KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by Ankerson »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:04 pm
Our land fills and oceans are full of silica packages ... doesn't bother me to see them go, probably a good thing.

CG

I have bunches of extra ones so I just put one in the box.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Rex 45 is well known for its ability to avoid oxidation without too much moisture in the air or on the blade. Maybe they decided they were good without? Maybe the wood absorbs any moisture that might somehow leak in the bag before the customer gets their hands on it, giving it just enough of an edge against oxidation that Spyderco decided they weren’t necessary?
Interesting for sure, but I agree with cycleguy for one reason or another, bottom line is that we don’t need em.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:33 pm
Hi Sky,

Your equipment will do the job, depending on your skill level. You may consider looking into a Sharpmaker?

sal
Thanks Sal. I am going to get a Sharpmaker for sure.
I am loving the Shaman by the way.
Have you ever seen any of those mystery drones out there?
Peace.
skybladefromthe

skybladefromthe wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:34 am
sal wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:33 pm
Hi Sky,

Your equipment will do the job, depending on your skill level. You may consider looking into a Sharpmaker?

sal
Thanks Sal. I am going to get a Sharpmaker for sure.
I am loving the Shaman by the way.
Have you ever seen any of those mystery drones out there?
Sky
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

It's official... Sold Out... Listed as discontinued on the site. I'm ecstatic about the knife. It's phenomenal and the scales are much nicer done than many were "saying".
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mm1313 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am
It's official... Sold Out... Listed as discontinued on the site. I'm ecstatic about the knife. It's phenomenal and the scales are much nicer done than many were "saying".
Yep, sold out last night. Let the crying begin. :rolleyes: Folks can't say they didn't have plenty of time to jump on this Rex45...
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:11 am
Mm1313 wrote:
Yep, sold out last night. Let the crying begin. :rolleyes: Folks can't say they didn't have plenty of time to jump on this Rex45...

Yep, I got mine. :)

In the box and safe.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I hope they commission other golden models in this combo! I will definitely try to get one of the burnt orange manix 2's, but I'd really love a rexwood version. Rexwood lil' native, pm2, native5, para3...
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:12 am
SpyderPhreak wrote:
Mm1313 wrote:

In the box and safe.
Mine is in my pocket today. :D At least the flipper market for this one should be negligible. :p
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:22 am
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:12 am
SpyderPhreak wrote:
Mm1313 wrote:

In the box and safe.
Mine is in my pocket today. :D At least the flipper market for this one should be negligible. :p

Didn't buy it to use, I have a REX45 Military that's a user.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 am
I hope they commission other golden models in this combo! I will definitely try to get one of the burnt orange manix 2's, but I'd really love a rexwood version. Rexwood lil' native, pm2, native5, para3...
Interesting thought. :cool:

I'd figured we'd only see wood-product Spyderco scales on full liner knives, so hadn't even gone there. You never know though, Spyderco has been known to surprise-- in good ways. :spyder: :cool:

Wood :eek: be very interesting to see.

Thanks for getting me out of one preconceived notion.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:30 am
JuPaul wrote:

I'd figured we'd only see wood-product Spyderco scales on full liner knives, so hadn't even gone there. You never know though, Spyderco has been known to surprise-- in good ways. :spyder: :cool:

Good point - i hadn't considered the liner issue. Wonder if skeletonized liners would be enough support?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
skybladefromthe

I never thought I got it until the offer to cancel from KC. Yesterday I carried briefly. Love it. But things get a little strange for me now that I am considering a G-10 version. I'm curious if there's a complimentary clip option that won't protrude so much?
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

Just put an order in at pops custom clips for a deep carry
skybladefromthe

Hatchet 7419 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:02 pm
Just put an order in at pops custom clips for a deep carry
Thanks @Hatchet 7419 !
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:37 am
Enactive wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:30 am
JuPaul wrote:

Good point - i hadn't considered the liner issue. Wonder if skeletonized liners would be enough support?
I'd think the skeletonizing may be less an issue than the partial liners, but again would be curious if we see any such construction.

I like linerless G10 and FRN, but an skeptical of linerless micarta. For me, and I think Spyderco, micarta may not be dimensionally stable enough (for certain lock types esp. backlock) to use linerless.

On the Crucarta Shaman we have big ol liners and backspacer supporting the entire works.

My impressions is that G10 has rigidity and dimensional stability that micarta lacks. I think both have plenty of impact resistance and strength for folder handles.

Dunno about those characteristics of Pakkawood and Dymondwood. I'd imagine them to be pretty good too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm
I like linerless G10 and FRN, but an skeptical of linerless micarta.

Dunno about those characteristics of Pakkawood and Dymondwood. I'd imagine them to be pretty good too.

Spyderco made a number of unlined Micarta midlocks, back in the day. Have a fair number of them, never had any stability, shrikage, or other issues with any of them.

Am reasonably sure the "wood" on the Shamans is either Dymondwood or Pakawood. If that's true, then it's a plywood made of many very thin layers of wood, and stabilized. It's close to the wood fiber equivalent of G-10, CF, and Micarta in terms of strength.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:27 pm
Enactive wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm
I like linerless G10 and FRN, but an skeptical of linerless micarta.

Spyderco made a number of unlined Micarta midlocks, back in the day. Have a fair number of them, never had any stability, shrikage, or other issues with any of them.

Am reasonably sure the "wood" on the Shamans is either Dymondwood or Pakawood. If that's true, then it's a plywood made of many very thin layers of wood, and stabilized. It's close to the wood fiber equivalent of G-10, CF, and Micarta in terms of strength.
Thanks, Paul for the historical reminder.

I have always been interested in those old micarta models since i first saw photos of them. Haven't had the chance to handle one and haven't pursued on the secondary market.

Glad to hear you have lots of good experience with those models. It's good to get first hand perspective from someone with such a large collection and lots of years using them.

I have read and heard lots of murmurings and speculations about the reasons for Spyderco discontinuing their use of micarta on folders for several? years. I thought I had maybe read a comment from Sal about issues of dimensional instability in transit from humid to dry climates etc.

My skepticism about unlined micarta handled folders comes from handling a Buck 110 pro with micarta scales. Which is perhaps not a fair basis for comparison.

Your collection (of Stretches etc especially) is enviable. I would love to have a go at handling some of the knives from your collection or Larry's or Darby's, Reject's, Spydercollector, lotsa others too. Spyderco has and still makes so many darn cool knives. :spyder: :cool:

As for the wood products, i have worked with both Kebony and Accoya and high end plywoods and also with woods like Bubinga and Ipe, but have yet to work with Dymondwood or Pakkawood. Would be interested to see how it machines.
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

Loving this knife. Been carrying it everyday since arriving last friday. The scales change appearance depending on the light that it is in. I have seen the wood appear very dark and wet and have also seen it look really grainy and pinkish to the point where it looked like a completely different scale. The REX45, coupled with truly unique handles is a real home run in my opinion. No user is going to have the exact same scale and patina pattern. That beats any green, orange, pink, red, doodoo brown plastic by a landslide in my book.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Well ... I'd have to say that this Exclusive went exceptionally well! Pre-solds and plenty available afterwards so people had a couple days to get in before they were all gone. Well done indeed!

Congrats to Knife Center and all who got them.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!