KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skybladefromthe

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by skybladefromthe »

blues wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 am
skybladefromthe wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 am
:spyder: Nobody liked the KC exclusive, smooth black G10 PM2 Cruwear either.
Correct. I'm nobody and I like it. (PM2 and Para 3.) Then again I have several smooth scaled "traditional" knives so it never presented an issue for me.
Nice! Thank you for the comment.
blues

Post by blues »

My pleasure. :cool:
- Retired from the chase -
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

:spyder: Got it. It feels good. I have a nit pick but wont get into it now because I'll need more time with it.
I just checked and they are still available. :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:15 pm
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:20 pm
Mine arrived yesterday. Really digging it. Scales are beautiful, and while not as grippy as micarta, provide plenty of grip.

I just had to . . . .

Steve, I can´t see the pics you posted (they don´t show)... but I´d really like to ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Well, I gave the KC exclusive Shaman a try, but I'm sad to say I'm returning it. I was excited when this came out because I like my Pakkawood Delica, and Rex45 is one of my favorite steels. I don't mind the look or the feel of the Dymondwood handle scale materials on this Shaman, but what really bothers me is the "phenol" chemical smell coming off the handle scale material and the smell that gets on my hands. I'm sure this would wear off/go away over time, but it really bothers me. Back it goes. I'll wait for the Burnt Orange Sprint Run version in Rex45.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

skybladefromthe wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 am
:spyder: Nobody liked the KC exclusive, smooth black G10 PM2 Cruwear either.
Hey, wait -- I thought (and still do) that the smooth black G10 Cruwear knives were absolutely great.

There were some complainers, but hey, nothing is ever unanimous.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I prefer smooth g10 with good ergos. The shaman, smooth native, raffir noble chaparral, and cold steel ultimate hunter are my favorite handles. Definitely liking the scales on this shaman so far.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

This certainly didn't disappear as quickly as the Micarta Shaman. Is the Shaman love affair over?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:31 pm
This certainly didn't disappear as quickly as the Micarta Shaman. Is the Shaman love affair over?

CG
One release that doesn't sell out in seconds doesn't mean people are no longer enthusiastic about that model. It just means that Shaman fans weren't quite as excited over this version compared to others.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
rivy

Post by rivy »

antnap124 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 pm
cycleguy wrote:

CG
No, the other shaman exclusive sold out in 10 minutes and that was only last week. I think it's just all the confusion around the scales that caused it. I bet the orange rex 45 will sell out quickly and everyone that missed out will be wishing they got this one.
These scales looks so much nicer than the orange. I know I’m in the minority, but I really don’t like the burnt orange shade they use for rex45 & hap40.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

cycleguy wrote:

CG
the Cruwear Micarta phenomenon hit the sweet spot of blade material and handle material at the same time, I believe.

There's a lot of exclusives or sprints where the blade steel is great but folks aren't a fan of the handles, and vice versa. I think this exclusive is missing the sweet spot on the handle material.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

cycleguy wrote:

CG
Doubt it, this variation just wasn't very popular.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:18 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG
the Cruwear Micarta phenomenon hit the sweet spot of blade material and handle material at the same time, I believe.

There's a lot of exclusives or sprints where the blade steel is great but folks aren't a fan of the handles, and vice versa. I think this exclusive is missing the sweet spot on the handle material.

+1

It was the first large Golden made Micarta folder coupled with arguably the best all around steel on the planet. The model was secondary. It was Cru-carta fever, not Shaman fever.

I'm not at all surprised this KC exclusive is still around, but I would bet the next few Micarta Shamans, especially in Cruwear, PD-1, and K390 will all bet met with the same enthusiasm as the first. Plenty of pent up demand still in that space. A Cru-carta Native, Delica, Dragonfly, Endura, Manix, etc would all be instant sell outs as well
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Folks are gonna pass on this and try for the Knifejoker exclusive and/or the burnt orange sprint. Many are gonna get denied and wish they had jumped on this one. The Knifejoker has already sold some through clandestine midnight preorder drops and it is supposedly a small run in the first place. If you are not in the inner circle then it may be hard to snag. I expect the burnt orange to be a bit of a feeding frenzy with them trickling out all over and drying up in seconds at each dealer.

The Shaman madness isn't over yet. I expect to see more to come. I am still holding out hope for a Blue Denim Micarta and K390 exclusive. I hope they do a huge run of them if they do. That will be madness!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

same, i'm looking forward to all the micarta variations even more than the steel variations.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

The Shaman "love affair" is most certainly not over! :p

I am a little surprised that these "wood" scales are so polarizing. If folks were smart, they'd snag one now if only for the Rex45. Scales are easy to swap! Rex45 will likely be more limited. I fully expect the burnt orange sprint to be difficult to obtain. I'll be sitting that one out, one more for you guys. ;)

Me personally, I'd much prefer the CruCarta Shaman to the Joker DLC/Green in Cruwear, and I like these wood scales over the orange G10 in Rex45. I'm an admitted junkie, but I can live with one example of each steel I like in a given Spydie model. I only have a couple duplicate steels even in my PM2 collection.

I'm a big fan of CPM M4, Maxamet, CruWear, M390, Rex45, and now, K390. But I still have some big love for the "simple" 52100 as Spyderco seasons it. :D
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 am
The Shaman madness isn't over yet. I expect to see more to come. I am still holding out hope for a Blue Denim Micarta and K390 exclusive. I hope they do a huge run of them if they do. That will be madness!
Man, I am REALLY hoping that particular combo comes to fruition!!! :D If'n my pockets were deep enough, I'd pony up to have the entire run produced and sell 'em myself! :cool:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:32 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Mine arrived yesterday. Really digging it. Scales are beautiful, and while not as grippy as micarta, provide plenty of grip.

I just had to . . . .

Steve, I can´t see the pics you posted (they don´t show)... but I´d really like to ;)

How is this Wartstein? Are my pictures showing up for you now?

SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

I see them now. :cool: Nice RexCarta! :spyder:

Mine is out for delivery! :D
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 am
Wartstein wrote:
SteveMidwest wrote:
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:

I just had to . . . .

You´re a great guy, thanks a lot, now I can see the pics!

And this looks like the perfect Shaman to me, knowing that REX45 is essentially HAP40 (which I like a lot) and the great Micarta scales! Congrats to that knife! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 am
SteveMidwest wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 am
Wartstein wrote:
SteveMidwest wrote:

I just had to . . . .

You´re a great guy, thanks a lot, now I can see the pics!

And this looks like the perfect Shaman to me, knowing that REX45 is essentially HAP40 (which I like a lot) and the great Micarta scales! Congrats to that knife! :)

That's good, and thank you! :D
It is sooooo perfect. :spyder:

It was really hard, leaving my new Cruwear/Micarta knife in the box, since Oct. 10th! Waiting for this Rex 45 to show up, and enable this blade swap. Then, I didn't have time to do the swap for a couple of days (more waiting). And after all of that. I had to wait an additional 24 hours, before carrying. Making sure my tiny drops of Loctite were cured. :p

The pictures turned out a little darker, than the knife appears in hand. Though the scales are darker than when they arrived, due to me rubbing them with a little bit of Food Grade Mineral Oil. The blade, also has a fresh coat of lightweight Silicone Oil. So there will be no patina on my watch! ;)