Sun/Moon Chappy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Post by cycleguy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:30 pm
In case no one believes me...

That's just some of that smoke & mirror trickery!!!! :D

CG

Probably my favorite Spyderco released this year.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Pearl,

If you hang around here long enough, you can't help but learn, Many folks here are really knowledgeable, they have no problem sharing that knowledge. Some of the stuff like steel chemistry is slow to get in the noggin, at least it was for me, but much can be learned here.

sal
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:00 pm
Hey Pearl,

If you hang around here long enough, you can't help but learn, Many folks here are really knowledgeable, they have no problem sharing that knowledge. Some of the stuff like steel chemistry is slow to get in the noggin, at least it was for me, but much can be learned here.

sal
Tell me about it. It’s like learning a new language! Thanks goodness this forum is super friendly and helpful. I am enjoying the education here. In the mean time I will get a mix of different sizes, different steel and different scales etc... to test them out.:)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Well, I gave the Chap another shot, but I'm sad to report that mine will be going to a new home soon. I so want to love this knife, and from a strictly aesthetic standpoint I do love it. It's got beautiful lines, it's an excellent size for an around-the-house carry, and the sun and moon scales are so unique. I thought seriously about keeping it strictly as a collectible because I like the looks so much.

But functionally, I still just can't get over a few things. My major issue is still that skinny lockbar. Even after adjusting the spring (which really does make it easier to depress), it's still not comfortable for me to unlock. I think a boye dent could seriously help. Maybe I've just got girly fingers, but it is what it is for me.

And second, the Chap's handle just doesn't work well for me: it's too tall for how thin and flat it is, and I think that makes it less hand-filling, and less comfortable to hold. This was more noticeable for me on this smooth g10 version than on the frn version since the bidirectional frn texture helped a lot with grip. This one feels like it wants to slip out of position in my hand, and there's no palm swell or contouring on the scales to help lock it in.

Obviously, these are just my personal preferences, and I'm in the minority. Most people seem to love the Chap, and I'm happy they do. But not every model can work for every person, which is a good thing because otherwise I'd have hundreds of knives!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:26 am
Well, I gave the Chap another shot, but I'm sad to report that mine will be going to a new home soon. I so want to love this knife, and from a strictly aesthetic standpoint I do love it. It's got beautiful lines, it's an excellent size for an around-the-house carry, and the sun and moon scales are so unique. I thought seriously about keeping it strictly as a collectible because I like the looks so much.

But functionally, I still just can't get over a few things. My major issue is still that skinny lockbar. Even after adjusting the spring (which really does make it easier to depress), it's still not comfortable for me to unlock. I think a boye dent could seriously help. Maybe I've just got girly fingers, but it is what it is for me.

And second, the Chap's handle just doesn't work well for me: it's too tall for how thin and flat it is, and I think that makes it less hand-filling, and less comfortable to hold. This was more noticeable for me on this smooth g10 version than on the frn version since the bidirectional frn texture helped a lot with grip. This one feels like it wants to slip out of position in my hand, and there's no palm swell or contouring on the scales to help lock it in.

Obviously, these are just my personal preferences, and I'm in the minority. Most people seem to love the Chap, and I'm happy they do. But not every model can work for every person, which is a good thing because otherwise I'd have hundreds of knives!
I feel the same way about the Chap. Luckily we have so many models to choose from!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

The skinny lockbar almost had me give up on the chap. The spring mod can ease the tension, but not the general feel of the bar. Honestly, it was time using it that won me over. Took a while, but now I can use a new chap without thinking how uncomfortable they initially felt. I found a way to depress the lockbar with the side of my thumb near the first joint which feels better, as well. Works great on all backlocks for me.

