KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:16 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:35 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:00 am
I'm not sure I could pick a favorite! I really like the grooves on the Putman scales, but I think the terotuf actually feels softer, .....

Julia, both scales look great, but the terotuf even more so imho... I´d love such scales on my HAP40 Stretch 1, but in a darker denim I guess...
Fireside has a darker blue color,too. I know they're planning to do delica and other spydie models...definitely worth checking on Stretch ones!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 am
JMM wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 am

I have a set of his "Skinny Cut" Shaman scales, sorry about the pic, it's not the best angle, but this is what they look like.... I wasn't sure when I ordered them, but I figured with the rep he has, he probably knows what he's doing.... sure 'nuf, took me about 3 minutes after istalling to declare them awesome! I really like them, I am actually working on getting a couple more pairs from him in a diff material. He makes great stuff!

Thank you JMM. Those scales look fantastic! That clip looks familiar too . . . ;)

Have you measured those scales by chance? To see how much skinnier they are each, or overall, when mounted on the knife?

On a side note. I dropped my Micarta/Rex yesterday, while climbing a ladder. The knife was about 5 to 6 feet off of the ground when it fell. I watched it fall, and of course it all seemed to be in slow-motion! :D
It did one rotation on the way down, and landed directly on its tip into the concrete (Murphy's Law). Blowing out a piece of the concrete, about the size of a kernel of corn in the process.

Here is a picture of the tip 'damage'. >

A few rubs of the CBN stone, and I'll be back in action! :spyder:
I haven't actually done a proper measuring of them, which I can do easily enough, I can take a couple pics of side by side with OEM G10 scales if anyone is interested in something more than the data....?

That pic of your blade made me squirm when I saw it, that's not easy to get me to do! ;) I don't know a single person that uses a knife on the reg that hasn't done that a time or three, over my lifetime I'd say a half dozen or so times -- and as far as falling tip down, I think it's sorta like dropping toast butter side down... right? ;) :)

He

Cheers,

John
JMM

Post by JMM »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 am
JMM wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 am

I have a set of his "Skinny Cut" Shaman scales, sorry about the pic, it's not the best angle, but this is what they look like.... I wasn't sure when I ordered them, but I figured with the rep he has, he probably knows what he's doing.... sure 'nuf, took me about 3 minutes after istalling to declare them awesome! I really like them, I am actually working on getting a couple more pairs from him in a diff material. He makes great stuff!

Thank you JMM. Those scales look fantastic! That clip looks familiar too . . . ;)

Have you measured those scales by chance? To see how much skinnier they are each, or overall, when mounted on the knife?

On a side note. I dropped my Micarta/Rex yesterday, while climbing a ladder. The knife was about 5 to 6 feet off of the ground when it fell. I watched it fall, and of course it all seemed to be in slow-motion! :D
It did one rotation on the way down, and landed directly on its tip into the concrete (Murphy's Law). Blowing out a piece of the concrete, about the size of a kernel of corn in the process.

I haven't actually done a proper measuring of them, which I can do easily enough, I can take a couple pics of side by side with OEM G10 scales if anyone is interested in something more than the data....?

That pic of your blade made me squirm when I saw it, that's not easy to get me to do! ;) I don't know a single person that uses a knife on the reg that hasn't done that a time or three, over my lifetime I'd say a half dozen or so times -- and as far as falling tip down, I think it's sorta like dropping toast butter side down... right? ;) :)

Hey, not to further derail this thread, but on the unusual/new scales front, I am interested if anyone has used scales that have been 3D printed from "PlastiSteel aka PlaSteel"? I Just got my first set on a Delica yesterday and I'm eager to hear others input, I will post up a couple pics....

Cheers,

John
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I love this exclusive! I went back to my original g10 shaman to compare, and it's made me love these scales even more. They're lightweight, durable and grippy... Everything the Shaman needed!

I still love the g10 version for the "hand feeling" weight of the materials, but the KC one is a knockout. Big blade but lightweight and balanced.

