Sun/Moon Chappy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind
Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby Baron Mind » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:17 pm

I will be getting one for sure. I preordered the SPY27 Para 3 LW. This chap is next on my list, followed by the REX45 Native Chief.

buckleys
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby buckleys » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:51 pm

I wish I could get one with both sides with white/red sun.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm

Standard black G10 with a small inlay, a different colored G10 on the other side with a different small inlay, same XHP steel...for $70 more than the standard frn version...this feels like the biggest rip off of the new reveal. Was very surprised and disappointed in the price.

Also. Is it white or more of an ivory/cream color?
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13797
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby sal » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:35 pm

Comparing the price of an injection molded handle with a machined G-10 handle with inlays is a bit unrealistic, in my opinion.

sal

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby Enactive » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:20 pm

I agree with Sal. Doing inlays well is no simple feat. I understand that the liners are nested, requiring additional machining.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6931
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby Wartstein » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:26 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm
Standard black G10 with a small inlay, a different colored G10 on the other side with a different small inlay, same XHP steel...for $70 more than the standard frn version...this feels like the biggest rip off of the new reveal. Was very surprised and disappointed in the price.

I respect, but don´t share your opinion, and may copy and paste what I posted already two days ago:

" ..totally worth it for me!!

As I see it, I pay 1.) for a knife 2.) for a piece of art ;)

Plus I can imagine that manufacturing that handle with the two inlays, and that in good fit and finish, is more complicated than "just" uniformly G10..."
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 2842
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby Mushroom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm
Standard black G10 with a small inlay, a different colored G10 on the other side with a different small inlay, same XHP steel...for $70 more than the standard frn version...this feels like the biggest rip off of the new reveal. Was very surprised and disappointed in the price.

Also. Is it white or more of an ivory/cream color?
The difference in price is because of manufacturing time. It takes about a minute to inject FRN into a mold and pull out a bunch of FRN scales. Compared to the time it takes to machine one set of G10 scales with inlays, Sal is right, it's kind of an unrealistic comparison. :spyder:
- Nick

:spyder:

Sildani
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby Sildani » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 am

I’ve been on this forum for years. Sal has never once struck me as a price gouger. He epitomizes the idea of “a decent product for a reasonable price.” If the Sun & Moon costs $70 more, than that’s because it simply costs more, proportionally, to make.

By the way, in the Reveal this is made in Taiwan; is that Taichung, or another Taiwanese factory?

User avatar
anycal
Member
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: California

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby anycal » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:22 am

Sildani wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 am
I’ve been on this forum for years. Sal has never once struck me as a price gouger. He epitomizes the idea of “a decent product for a reasonable price.” If the Sun & Moon costs $70 more, than that’s because it simply costs more, proportionally, to make.

By the way, in the Reveal this is made in Taiwan; is that Taichung, or another Taiwanese factory?
Looks like Taichung,

Image
Peter

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6931
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby Wartstein » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 am

Sildani wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 am
...

By the way, in the Reveal this is made in Taiwan; is that Taichung, or another Taiwanese factory?

Since every Chap variant is made in Taichung, I can´t imagine the Sun and moon should not be.

/ Have I said already how much I love the looks of this knife? :D (And it´s performance anyway, cause it will be quite the same as on my Chap LW- just great.)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:43 am

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm
Standard black G10 with a small inlay, a different colored G10 on the other side with a different small inlay, same XHP steel...for $70 more than the standard frn version...this feels like the biggest rip off of the new reveal. Was very surprised and disappointed in the price.

Also. Is it white or more of an ivory/cream color?
The difference in price is because of manufacturing time. It takes about a minute to inject FRN into a mold and pull out a bunch of FRN scales. Compared to the time it takes to machine one set of G10 scales with inlays, Sal is right, it's kind of an unrealistic comparison. :spyder:
Thanks for the explanation Nick. I didn't really think of that part, I saw G10 and figured it was such a standard scale material to use. Good to know!
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25378
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby The Deacon » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:44 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm
Standard black G10 with a small inlay, a different colored G10 on the other side with a different small inlay, same XHP steel...for $70 more than the standard frn version...this feels like the biggest rip off of the new reveal. Was very surprised and disappointed in the price.

Also. Is it white or more of an ivory/cream color?

