Sun/Moon Chappy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toocool006

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Post by toocool006 »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:46 am
toocool006 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am
I know natural materials are very problematic for factory production, but I think some kind of polished bone scales would be amazing!
Hi Andrew,

I have a few prototypes in different polished bone, but the maker said they were too inconsistent to do a run.

sal
Thanks for letting us know, Sal. Unfortunate but understandable - would love to see pictures of those protos sometime :D

In fact, would love to see a Spyderco history archive (website? museum? back room at the SFO?) featuring all of the projects that never made it to market to get a look behind the scenes at all the gems y'all have hidden away ;)

In the meantime, this sun & moon will be keeping me company - a fantastic addition to the Chaparral legacy!
~andrew
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JustinB wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:37 am
jdw wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:15 am
I am sure you'll love it!!!
And will be amazed what a 2mm ffg XHP blade can take (actually every at least remotely sensible knife task) while being a great slicer.
And I hope you'll join the quest for a Chap XL then... :rolleyes:
hehehe, we're still on that quest, eh Wart? :D I still dream about an XL Chap now and then, it would tick so many boxes for me it's not even funny.

The thin stock on the Chap is amazingly robust. The lightweight Chap is easily in my top three spydies of all time. It just does everything right.

No, I´ll never give up on that one... ;) A Chap XL, let´s say with PM2 ish blade length, but overall as thin as the current Chap, would be an incredible functional tool for almost any knife task out there. Maybe that´s why they hesitate to make one, since it could proove that the thicker stock of most folders normally really is not needed at all and has a lot more cons than pros... ;)

And yes: I generally admire Sals designs (not "fanboyish", but just cause they are great indeed) but even for his already high standards the Chap is outstanding. As you said: Does everything right for what it was designed for.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:49 pm
No one is excited for this one shipping??
Three smileys not excited enough? ;)
No, needs more smileys :D
So I guess you are going to get one, right?

Eventually I just have to!! I love the Chap as a model and the simplistic design of the sun and moon variant is great imho.

The thing is: Practically speaking I have no need whatsoever for a second Chap, cause my FRN variant does the job perfectly well, I carry it a lot iwb when running and always try to find cutting tasks for it cause it is just a joy to use and performs so well.

And while I think the sun and moon Chap is worth every cent they ask for it, it is still a lot of money for me which I´ll rather invest in designs I really want to try (like the Siren) beforehand.
The sun and moon Chap (luckily regular production!!!) will be a knife I will reward myself with for whatever in the not to far future I hope (maybe I´ll gift it to myself for my birthday which will be on October 8th... :D )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Thanks ... ordered!
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I got to look at the Chaparral Sun & Moon yesterday in the SFO. The workmanship is on par with what one would expect from Taichung. The edges of the G10 was smooth and beveled like the CF/G10 model. The white G10 is interesting, you can see the layers in the G10, but it's very subtle, kind of like the grain in ivory.

The sun, is a red G10 inlay and the moon is MOP. The inlays are set into the G10 without any gap.

It looks very classy.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

In stock at DLT.

You'll need to go all the way to the page where you put it in your cart to see that it is in stock.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:49 pm
No one is excited for this one shipping??
Another ho hum drop for me. Not sure what's going on with me lately! But my wallet loves it! Actually having new seamless gutters put on my house next week and some cracks/heaving fixed in my garage floor. Kinda nice have spare cash for other things :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Chaparral Sun & Moon arrived today. This a really nice knife, super fit and finish and the white vs black scales really set the knife apart. The inlays are very will done, tight. I will take the clip off this one are carry on those days where a classy look is the way
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This thing is linerless!! Did not know this till now, but the new "byte" told me.. :)

See also: https://youtu.be/M5yS4zL ... e=youtu.be
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:08 pm
This thing is linerless!!
Wow! That is the best news. My linerless smooth G10 Natives are my favorite spydies, I think this Chap is gonna give them a strong run for their money ;)
~andrew
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

toocool006 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:20 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:08 pm
This thing is linerless!!
Wow! That is the best news. My linerless smooth G10 Natives are my favorite spydies, I think this Chap is gonna give them a strong run for their money ;)
I like that a lot too! :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have no idea why they claim it’s linerless. I’ve had mine open already and it clearly has nested SS liners. You can see them if you look inside the knife even when it’s assembled. It appears to share the same liner setup as the FRN Chap.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

In case no one believes me...

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That's a plus!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:30 pm

Yep! Just like the LW

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:30 pm

Oh oh is that a bad thing? I just ordered one. It’s such a beautiful knife.
RadioactiveSpyder

Blackpearl wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:20 pm
No, it’s absolutely not a bad thing! :) We were just discussing the fact they called these Chaps “linerless” in the Byte, but clearly they have liners. I’m guessing the G10 on these is not quite thick enough anyway to fully support it being linerless like the Native 5 (whose scales are thicker slabs of G10).
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:45 pm
Blackpearl wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:20 pm
No, it’s absolutely not a bad thing! :) We were just discussing the fact they called these Chaps “linerless” in the Byte, but clearly they have liners. I’m guessing the G10 on these is not quite thick enough anyway to fully support it being linerless like the Native 5 (whose scales are thicker slabs of G10).
Oh ok. I am new and still learning so I just want to make sure I picked a good one. I just love the look of it so I’m hoping it will be just as good in person.