Also, did anyone else notice the pivot screws on the KC exclusive are different. They are round while other shamans are flat.
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

[/quote]

[/quote]

How did yours end up after the touch up? I damaged my Rex45 Shaman tip on a Cholula bottle. Might just drop it off at Spydero after work or hit it with my brown rods. Think the browns could do the job?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It will take you quite a while with the brown rods if the damage is similar to what is shown in this pic. CBN/Diamond stones will make repairing damage like a chip MUCH easier and save a lot of time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 am
It will take you quite a while with the brown rods if the damage is similar to what is shown in this pic. CBN/Diamond stones will make repairing damage like a chip MUCH easier and save a lot of time.
The damage is less significant and more of a roll. Thanks for the advice. I'll just drop it off at Spyderco since I'm close and don't have CBN or Diamond stones.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

FreeGolf wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:46 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 am
The damage is less significant and more of a roll. Thanks for the advice. I'll just drop it off at Spyderco since I'm close and don't have CBN or Diamond stones.
If it's a roll, you could get it done with the browns. Plus, half the fun of this hobby is learning how to sharpen your own knives. Give it a try yourself first! I'm intentionally trying to dull some M4 myself today at work ...harder than I expected! :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would rather just sharpen it out over time. That is minor damage and it will sort itself out. The last thing I would do is let Spyderco put it to the belt sander. It isn’t bad enough for that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

These are currently in stock again for anyone who may still be interested!

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP229R ... -exclusive
-Nick :bug-red
Username827

Post by Username827 »

So far I really like mine. I hope KC does the entire Golden line like this.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Username827 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:57 am
Me, too. A native or Manix, even a pm2, in this combo would be hard to pass up.
- Julia

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Lil Native would be an insta-buy for me!
-Nick :bug-red
Username827

Post by Username827 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:54 am
Username827 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:57 am
Me, too. A native or Manix, even a pm2, in this combo would be hard to pass up.
A PM 2 or a Para 3 would be awesome!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy a Native or Manix for sure.

They should also do a second run of the Shaman.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:34 am

After some time has passed, my only issue with this combo is that I find myself not wanting to use this Shaman as hard as I would use my others. It's just so pretty, I'm afraid to damage it. Thinking about the form vs function thread, this Shaman was definitely one that I bought for function (the rex45 on the Shaman platform), but I'm keeping it for form (the beautiful scales). Knowing that, I'd still probably buy other models I like in this combo.
- Julia

Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:02 am
TomAiello wrote:

After some time has passed, my only issue with this combo is that I find myself not wanting to use this Shaman as hard as I would use my others. It's just so pretty, I'm afraid to damage it. Thinking about the form vs function thread, this Shaman was definitely one that I bought for function (the rex45 on the Shaman platform), but I'm keeping it for form (the beautiful scales). Knowing that, I'd still probably buy other models I like in this combo.
Scale swap? Or is the hardware different on the tree-Rex?

I also would love to see this combo on the native or manix. Or a lil native. I'd prefer the back lock, but comp lock might be easier since it has liners.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JuPaul wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

I had that issue for a couple days on the Dragonfly. I got over it and just started carrying it, and I actually like it more now, with some character.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:29 pm
JuPaul wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

Scale swap? Or is the hardware different on the tree-Rex?

I also would love to see this combo on the native or manix. Or a lil native. I'd prefer the back lock, but comp lock might be easier since it has liners.
Yeah, the pivot screw is different on the Rexwood, but I've seen aftermarket scales that accommodate it. But if I swap them, I won't get to see them...dilemma! ;) I've carried my pakkawood delica plenty without feeling this way, but I don't use delicas like I might use a Shaman. Anyhow, it's really not a problem - I've got a beautiful knife that I just want to baby a bit more than others. I really can't complain.
- Julia

Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JuPaul wrote:

After some time has passed, my only issue with this combo is that I find myself not wanting to use this Shaman as hard as I would use my others. It's just so pretty, I'm afraid to damage it. Thinking about the form vs function thread, this Shaman was definitely one that I bought for function (the rex45 on the Shaman platform), but I'm keeping it for form (the beautiful scales).
This has become one of my most carried knives. I am just not worrying about it, nor am I anticipating any issues. I don't think it is as delicate as we think. There is one thin bit alongside the thing you push to release the blade that I worry about, but so far it is doing just fine. This is a great knife and I am glad to have it.

I suspect (but don't really know) that the Pakkawood is a lot tougher than we think, being an impregnated (and laminated) wood product.