Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:57 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm
Looks cool, and I generally love to see more thinner-blade-stock knives!
Definitely.
A Para 3 TB (thin blade) would be awesome :D
Opinel has thinner blades and they also do to break or bend so easy... :/

If the Para 3 had a 2.5mm Delica blade stock, I'd get the Para 3 hype a LOT better...
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
acer

Post by acer »

Keen on this one👍
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:00 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 pm
It’s 2020 why are we still using fake carbon fiber?

Otherwise looks like a sweet knife.
It's real. Just a very thin layer of CF laid on top of g10
Much in the same way gold plated jewelry is real.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:07 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:00 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 pm
It’s 2020 why are we still using fake carbon fiber?

Otherwise looks like a sweet knife.
It's real. Just a very thin layer of CF laid on top of g10
Much in the same way gold plated jewelry is real.
Well, technically it is. Gold plated jewellry.. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I'm wondering how the wire clip will function - it looks like the "contact" point is positioned over one of the holes, so it won't actually exert force on the scale? I'm sure that will still give some retention but probably not the same as pinching pocket material to the scale. Any thoughts?
~andrew
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I like the wire clip and steel but don't know about the aesthetics of the knife. I'm on the fence.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

toocool006 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:11 am
I'm wondering how the wire clip will function - it looks like the "contact" point is positioned over one of the holes, so it won't actually exert force on the scale? I'm sure that will still give some retention but probably not the same as pinching pocket material to the scale. Any thoughts?
I initially thought that too, but upon closer inspection it appears the contact point is actually over the scale just behind the first hole.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

No TI frame lock makes joeldworkin307 a sad panda. Otherwise cool knife with great materials, just not for me.
sal

Post by sal »

I guess we can listen to you complain about the CF laminate or the high price? Methinks the higher price is a bigger problem, so we go with the laminate.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see a traditional knife like this one in something like a dark wood handle.

On price, anyone in this market has no real grounds to complain. We can afford to buy $100+ pocket knives. We're all in the top 1% globally.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 am
I guess we can listen to you complain about the CF laminate or the high price? Methinks the higher price is a bigger problem, so we go with the laminate.

sal
Don't sweat it Sal (I know you're not). There'll always be something for someone to complain about.

Never had any issue with any of the CF/G10 laminate scales I have. They look nice, they're durable, and the material has some texture yet it's easy on the pocket.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:

sal
i'm definitely happy with the laminate.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
jdw

Post by jdw »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:11 am
sal wrote:

sal
i'm definitely happy with the laminate.
+1. I have it on my GB and I have enjoyed using it. I have not had any problems with the laminate at all through some pretty solid use in a variety of conditions.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Goes without saying that I am extremely excited about this one! Thanks, Spyderco, for continuing to refine and explore the possibilities for this traditional design, and for the effort involved in translating it into the realm of high-tech materials. It is also great to see continued, generous partnership with Keep a Child Alive.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I agree that the laminate is very durable and practical, it's just not my personal preference (I prefer G10 and even FRN to laminate, but again that's just me). Definitely won't stop me from picking this awesome design up. And for the record I have no issues with the price point :D
~andrew
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Something I find interesting here is the edge profile: Almost a wharncliff by that long, totally straight section, but not by the small belly towards the very end and the spine-profile... wonder how this feels when cutting.
Since I like the long straight edge section on the Stretch over the continous belly on the PM2 (in otherwise pretty similar blades), I assume I´d also like the Watu edge profile when cutting...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:

sal
I completely understand the decision to use CF/G10. It’s the selfish side of me that wants solid CF, and I will never complain about the price of a Spyderco. The materials y’all use and prices accordingly are the reasons 95% of my knives are, and will be, Spyderco.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've been wanting this knife since it was first announced... It looks great and I can't wait to buy one and use it. 😍
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

This is going to be an incredible knife... Delica size, but more compact in the pocket with slightly more blade/edge, deep carry wire clip, and no discrete choil but you're still able to choke up on the blade. An all around winner and incredible design. Thanks Spyderco!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

captnvegtble wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:24 am
This is going to be an incredible knife... Delica size, but more compact in the pocket with slightly more blade/edge, deep carry wire clip, and no discrete choil but you're still able to choke up on the blade. An all around winner and incredible design. Thanks Spyderco!

Man... amazing. You did find all the words to sell it to me...;)