Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Re: Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Post by foofie »

Still waiting on mine. It was supposed to have been here yesterday... but USPS update shows it hasn't even left the distribution center. Can't wait to get this one. Surprisingly - they are still available at retailers. The Kapara, Smock and Ikuchi all sold out quickly as I recall.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Day 4...still in love
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:13 am
Day 4...still in love
I'm with you...I almost passed because I'm not a fan of the CF laminate on the Smock and Ikuchi but it's great on the Watu. Good thing the rest of the knife was so appealing that I had to give it a shot. :)

Last night
-Turbo
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Mine finally arrived today after some of shipping delays. What a great knife. It’s everything I was hoping and expecting. Fit and finish is superb on mine; another knockout in that regard from Taichung. I remember when Sal was discussing bringing back the Chokwe in a smaller version, and I was all-in then. Fantastic to see it fully realized, so my thanks to Sal for a uniquely beautiful knife with a cool historical/cultural inspiration. This is why I like Spyderco. :spyder:
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

For the past year or so I have been away from Spyderco and the new designs. Last month I was able to get more active on the forum and with Spyderco designs again. After much consideration and reflection on the Spydercos I have had in the past and looking for that one design that would actually fulfill my needs for a true ESC knife it came down to the Para 3 which I bought. A good decision.

After a short while I began to consider that perhaps I could use a second EDC. My needs are constrained these days as I use a walker or wheelchair to get around so small to medium knives are most useful to me. I was unaware of the Watu.

Chaparral? Too thin and I prefer the compression lock.
Lil’ Native? Great knife but too chunky for me.
Dragonfly? Been there. Too small. Wrong lock.
Delica? Kinda, sorta, but no.

I very much like the ethnic designs. I suspect they have evolved over long periods of use for general cutting tasks and their design reflects that and their unique cultural heritage. Being an anthropologist by education further increased my interest.

Frankly, until the latest SpiderByte arrived in my mailbox I was unaware of the Watu. After seeing it and reading the specs I knew it was for me and money going to a worthwhile African Children’s organization was icing on the cake. I ordered mine the next day. Today I found this thread.

I don’t get all of the nit-picking about CF laminate and compression lock but as these pages prove some folks’ inner critics are never satisfied.

Mine will hopefully be here Monday.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:14 pm
For the past year or so I have been away from Spyderco and the new designs. Last month I was able to get more active on the forum and with Spyderco designs again. After much consideration and reflection on the Spydercos I have had in the past and looking for that one design that would actually fulfill my needs for a true ESC knife it came down to the Para 3 which I bought. A good decision.

After a short while I began to consider that perhaps I could use a second EDC. My needs are constrained these days as I use a walker or wheelchair to get around so small to medium knives are most useful to me. I was unaware of the Watu.

Chaparral? Too thin and I prefer the compression lock.
Delica? Kinda, sorta, but no.

I very much like the ethnic designs. I suspect they have evolved over long periods of use for general cutting tasks and their design reflects that and their unique cultural heritage. Being an anthropologist by education further increased my interest.

Frankly, until the latest SpiderByte arrived in my mailbox I was unaware of the Watu. After seeing it and reading the specs I knew it was for me and money going to a worthwhile African Children’s organization was icing on the cake. I ordered mine the next day. Today I found this thread.

I don’t get all of the nit-picking about CF laminate and compression lock but as these pages prove some folks’ inner critics are never satisfied.

Mine will hopefully be here Monday.

Congrats! From all I can see this knife is a great choice and something really special :)

But may I ask one thing (just courious):

You say:
"I don’t get all of the nit-picking about CF laminate and compression lock but as these pages prove some folks’ inner critics are never satisfied." (to be clear: I myself really like the comp. lock in a knife of Watu size and am ok with CF laminate!)

But in the same post you say also about yourself:
"Chaparral? Too thin and I prefer the compression lock.
Delica? Kinda, sorta, but no."

Whats the difference in "nitpickiness" here? (Again, no offense, just courios!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m guilty. But your nits are not my nits, so I get to pick the nits I want to pick. :D
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:02 pm
I’m guilty. But your nits are not my nits, so I get to pick the nits I want to pick. :D

:p :p

What counts is: You picked the WATU, and that's certainly a good pick...;)

Hope you'll report how you like it! I am really considering it myself.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for the photo. It’s good to see a comparison. I’m hoping mine arrives tomorrow or the next day. I have not looked forward to a Spyderco for quite some time but I am this one.

Team Innovation
brj

Post by brj »

Got mine, love the ergos.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have to thank Sal for such a fantastic reimagining of this knife. I have been carrying and using mine constantly. I should sell my Para 3 and buy another, you know, just in case.

Team Innovation
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've been more interested in FRN scaled models lately, but I have to admit this thread has brought the Watu to the top of my attention span. I love the handle and blade shape, and really like the fact it's basically the same size as the Delica.

It's interesting to me that the Watu design looks like it could be easily adapted for various lock types, from Compression to Liner lock. I bet it would work as a kickback or a slip joint too.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:50 pm
I have to thank Sal for such a fantastic reimagining of this knife. I have been carrying and using mine constantly. I should sell my Para 3 and buy another, you know, just in case.
That good, eh? How is the handle size compared with the Para3? - I found the latter just a little cramped with the little finger nub.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Full four finger grip, no bumps.

Team Innovation
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I couldn’t read all 11 pages and not order. For those that have a Watu, has it stayed in the pocket?
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I was so excited when I saw that the Watu was coming out. I actually found a Chokwe at a store in Vallejo, CA last year but didn’t have the money to buy it at the time. I went back the next week but alas it was gone. So I feel like the Watu is my second chance at that missed opportunity :) I bought one on preorder as soon as they were available and have been loving it ever since.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

dan31 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 am
I couldn’t read all 11 pages and not order. For those that have a Watu, has it stayed in the pocket?
Mine is a regular feature in my rotation!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I carry mine often. Almost wish there was an even smaller version
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:53 pm
I carry mine often. Almost wish there was an even smaller version
I agree. I thought it was going to be a good bit smaller than it was.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson