TKJ Spyderco exclusive cruwear ????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: TKJ Spyderco exclusive cruwear ????

Post by Evil D »

It's really interesting how the combo changes my interest in this knife. Initially the model was cool and I liked it but not enough to buy one, not even the CF/S90V version. Then it comes out in Cruwear and tan micarta and I absolutely had to have one. Now the wood version and this one come along and I'm pretty indifferent to both of them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:37 pm
I'm very disappointed... With a name like The Knife Joker, I expected wacky purple or something! This is just, eh.

Happy for the people that are into it! :)
Someday somebody is gonna make you some purple scales! ;) :)
I have tried, TWICE!

Once with an S110V Native 5 G10. Guess what? The dimensions of the S110V version are just different enough to cause a fitment issue...

The other was with a Yojimbo 2, but it didn't fit my hand, so I sold it(before I put the scales on).

Now what I'm trying to find is someone to make a set of contoured CF scales for the Caribbean, using the stock grip pattern. So far, I have been unsuccessful.

It would seem I just have bad luck with aftermarket scales!

Honestly though, he missed the mark. It should have been a funky purple, SE Jester in DLC LC200N(Cuzwhynot?!)
I mean really, the marketing writes itself and I would bestow upon him the title,
"Supreme Lord Fool Clown, Master of the Jester".

:D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

A note on the "smooth" g10 scales on this one: I'm assuming these will be the same as the smoother g10 scales on the St.Nicks shaman. Yes, they are smoother than your average g10 (see pic with red g10 pm2) but I still think they're plenty grippy. They don't have much texturing, but they still have a slight almost rubbery feel to them. Combined with the excellent contouring, it makes for a grip that is plenty secure imo. I much prefer them to the smooth g10 on my cruwear native, which feels more like smooth plastic than g10 to me.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:00 am
A note on the "smooth" g10 scales on this one: I'm assuming these will be the same as the smoother g10 scales on the St.Nicks shaman. Yes, they are smoother than your average g10 (see pic with red g10 pm2) but I still think they're plenty grippy. They don't have much texturing, but they still have a slight almost rubbery feel to them. Combined with the excellent contouring, it makes for a grip that is plenty secure imo. I much prefer them to the smooth g10 on my cruwear native, which feels more like smooth plastic than g10 to me.

Thanks for the close up pictures! Very interesting. I wonder why they don't keep the more aggressive texturing on the flat portion? That would be my preference for sure. I have passed on all of the G10 versions of the Shaman because of my disdain for smooth G10, but I will probably try to grab this one for my love for Cruwear and DLC may be enough to overcome that!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 am
JuPaul wrote:

Thanks for the close up pictures! Very interesting. I wonder why they don't keep the more aggressive texturing on the flat portion? That would be my preference for sure. I have passed on all of the G10 versions of the Shaman because of my disdain for smooth G10, but I will probably try to grab this one for my love for Cruwear and DLC may be enough to overcome that!
Hey Josh, I have to 2nd Julia's thoughts here. Also, I know you have the Crucarta Shaman...I have both that and the St Knives version and in terms of grip on the scales, I honestly don't see much of a difference at all between the two. Of course Micarta feels nicer, but the grip in hand feels about identical. I haven't treated my Micarta scales with any kind of oil like I believe you have. So if you remember how they felt prior to doing that it's easier to compare imo.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

I think it's worth a shot. I don't like the smooth g10 on the black cruwear native at all, but I have no complaints with that g10 shaman.
- Julia

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:20 am
steelcity16 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Hey Josh, I have to 2nd Julia's thoughts here. Also, I know you have the Crucarta Shaman...I have both that and the St Knives version and in terms of grip on the scales, I honestly don't see much of a difference at all between the two. Of course Micarta feels nicer, but the grip in hand feels about identical. I haven't treated my Micarta scales with any kind of oil like I believe you have. So if you remember how they felt prior to doing that it's easier to compare imo.

Yeah, the grip on the factory Micarta Shaman was actually very slippery. I dropped it too many times! I started putting drumstick wax on it and it is more to my liking now. I will probably try this G10 version assuming I can get in on the drop!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:23 am

I think it's worth a shot. I don't like the smooth g10 on the black cruwear native at all, but I have no complaints with that g10 shaman.

Yeah, it does look different in the photos than the other smooth G10 knives. Will give it a go! Thanks!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:03 pm
amateur blacksmith wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:33 pm
$315 I can see why the store is called The Knife Joker.
He's a small dealer. I'm pretty sure he's running his business out of his home. I think it's great that he's commissioned this exclusive and I hope it helps him get his name out there. The actual price of $217.75 is not out of line IMO

While the smooth G10 of the Shaman model isn't appealing to me (still going to try for one though), this DLC Cruwear/Forest Green combo is stellar and I hope it becomes a family in the same way small dealer St Nick's has blown up with it's DLC 4V/Red G10 combo.

If you are reading this Mr. Joker, please consider some lesser produced knives for this combo. The combo will sell itself, so I don't think you should worry about inventory sitting stagnant. Models like the Manix XL, Military, SE Dodo, Manix LW and Native LW (Forest Green FRCP/FRN) are ripe for some Cruwear. And with the ability to use Cruwear in Seki, you could even do some Forest Green FRN TiCN coated Cruwear models like the Delica, Dragonfly, Endura, Endela, Straight Spine Stretch, Police LW, Jester, etc!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:58 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:03 pm
amateur blacksmith wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:33 pm
$315 I can see why the store is called The Knife Joker.
He's a small dealer. I'm pretty sure he's running his business out of his home. I think it's great that he's commissioned this exclusive and I hope it helps him get his name out there. The actual price of $217.75 is not out of line IMO

While the smooth G10 of the Shaman model isn't appealing to me (still going to try for one though), this DLC Cruwear/Forest Green combo is stellar and I hope it becomes a family in the same way small dealer St Nick's has blown up with it's DLC 4V/Red G10 combo.

If you are reading this Mr. Joker, please consider some lesser produced knives for this combo. The combo will sell itself, so I don't think you should worry about inventory sitting stagnant. Models like the Manix XL, Military, SE Dodo, Manix LW and Native LW (Forest Green FRCP/FRN) are ripe for some Cruwear. And with the ability to use Cruwear in Seki, you could even do some Forest Green FRN TiCN coated Cruwear models like the Delica, Dragonfly, Endura, Endela, Straight Spine Stretch, Police LW, Jester, etc!
So much yes in there! I definitely hope this combo continues, and moves into Seki models.
- Julia

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 am
Yeah, the grip on the factory Micarta Shaman was actually very slippery. I dropped it too many times! I started putting drumstick wax on it and it is more to my liking now. I will probably try this G10 version assuming I can get in on the drop!
I haven't found that to be true at all. Yeah it's not like a knife with bi-directional texturing FRN or even peel-ply G10. But I don't find it to be as slick as the smooth G10 used on the St. Nick' Shaman and I haven't really had an issue with those being slippery
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:08 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 am
I haven't found that to be true at all. Yeah it's not like a knife with bi-directional texturing FRN or even peel-ply G10. But I don't find it to be as slick as the smooth G10 used on the St. Nick' Shaman and I haven't really had an issue with those being slippery

Yeah, I guess I am used to the bi-directional texturing as I carry my Delicas or Manix LW most of the time for EDC. The Micarta felt "velvety" smooth to me from the factory and led to quite a few drops before I doctored it up.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

On IG...eta for this one is first week of February. About 435 available.
- Julia

chacho

Post by chacho »

Presale is now
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

The pre order is open now.

Looking forward to finally trying out a Cruwear Shaman! Good luck everyone!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Get in on that pre-order now while you have the chance at your leisure and don’t have to race to put your CC info in on drop date. Definitely a plus!

Rich
Think for yourself
attila

Post by attila »

I really like that and want one for the scale color especially, but that doesn't feel like a good enough reason when I have so many knives already...
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

OOS! Hope everyone got one that wanted one, and I hope this success means we'll see the same combo on other models soon. Nicely done, KJ!
- Julia

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Missed out. What a way to wake up. Glad to see they did 2 per household on such a low quantity knife so everyone can get their extra to flip!! :mad: Guess the Knife Joker moniker fits! Pretty bummed to miss out on this for how long I've been asking for a DLC Cruwear knife. :(
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JuPaul wrote:
A note on the "smooth" g10 scales on this one: I'm assuming these will be the same as the smoother g10 scales on the St.Nicks shaman.
Can anyone verify that?

The KC "smooth" g-10 scales (manix and native) are really very smooth. Basically no texture at all.

Because it's a Shaman I'd guess you are correct, but I'd be careful assuming things too quickly.