Sun/Moon Chappy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Post by Baron Mind »

I will be getting one for sure. I preordered the SPY27 Para 3 LW. This chap is next on my list, followed by the REX45 Native Chief.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

I wish I could get one with both sides with white/red sun.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Standard black G10 with a small inlay, a different colored G10 on the other side with a different small inlay, same XHP steel...for $70 more than the standard frn version...this feels like the biggest rip off of the new reveal. Was very surprised and disappointed in the price.

Also. Is it white or more of an ivory/cream color?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

Comparing the price of an injection molded handle with a machined G-10 handle with inlays is a bit unrealistic, in my opinion.

sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I agree with Sal. Doing inlays well is no simple feat. I understand that the liners are nested, requiring additional machining.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm
Standard black G10 with a small inlay, a different colored G10 on the other side with a different small inlay, same XHP steel...for $70 more than the standard frn version...this feels like the biggest rip off of the new reveal. Was very surprised and disappointed in the price.

I respect, but don´t share your opinion, and may copy and paste what I posted already two days ago:

" ..totally worth it for me!!

As I see it, I pay 1.) for a knife 2.) for a piece of art ;)

Plus I can imagine that manufacturing that handle with the two inlays, and that in good fit and finish, is more complicated than "just" uniformly G10..."
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

The difference in price is because of manufacturing time. It takes about a minute to inject FRN into a mold and pull out a bunch of FRN scales. Compared to the time it takes to machine one set of G10 scales with inlays, Sal is right, it's kind of an unrealistic comparison. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

I’ve been on this forum for years. Sal has never once struck me as a price gouger. He epitomizes the idea of “a decent product for a reasonable price.” If the Sun & Moon costs $70 more, than that’s because it simply costs more, proportionally, to make.

By the way, in the Reveal this is made in Taiwan; is that Taichung, or another Taiwanese factory?
anycal

Post by anycal »

Sildani wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 am
I’ve been on this forum for years. Sal has never once struck me as a price gouger. He epitomizes the idea of “a decent product for a reasonable price.” If the Sun & Moon costs $70 more, than that’s because it simply costs more, proportionally, to make.

By the way, in the Reveal this is made in Taiwan; is that Taichung, or another Taiwanese factory?
Looks like Taichung,

Peter
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sildani wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 am

Since every Chap variant is made in Taichung, I can´t imagine the Sun and moon should not be.

/ Have I said already how much I love the looks of this knife? :D (And it´s performance anyway, cause it will be quite the same as on my Chap LW- just great.)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

The difference in price is because of manufacturing time. It takes about a minute to inject FRN into a mold and pull out a bunch of FRN scales. Compared to the time it takes to machine one set of G10 scales with inlays, Sal is right, it's kind of an unrealistic comparison. :spyder:
Thanks for the explanation Nick. I didn't really think of that part, I saw G10 and figured it was such a standard scale material to use. Good to know!

-Rick
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

As others have noted, it's an apples and oranges comparison. Even without inlays, G10 versions of any model cost considerably more than FRN versions of the same model, in the same steel. As an example, the standard black G10 Native 5 with no inlays costs $56 more than the standard black FRN Native 5 in the same S35VN steel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:44 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

As others have noted, it's an apples and oranges comparison. Even without inlays, G10 versions of any model cost considerably more than FRN versions of the same model, in the same steel. As an example, the standard black G10 Native 5 with no inlays costs $56 more than the standard black FRN Native 5 in the same S35VN steel.
It makes much more sense now with the price difference between the upcoming Native 5 sprints in Rex45 between the FRN and G10 models. On the other hand, another member (maybe Peter?) pointed out..it does make you wonder why the FRN and G10 models of the same sprint for the Manix 2 are only a couple dollars difference.

I would love some behind the scenes videos of how our knives are manufactured from the start, I think that would be awesome!

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:52 am
The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:44 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

It makes much more sense now with the price difference between the upcoming Native 5 sprints in Rex45 between the FRN and G10 models. On the other hand, another member (maybe Peter?) pointed out..it does make you wonder why the FRN and G10 models of the same sprint for the Manix 2 are only a couple dollars difference.

I would love some behind the scenes videos of how our knives are manufactured from the start, I think that would be awesome!
Not sure if it explains the price difference disparity, but the manix lw is frcp, while the native is frn.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Good catch Julia! I keep forgetting the LW Manix uses FRCP and not FRN. I should know better since an LW Manix was 2nd ever Spyderco. Fairly uncommon material, it totally slipped my mind! I bet your absolutely correct.

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:04 am
Good catch Julia! I keep forgetting the LW Manix uses FRCP and not FRN. I should know better since an LW Manix was 2nd ever Spyderco. Fairly uncommon material, it totally slipped my mind! I bet your absolutely correct.
It does make me wonder why the manix lw is made with frcp if frn can be made so much cheaper than g10, though. So they can do the translucent?
- Julia

skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

I think it's worth a closer look.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 am
It does make me wonder why the manix lw is made with frcp if frn can be made so much cheaper than g10, though. So they can do the translucent?

Julia, the reason for the disparity may also be that Spyderco may have chosen to sell the G10 Manix 2 at a lower than normal profit margin. Know they've done that with at least one model made in Golden.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:49 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 am

Julia, the reason for the disparity may also be that Spyderco may have chosen to sell the G10 Manix 2 at a lower than normal profit margin. Know they've done that with at least one model made in Golden.
That'd certainly explain it, too. Either way, I like the manix quite a bit, so I'm happy for it to be one of the less expensive g10 models. ;)
- Julia

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm not typically a fan of smooth G10, but this appears to have a fine peel ply texture in the photos. I'm interested to see some macro close ups of the texture once these start getting out into users hands. That will ultimately make the decision for me.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red