KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderPhreak

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Shipping notice!!! :cool: :spyder: :D
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

All this Shaman talk make me want to pick a burnt orange sprint when it comes out :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Much to my surprise, some more of them became available this morning. And as I am typing this, they are still available to be ordered (not preordered, ordered mind you!). So I ordered one and already have gotten the notice that it is shipped. I had fully expected to miss out on this.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:48 pm
All this Shaman talk make me want to pick a burnt orange sprint when it comes out :D
Rosewood Dymondwood >> Burnt Orange G10 :eek: ;) :D

Plus, YOU CAN BUY IT NOW!!! :spyder:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

Well mine arrived today. !st Shamon and I'm impressed.

I did notice the Handles were dry ad a little slippery so I rubbed some mineral oil on it, let it sit, then wiped it down with a rag,
Now the color is more rich and the handles grippier.

I don't usually get wood handles but I likey.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:13 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:05 pm
Can somebody enlighten me why people are commenting saying the scales are "cheap". I doubt getting the contours just right on these is anything but easy.

If I recall correctly many users basically said the same thing for the initial Shaman. "200 bucks for g10 and s30v too expensive, pass". Now you have a rare blade steel with a good looking handle for same price, wnd you still find a reason to complain. :confused:
I'm sure the scales aren't cheap, in terms of price to manufacture them. But when looking at them, and feeling them in hand...they just have a cheap feeling to them. I too was very excited initially for more Rex45 and scales that I thought were going to be very comparable to the Pakkawood scales. I'm left disappointed and will be trying to return mine or sell it. Tried to love it last night once I got home, just can't do it.

Off topic...does anybody know where you can get some Shaman scales?? I'm having trouble finding any. I don't really want to get rid of the knife because I love the model and steel. That's my only hope for keeping this one :o
Sorry it's not growing on you. :( Unless you really love burnt orange, I'd hang onto it and and swap scales. RCBladeworks had some really cool micarta scales for sale a few weeks ago. If I was going to buy shaman scales, I'd get these. He had other colors, too. Sold out I think but if you pm him I bet you can order more.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

W7H2O wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:49 pm
Well mine arrived today. !st Shamon and I'm impressed.

I did notice the Handles were dry ad a little slippery so I rubbed some mineral oil on it, let it sit, then wiped it down with a rag,
Now the color is more rich and the handles grippier.

I don't usually get wood handles but I likey.
Nice idea. I may do the same.
- Julia

blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Looking forward to trying REX45 and in a Shaman!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:59 pm
RCBladeworks had some really cool micarta scales for sale a few weeks ago. If I was going to buy shaman scales, I'd get these. He had other colors, too. Sold out I think but if you pm him I bet you can order more.
Dude! Those scales look cheap.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

antnap124 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:25 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:02 pm
JuPaul wrote:
RCBladeworks had some really cool micarta scales for sale a few weeks ago. If I was going to buy shaman scales, I'd get these. He had other colors, too. Sold out I think but if you pm him I bet you can order more.
its a thread full of disappointing scales :(
Remember this: "Beauty is only skin deep - but ugly goes all the way to the bone"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

antnap124 wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

The Shaman should have been Micarta out of the gate. The Cru-carta was fantastic and the INSANE demand proved how much influence a steel/scale combo can have on an otherwise average selling model. Not really surprised that this is still available. Especially with all the Rex45 coming in the next few months.

The custom Micarta shown above does look a little cheap, but the Micarta on the Cruwear model was the excellent. Burnt Orange Micarta would have been cool for the Rex45 Shaman Sprint.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:37 pm
antnap124 wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Remember this: "Beauty is only skin deep - but ugly goes all the way to the bone"
Everyone's a critic. ;) I'll admit they look rough around the screw holes, but that's easily fixed. I think they look awesomely 70s retro.
- Julia

Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Everyone's a critic. ;) I'll admit they look rough around the screw holes, but that's easily fixed. I think they look awesomely 70s retro.
Ha ha ha. Look, what really matters to me is how they feel in hand! I want something that feels like I grabbed onto a scaly lizard, not a wet fish!
If they look like something that has been through a war, that suits me very well.

I'm looking forward to the wood composite "rosewood" Rex45 that is on the way. I am actually happier it is some composite than if it had been solid wood. It is all about my expectations of function (but the photos I have seen don't look bad - or let me say it this way: they look pretty doggone good!). I do want a Rex45 Shaman and wasn't sure if holding out for the G10 sprint (which is all about function) would be prudent. If I end up with one of those also, I can live with that I think. ;)

Also, I have great faith in Spyderco's choice of the scale material. If it was not going to be a quality item that Spyderco could stand behind and be proud of, I think they would have talked Knifecenter out of it, or just refused -- at least that is what I expect from Spyderco.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:13 pm
Off topic...does anybody know where you can get some Shaman scales?? I'm having trouble finding any. I don't really want to get rid of the knife because I love the model and steel. That's my only hope for keeping this one :o
Sorry it's not growing on you. :( Unless you really love burnt orange, I'd hang onto it and and swap scales. RCBladeworks had some really cool micarta scales for sale a few weeks ago. If I was going to buy shaman scales, I'd get these. He had other colors, too. Sold out I think but if you pm him I bet you can order more.

Fireside lists scales for the Shaman as coming soon

https://firesideco.com/product-category ... /spyderco/
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:35 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Also, I have great faith in Spyderco's choice of the scale material. If it was not going to be a quality item that Spyderco could stand behind and be proud of, I think they would have talked Knifecenter out of it, or just refused -- at least that is what I expect from Spyderco.
Yes. I like the "rosewood" scales, no plans to replace them!
- Julia

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

....and on another note....there's a discussion in one of the Spyderco FB groups about why this exclusive run didn't sell out fast like some of the others. One guy's theory was that KC saw the whole Crucarta Shaman deal and ordered a 100K pc run. Now they're stuck with it. :)

Yet another reason I need to stay out of the FB groups
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 pm
....and on another note....there's a discussion in one of the Spyderco FB groups about why this exclusive run didn't sell out fast like some of the others. One guy's theory was that KC saw the whole Crucarta Shaman deal and ordered a 100K pc run. Now they're stuck with it. :)

100k? 😂 But it does seem like they did a big run, which is really nice.
- Julia

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 pm

100k? 😂 But it does seem like they did a big run, which is really nice.
They might've but I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people who were originally interested saw the REX 45 sprint run coming and decided to try for that and/or they decided the laminated wood handles weren't really for them. Since the dealer can order additional runs for exclusives it doesn't really make sense to make a big run. Do a standard run and see how it does. Then order another if successful.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Yes, this is a welcome change. They have been up for sale all day (and still are!), not just a 5 minute window. I do hope Knifecenter didn't stick their neck out too far on the shaman chopping block. I think they will clear them out, even if not via the usual frenzy. I am actually very optimistic about this knife having an excellent in hand feel. We will see in just a few days.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Guys, can someone of you measure thickness of the scales on Shaman?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45