CPM SPY27 steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Larrin
Member
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby Larrin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:31 pm

zuludelta wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm
Larrin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:16 pm
I gave my analysis of the new steel here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/01/15/ ... -analysis/
Well that was fast! :) Thanks for the detailed preliminary breakdown of the steel Larrin.
This has to be the fastest I've ever written an article. There are probably a zillion typos.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives

User avatar
zuludelta
Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby zuludelta » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 pm

With it being a proprietary Spyderco steel and its similarities (on paper) to S35VN, I wonder if SPY27 will eventually replace S30V as the "default steel" for many of the most popular models (e.g. Native 5, PM2, Para 3, Manix 2)

User avatar
Dazen
Member
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Texas U.S.A. Earth

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby Dazen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Larrin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:16 pm
I gave my analysis of the new steel here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/01/15/ ... -analysis/
Awesome! Just what we needed until we get the steel in hand!

Mtnblades
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:51 am

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby Mtnblades » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Larrin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:16 pm
I gave my analysis of the new steel here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/01/15/ ... -analysis/
Thank you. That was super fast!

User avatar
Brock O Lee
Member
Posts: 2260
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby Brock O Lee » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Larrin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:31 pm
zuludelta wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm
Larrin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:16 pm
I gave my analysis of the new steel here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/01/15/ ... -analysis/
Well that was fast! :) Thanks for the detailed preliminary breakdown of the steel Larrin.
This has to be the fastest I've ever written an article. There are probably a zillion typos.
Thanks Larrin! Excellent!
Hans
Favourites: Military, PM2, Spydiechef, Sage 2, Pits, UKPK, Caly 3

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2263
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby curlyhairedboy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks Larrin! Hopefully we can persuade spyderco to ship you some samples for toughness testing...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7488
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby MacLaren » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Looks to be an awesome blade steel.
Coming from Golden, I have no doubt.

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 7488
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby MacLaren » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:25 pm

Where's Jim Ankerson?
He is the Premier Steel Tester.
Shoot one off to to Jim if ya wanna see what it'll do :D

phaust
Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby phaust » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:38 pm

Pretty low carbon. Not surprised to see if in between like vg10 and s35vn. Still have to try it out though!

User avatar
attila
Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Maryland

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby attila » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Looks like Supergold + 1% Nb + 1.5% Co.

I really like that!
Own: Delica, yOld S30V Native, pointy Breeden Rescue, Delica, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW,Pakka Delica, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, M4 Manix, HAP40 Caly 3, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, Pakka DF2, Cruwear PM2, SE Pac Salt, HAP40 Jazzlica, S110V Native, P.I.T.S., DLC Manix, REX 45 PM2, Para 3, XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, 20CV PM2, Rhino, SB Calypso Jr., B70P, PMA11, K03, ZDP Stretch 2, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, 204p PM2, Swick, SG Delica, BL Lil'Native, AEB-L Urban, HAP40 Stretch, KC Cruwear Manix,Cruwear Military, M390 PM2, Cruwear Delica, 4V Lil'Native, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Para 3 LW, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, RexWood Shaman, DLC Cruwear Shaman, Rex 45 Manix, Native 5, Native LW, 204p Para 3, S45VN PM2, S90V Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix

Waiting for: SPY27, K490, Swick 5, and something purple
.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 6046
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby Ankerson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Should prove to be interesting.. :)

Looks like they are going for a well rounded, and adaptable steel here.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22327
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby Evil D » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:09 pm

zuludelta wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 pm
With it being a proprietary Spyderco steel and its similarities (on paper) to S35VN, I wonder if SPY27 will eventually replace S30V as the "default steel" for many of the most popular models (e.g. Native 5, PM2, Para 3, Manix 2)

I suspect that's exactly the goal here. I'd be surprised if they went so far as to get a proprietary steel just for a sprint run.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

PStone
Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby PStone » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm

I noticed the msrp of the manix lw w/spy27 is a lot higher than the msrp of the manix lw w/rex45. Do you all think that’s because the steel itself is more expensive, or that it is harder to work with(i.e. grind, finish, etc)?

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby JuPaul » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Brock O Lee wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:57 pm
Larrin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:31 pm
zuludelta wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm
Larrin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:16 pm
I gave my analysis of the new steel here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/01/15/ ... -analysis/
Well that was fast! :) Thanks for the detailed preliminary breakdown of the steel Larrin.
This has to be the fastest I've ever written an article. There are probably a zillion typos.
Thanks Larrin! Excellent!
Thank you, Larrin! Very helpful to have your trusted analysis so quickly.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4726
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby TomAiello » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Is it replacing BD1n in those models?

User avatar
bigboned
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby bigboned » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 pm

Just from a business point of view- surely there would be more profit to be made/ ability to charge lower/ hold off on increases longer by using a proprietary steel than other similar? Eg own brand always carries better margin?..
Not suggesting anything underhand especially as the composition suggests high quality just that it makes sense
Andy

Me - Para3 in Cruwear, Bow River
Son - Dragonfly2 in VToku2
Wife - Urban in K390

Want to try - Delica DLC CE, Bradley Bowie, Bushcraft
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK

rivy
Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby rivy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Let's not forget that S30V is widely recognized as a good steel vs. one most folks will never have heard of...

User avatar
Haunted House
Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:02 pm

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby Haunted House » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:07 pm

I’m really curious as to the naming it after the atomic number for Cobalt, and if that means it’ll be run hard (with the higher Cobalt content enabling a higher HRC).

I’m intrigued.
Team Wharncliffe

User avatar
zuludelta
Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby zuludelta » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:15 pm

PStone wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm
I noticed the msrp of the manix lw w/spy27 is a lot higher than the msrp of the manix lw w/rex45. Do you all think that’s because the steel itself is more expensive, or that it is harder to work with(i.e. grind, finish, etc)?
Probably just economies of scale coming into play. SPY27 is a lot newer than REX45, and production/supply is probably still quite limited at this point. Given what Larrin's written about it, SPY27 should be more or less comparable to S35VN in terms of ease (or difficulty) to work with.

PStone
Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Postby PStone » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:43 pm

zuludelta wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:15 pm
PStone wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm
I noticed the msrp of the manix lw w/spy27 is a lot higher than the msrp of the manix lw w/rex45. Do you all think that’s because the steel itself is more expensive, or that it is harder to work with(i.e. grind, finish, etc)?
Probably just economies of scale coming into play. SPY27 is a lot newer than REX45, and production/supply is probably still quite limited at this point. Given what Larrin's written about it, SPY27 should be more or less comparable to S35VN in terms of ease (or difficulty) to work with.

That makes a lot of sense now. At first I thought maybe it was similar to s110v given the msrp, plus the blue handles gave me that vibe. And pricing does seem right in line with a s110v upgrade. But I just finished reading Larrin’s article, and am inclined to agree with you now. Either way I am super stoked.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bemo, Enactive, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], toocool006 and 47 guests