As others have noted, it's an apples and oranges comparison. Even without inlays, G10 versions of any model cost considerably more than FRN versions of the same model, in the same steel. As an example, the standard black G10 Native 5 with no inlays costs $56 more than the standard black FRN Native 5 in the same S35VN steel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:52 am

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:44 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm
Standard black G10 with a small inlay, a different colored G10 on the other side with a different small inlay, same XHP steel...for $70 more than the standard frn version...this feels like the biggest rip off of the new reveal. Was very surprised and disappointed in the price.

Also. Is it white or more of an ivory/cream color?

As others have noted, it's an apples and oranges comparison. Even without inlays, G10 versions of any model cost considerably more than FRN versions of the same model, in the same steel. As an example, the standard black G10 Native 5 with no inlays costs $56 more than the standard black FRN Native 5 in the same S35VN steel.
It makes much more sense now with the price difference between the upcoming Native 5 sprints in Rex45 between the FRN and G10 models. On the other hand, another member (maybe Peter?) pointed out..it does make you wonder why the FRN and G10 models of the same sprint for the Manix 2 are only a couple dollars difference.

I would love some behind the scenes videos of how our knives are manufactured from the start, I think that would be awesome!
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby JuPaul » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:01 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:52 am
The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:44 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm
Standard black G10 with a small inlay, a different colored G10 on the other side with a different small inlay, same XHP steel...for $70 more than the standard frn version...this feels like the biggest rip off of the new reveal. Was very surprised and disappointed in the price.

Also. Is it white or more of an ivory/cream color?

As others have noted, it's an apples and oranges comparison. Even without inlays, G10 versions of any model cost considerably more than FRN versions of the same model, in the same steel. As an example, the standard black G10 Native 5 with no inlays costs $56 more than the standard black FRN Native 5 in the same S35VN steel.
It makes much more sense now with the price difference between the upcoming Native 5 sprints in Rex45 between the FRN and G10 models. On the other hand, another member (maybe Peter?) pointed out..it does make you wonder why the FRN and G10 models of the same sprint for the Manix 2 are only a couple dollars difference.

I would love some behind the scenes videos of how our knives are manufactured from the start, I think that would be awesome!
Not sure if it explains the price difference disparity, but the manix lw is frcp, while the native is frn.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:04 am

Good catch Julia! I keep forgetting the LW Manix uses FRCP and not FRN. I should know better since an LW Manix was 2nd ever Spyderco. Fairly uncommon material, it totally slipped my mind! I bet your absolutely correct.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby JuPaul » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:04 am
Good catch Julia! I keep forgetting the LW Manix uses FRCP and not FRN. I should know better since an LW Manix was 2nd ever Spyderco. Fairly uncommon material, it totally slipped my mind! I bet your absolutely correct.
It does make me wonder why the manix lw is made with frcp if frn can be made so much cheaper than g10, though. So they can do the translucent?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
skybladefromthe
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:06 am

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby skybladefromthe » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:31 am

I think it's worth a closer look.

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25378
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby The Deacon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:49 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 am
It does make me wonder why the manix lw is made with frcp if frn can be made so much cheaper than g10, though. So they can do the translucent?

Julia, the reason for the disparity may also be that Spyderco may have chosen to sell the G10 Manix 2 at a lower than normal profit margin. Know they've done that with at least one model made in Golden.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby JuPaul » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:23 pm

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:49 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 am
It does make me wonder why the manix lw is made with frcp if frn can be made so much cheaper than g10, though. So they can do the translucent?

Julia, the reason for the disparity may also be that Spyderco may have chosen to sell the G10 Manix 2 at a lower than normal profit margin. Know they've done that with at least one model made in Golden.
That'd certainly explain it, too. Either way, I like the manix quite a bit, so I'm happy for it to be one of the less expensive g10 models. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4234
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Postby steelcity16 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:05 pm

I'm not typically a fan of smooth G10, but this appears to have a fine peel ply texture in the photos. I'm interested to see some macro close ups of the texture once these start getting out into users hands. That will ultimately make the decision for me.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ChrisinHove, dan31, Elshauno, Granoo Fink, JRinFL, MFlovejp, pkennethv, surfmonkey, TkoK83Spy, Wartstein, wirelessjunkie and 34 guests