I prefer the frn grip texture over the sun and moon as well. For aesthetics though...
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:54 am

They are such nice-looking knives. I really wish the sage 5 (or similar) could also get a version with each new scale material. I love the raffir noble, the sun and moon g10, the curly maple coming soon...
- Julia

sal

Post by sal »

FYI, we are still working on solutions regarding the unlocking of the model. Some have taken a ceramic stone and rounded the edge of the lock-bar in the lock well.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:

"Sad" to hear that - firstly, since I think you really would have enjoyed the superior performance of that thin blade and still would have discovered how strong it actually is, secondly cause now I won´t get to see all the nice sun-and-moon-Chap pics I was hoping you´d share... ;)

But, it is what it is... " not every model can work for every person" is how a wise woman (by the name of Julia I guess ;) ) put it quite recently... ;)

But still, it is fascinating how many factors obviously come into play concerning how ergos are perceived by different people:
You say (quote): "it's too tall for how thin and flat it is, and I think that makes it less hand-filling, and less comfortable to hold"... now that is exactly what I expected and was prepared for. But then I got my Chap FRN in hand, and to my total surprise it felt more stable (and not less comfortable) in my hand than my Native LW - so much so, that I sold the Native (though I actually liked it lot) cause the Chap was the "better Native" for me...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have to agree, that's the same reason I got rid of my LW model. It was my 3rd ever Spyderco knife and thought it couldn't be beat...until I tried various other models and realized the feel in hand wasn't nearly as fulfilling as others that I was buying. I also had the issue of the clip being pretty flimsy.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:25 am
JuPaul wrote:

But still, it is fascinating how many factors obviously come into play concerning how ergos are perceived by different people:
Very true. That's why designs like the Shaman are so incredible to me - the ergos seem to work for a big range of hand sizes and shapes. It's interting that the Chap - a very small knife - seems to work best in larger hands. Perhaps the height of the handle kind of disappears in bigger hands? Before the Chap leaves my house I'm planning to take some side-by-side pics with the lil native and dfly to compare ergos.

By the way, sorry to disappoint you, Gernot! I knew I'd hear from you. ;) :p
- Julia

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I wonder if something like the Cobra Hood added to the lockbar if it would make it easier. One that is flush and no wider than the scales.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

JuPaul wrote:

I've been doing the same recently, letting go of knives that look better than they feel/function. My collection habit hasn't ceased and I have too many around; so I had to find more limitations. Two great knives that went bye bye include the Magnitude and the Shaman. The Chaparral is staying.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:07 am
I have to agree, that's the same reason I got rid of my LW model. It was my 3rd ever Spyderco knife and thought it couldn't be beat...until I tried various other models and realized the feel in hand wasn't nearly as fulfilling as others that I was buying. I also had the issue of the clip being pretty flimsy.
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:25 am
JuPaul wrote:
Very true. That's why designs like the Shaman are so incredible to me - the ergos seem to work for a big range of hand sizes and shapes. It's interting that the Chap - a very small knife - seems to work best in larger hands. Perhaps the height of the handle kind of disappears in bigger hands? Before the Chap leaves my house I'm planning to take some side-by-side pics with the lil native and dfly to compare ergos.

By the way, sorry to disappoint you, Gernot! I knew I'd hear from you. ;) :p
You are both right of course - the Chap IS less handfilling due to its thin handle than most other Spydies.
And, as said, I should feel like you and not like the ergos too much due to that - in theory.

I can´t exactly explain why the Chap feels so good and first and foremost stable (locked in) in my hand.
Could be that it would get uncomfortable if I used that knife continuously for a longer period of time than I ever do with a folder, don´t know.
And obviously many others like it too, so it must have to do something with I-don´t-know-which finer aspects of different "hand geometries".

Julia, I´ll survive it, though I have been looking forward to some pics now and then ;)
It is just like I can´t fully comprehend why so many people love the Para 3 so much, but am in a clear minority concerning that. And, as you said, Spyderco really has more than enough models for everyone! :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Just a few pics to compare some of the spydie "little big knives." The Lil Native has about the same handle height as the Chap, but it's much thicker. The dragonfly handle is thin, but not nearly as tall as the Chap. Both the df and the lil native work better for me ergonomically.
- Julia

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:47 am

That second pic really points out how thin and slicey the Chap blade (2.00 mm) really is... even the DFly (2.5mm) blade stock looks "fat" in comparison...
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:20 pm
FYI, we are still working on solutions regarding the unlocking of the model. Some have taken a ceramic stone and rounded the edge of the lock-bar in the lock well.

sal
Sal, I repositioned the leaf spring a bit on my CF/G-10 Chaparral, and it's much more comfortable to use now.

Jim
Jim