KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by JuPaul »

Surprise for me a day earlier than expected - the new Shaman was at my door when I got home with my kids! I agree with Rick, the scales do feel like a laminate, but I think they're really nicely done. A tad more texturing would be nice, but I think they feel pretty much like the pakkawood knives - very durable but attractive. I'd definitely buy a manix or other models in this configuration. Here's some pics for comparison. The shaman definitely has a more reddish tone that the camera didn't quite capture.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was going to say, yours look fantastic Julia! I think the reddish hue I see in mine is what makes them appear "cheap" to me...but being "rosewood" I would assume I should have expected a color with a hint of red/pink. I'll have to stare at it awhile when I get home. The grain in yours looks very nice though!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:00 pm
I was going to say, yours look fantastic Julia! I think the reddish hue I see in mine is what makes them appear "cheap" to me...but being "rosewood" I would assume I should have expected a color with a hint of red/pink. I'll have to stare at it awhile when I get home. The grain in yours looks very nice though!
Yeah, if I had to pick a favorite "color" right now btw the pakkawood and this dymondwood, I'd probably pick the pakkawood. But I think the warmer rosewood is nice, too, and I like that these are different than the pakkawood models.
- Julia

Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:49 pm
Hatchet 7419 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:45 am
Are they having another run the 24th?
From their email, it sounded like they were giving people until the 24th to cancel their pre-orders, then they would release any of those canceled orders again for sale. But I don't think they've given a specific time for that re-release.
Tomorrow, January 24th, at 11 AM Eastern. They posted an update on social media.

Despite it having a Compression lock, I'm still not convinced I don't need this. We'll see. :D
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

Thank you for the update . This is my social media lol
rivy

Post by rivy »

My arrived today too. It’s gorgeous. Feels like wood to me and looks awesome.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

rivy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:57 pm
Come on, these definitely don't feel like wood. Don't fill the forum with nonsense :confused:

-Rick
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Feels like wood to me. Mine has a grainy texture running parallel with the handle. I like it so far, but first splinter I get, I’d have to replace them. I have an irrational and overpowering hatred for splinters 😑.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:27 pm
rivy wrote:
Come on, these definitely don't feel like wood. Don't fill the forum with nonsense :confused:

Maybe I did not get you quite right, but you´re actually saying someone who shares how a handle / material feels to him personally would "fill the forum with nonsense"?!

That´s a really weird statement I have to say... How can you judge how a handle feels to someone else? (And furthermore it is really totally comprehensible that a contoured, laminated wood handle can feel, well, like wood to someone...)

A bit like as if you´d happen to like how the PM2 feels in hand better than the Manix feels and you would share this, and then I´d say to you "you fill the forum with nonsense" just cause I might feel differently and prefer the Manix... :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^I agree with Wartstein. My Pakkawood knives feel like wood to me. I have walnut and laminated rifle stocks that have a pretty thick poly finish on them but they still feel like wood gun stocks especially when compared to synthetic materials.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:05 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
rivy wrote:

Maybe I did not get you quite right, but you´re actually saying someone who shares how a handle / material feels to him personally would "fill the forum with nonsense"?!

That´s a really weird statement I have to say... How can you judge how a handle feels to someone else? (And furthermore it is really totally comprehensible that a contoured, laminated wood handle can feel, well, like wood to someone...)

A bit like as if you´d happen to like how the PM2 feels in hand better than the Manix feels and you would share this, and then I´d say to you "you fill the forum with nonsense" just cause I might feel differently and prefer the Manix... :confused:
As usual...you have a lot to say.

I've held real wooded handle scaled knives in the past. My grandfather had a friend who used to make his own out of possibly oak?? I honestly can't remember exactly. But it was real wood that he would apply a bit of poly to them. I know the feel of those scales in hand, the density, the texture...is quite different than the feel of these scales. As Sharp Guy said, which I agree with...the Pakkawood scales feel much more like real wood than these scales do too. These honestly have a cheap and plastic feel to them. Maybe Rivy hasn't felt these other types of scales?? That I don't know, but to say they feel like actual wood, I strongly disagree with. They even sound like plastic when you tap on them.

The PM2 and Manix are a totally design, I'm talking about strictly materials here. That doesn't make any sense.

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I procrastinated at first and was unsure if I wanted this. Then I remembered that I had a $50 gift card to KC. Shaman on its way!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is stabilized plywood, usually made from birch. No different than what comes on gun stocks and pistol grips. It isn’t supposed to feel like wood. It is supposed to look like wood and be very stable.

Also, wood treated with poly always feels a little like plastic to me as does stabilized wood.

Unless you are touching wood with an oil finish it will feel a little artificial in my experience.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:05 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
rivy wrote:

As usual...you have a lot to say.

I've held real wooded handle scaled knives in the past. My grandfather had a friend who used to make his own out of possibly oak?? I honestly can't remember exactly. But it was real wood that he would apply a bit of poly to them. I know the feel of those scales in hand, the density, the texture...is quite different than the feel of these scales. As Sharp Guy said, which I agree with...the Pakkawood scales feel much more like real wood than these scales do too. These honestly have a cheap and plastic feel to them. Maybe Rivy hasn't felt these other types of scales?? That I don't know, but to say they feel like actual wood, I strongly disagree with. They even sound like plastic when you tap on them.

The PM2 and Manix are a totally design, I'm talking about strictly materials here. That doesn't make any sense.

Thanx for your reply, but did you actually thoroughly read my post?

If not, please do so. This is NOT about "how lamiated wood feels generally, to most people or to YOU".
This is about you literally TELLING a person "not to fill the forum with nonsense", just cause this person shares with us, how something FEELS to HIM PERSONALLY. And this happens to be "laminated wood to him feels like wood". A totally subjective perception, that can't be argued,just like if the Manix or PM2 FEELS better in hand to a certain person.

TELLING people "not to fill the forum with nonsense", just cause they share their personal impression of whatever, is not how things normally get discussed here.

THAT is what my post was about.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:17 am
It isn’t supposed to feel like wood. It is supposed to look like wood and be very stable.

Thank you Darby!

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

This one has sold fast enough that I bet KC will do another run. They tend to do that (re-run their exclusives) which I really appreciate, because it cuts down on the crazy flipping.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Kinda hoping to snag one of these today. Another Shaman in a new steel, with yet another different handle material. :cool:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I ended up canceling my preorder as well, so theres one more for those looking to grab one today. ;)

I decided to wait and try for the Burnt Orange Sprint instead.
-Nick :bug-red
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

I'm a bit undecided on whether I'd have this wood one of the orange G10. If I don't manage to score one today, I'll try for the G10 later. Though it would be cool to have 3 Shamans, all with different steels and totally different handle materials. :D
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Good luck this morning, everyone! Hope everyone snags one that wants one!
- Julia