yet and interested in the K390 Ladybug and holding out for a K390 Stretch. :spyder:

Thanks man, it almost always is. :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It looks nice, too bad it and the efficient are made in China. I hope it is a home run for Spyderco!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:21 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Enactive wrote:

Just fyi: No wiggle in my new (Seki...) Straight Spine Stretch... :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:

Let´s settle on linerless, but FRN :D

EDIT: To be clear: G10 is totally fine, but personally I´ll always take FRN over it when I can get it