Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

Re: Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Post by fixall »

Mine came in a few days ago. I wanted to carry it for a bit before posting about it though. It's a great knife! I love how thin the blade stock is... It's so slicey! I really like the blade shape. It's nearly a wharncliffe until you get near the tip. Good stuff. Ergonomics are great, which seems weird to me. I mean this thing is a stick that is flared on the ends... Why does it feel so good?! I really like the finish they decided to go with on the carbon fiber laminate. I think the Spyderco smooth carbon fiber is too smooth, and the peel-ply too grippy, lol. This is just right! I thought I didn't like carbon fiber/g10 laminate, but it turns out, I just didn't like the finish that was being used. I really hope Spyderco uses the same (or similar) texture that is found on the Watu carbon fiber/G10 laminate, on other knives going forward. I love Spyderco's wire clips, so I was pleased to see that on the Watu. Centering is perfect. Action is perfect. The grind is really good.

My only complaints are that it's a little too big for my liking and I do wish the kick wouldn't hit my finger when closing the knife. I did notice the small part of blade that is visible near the compression lock when the knife is closed and I've been trying my hardest to cut myself with it, and I just don't see it being a possibility (and I have really small hands/fingers).

dan31

Post by dan31 »

Holy Guacamole!! This is the smoothest Spyderco I have ever had the pleasure of handling. Very impressed. Not to large. Just fine for edc. I usually lean to a Delica but the Watu is exceptional. Great thin grind. Time will tell.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evidently I can resist everything but temptation ... my Watu arrived this week!

I really like it in hand and just love the blade profile! I must admit to swapping out the wire clip to one of the darkened ones, though.

... and the comp lock cut-out most certainly isn’t the car-crash some reviewers would have you believe.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The Watu is exceptional. I'm considering a back up. Just a wonderful balance in hand.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I love the Watu, but my wife won't give it back!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't mind laminate CF but there's something about that scale pattern that I don't like.
fixall

Post by fixall »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:37 pm
I don't mind laminate CF but there's something about that scale pattern that I don't like.
Standard carbon fiber has always looks a little too uniform to me (thus the reason I like shred/ lightning strike, and 3k so much), but I'm really liking the texture of the Watu in particular. It kind of reminds me of the texture used on the Kershaw/ZT carbon fiber which I am a big fan of.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Isn’t it the same as the Sage 1, Bradley Folder, etc?
fixall

Post by fixall »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:59 pm
I would assume so. I just realized all of my experience with Spyderco CF previous to this has either been solid CF (Kapara, Native 5) or peel ply laminate (Smock, Mantra 3).
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:59 pm
Identical in my two, but turned 90 degrees.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thanks TazKristi and the people who quoted her post to me about using google to find threads !!

I was waiting for a Native Chief LW. But since the Native (wich is still my favorite design) is pretty thick BTE, I suspect that the Chief (even though it's longer, it's thicker too) will be too. The Delica Performance is not here yet and my daily carry being the Chap LW, I wanted MORE.

The Centofante III is still available but the pinned construction and massive avaibility made me think that I'll add this one the the collection later on. My Dealer sold the Watu for 200€, and it's specs are just perfect... It's not the mighty 2mm but 2,5mm is nice !

I can't wait to have it and see how this aggressive gentleman of a knife will perform. Thanks for all the feedback and pics on this thread, it'll feed me while I wait for the UPS man to come !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:51 am
Thanks TazKristi and the people who quoted her post to me about using google to find threads !!

I was waiting for a Native Chief LW. But since the Native (wich is still my favorite design) is pretty thick BTE, I suspect that the Chief (even though it's longer, it's thicker too) will be too. The Delica Performance is not here yet and my daily carry being the Chap LW, I wanted MORE.

The Centofante III is still available but the pinned construction and massive avaibility made me think that I'll add this one the the collection later on. My Dealer sold the Watu for 200€, and it's specs are just perfect... It's not the mighty 2mm but 2,5mm is nice !

I can't wait to have it and see how this aggressive gentleman of a knife will perform. Thanks for all the feedback and pics on this thread, it'll feed me while I wait for the UPS man to come !
It's a nice one! Hope you enjoy it. It is my gentlemen's folder. For as small as it is, it has great edge length. Slightly longer than the Manix. Also, it has a very cleverly designed choil that lets you get right behind the edge while still having full grip on the handle.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:37 am
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:51 am

It's a nice one! Hope you enjoy it. It is my gentlemen's folder. For as small as it is, it has great edge length. Slightly longer than the Manix. Also, it has a very cleverly designed choil that lets you get right behind the edge while still having full grip on the handle.
I think it'll become my main knife, with the others to play with in particular situations or just because I want to. My primary school teacher / knife nut life isn't too much of a hardcore life ^^.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It will be perfect for that!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Time for a sprint or exclusive with different scales!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I like the look of the Watu, but it's in 20CV, which means low toughness, and for a tip that acute, I'd like to see a tougher steel...Of course, you could talk me out of this notion.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:56 pm
I like the look of the Watu, but it's in 20CV, which means low toughness, and for a tip that acute, I'd like to see a tougher steel...Of course, you could talk me out of this notion.
Nowadays I use mine as a gentlemen's folder, but I have in the past used it around the house. It is not confidence inspiring, but it has held up just fine. This may be a good application for something like LC200N or something higher up on the toughness scale.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:56 pm
I'll use it with parcimony. It's not a folder I'll go to when I need to "really cut. It'll serve as a slicing machine for everything "safe" to cut, except in rare cases (and these cases will occur, sadly :rofl ).

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

It is here. I have to say that the "nub" takes a bit to adjust to, but it's just a question of timing.
Already got it, just not at 100% success rate :grin-sweat .

My specific model experiences some lock stick, but it's not that crazy strong. It'll certainly work itself out.
I have to say that except for that tiny detail, it's as pristine as my 2 others knives (Chap LW / S5 LW) coming from Taichung were.

I like the fact that this is a big small knife. It also came with a really good factory edge, directly allowing me to attest how the stock + grind made this one a laser. It's 20 CV and pretty thin so it'll serve as a true slicer !

Thanks for designing this model Sal ! And the Spyderco employees and partners for making it real.

Here's a pic :

Last edited by Ramonade on Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan31

Post by dan31 »

As far as thin goes the Watu is a cutting tour de force. 2.5 mm and a high chord near the thumb hole keep it pretty exotic. Might grab a back up.