KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
buckleys

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by buckleys »

Email straight from knifecenter to everyone saying it's Dymonwood and not real rosewood, asking if people want to cancel because of that
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Good on them for the correction, and for letting people back out if they want to. I'm still in.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Definitely still in. Diamondwood is much more my cup of tea than solid wood. Now I won’t have to worry about swapping the scales :D .
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Does dymondwood feel more like plastic or more like wood? I've never had a knife with them
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

buckleys wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:52 pm
Does dymondwood feel more like plastic or more like wood? I've never had a knife with them
It is basically plywood. It can be polished like a gun stock or left more natural like the previous pakkawood exclusives which had a wood like feel.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

Just curious, who makes dymondwood now? Didn’t Rutland Plywood burn down in 2014 and never opened again? They were the original makers of it.
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

So is it pakkawood?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 pm
Good on them for the correction, and for letting people back out if they want to. I'm still in.
I agree! Their honesty and reaching out to everyone that had placed an order for this knife, makes me want it even more. That's great customer service right there and I have no problem backing that up with my wallet.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I'm still in!
KnifeCenter

Post by KnifeCenter »

Hi everyone -

I see that many of you have already received an email from us, but for those of you who didn't place a pre-order, I wanted to clear up our mistake:

It has come to our attention that the KnifeCenter Exclusive Spyderco Shaman was incorrectly listed as having rosewood as the handle material. The handle scales are actually composed of Dymondwood: a laminate material composed of thin layers of American Birch stabilized with phenolic resins. This material is optimal for knife handles in that it retains the beauty of wood but is incredibly stable and will not warp or absorb moisture. We understand that it is not solid rosewood and do not want to sell it to you under false pretenses.

We apologize for the confusion. For those who did pre-order the knife, we leave it to you to decide if you still want the knife or would prefer to cancel your order. You can respond to the email we sent, or call us during East Coast business hours at 1.800.338.6799. We would appreciate a response by January 24, 2020 so we can sell the product to others waiting for it.

Thank you and again, we apologize for this situation.

Seth V - KnifeCenter
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

I called and still went ahead with my preorder. Can't wait to get this Shaman. Knifecenter said they will be shipping Monday.
Organic556

Post by Organic556 »

I think they should start shipping out Monday according to my email .
Stay alert stay alive. :spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:13 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 pm
I agree! Their honesty and reaching out to everyone that had placed an order for this knife, makes me want it even more. That's great customer service right there and I have no problem backing that up with my wallet.

Got that email too, good for them coming out with it.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Dymondwood/pakkawood feels like very fine finished satin plastic - you don't really feel the wood grain - I happen to like it a lot

How does it wear though? When it gets nicks, does it start chunking? I guess one shouldn't drop it
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Knife center has let me down so many times I dont know what to think. Problem is they have good exclusives, but it's a crap shoot every time. With the micarta shaman I pre ordered immediatley and got screwed over...luckily I was on multiple lists and grabbed one.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi KinfeCenter (Seth), FreeGolf, Organic,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Asked for a pakkawood shaman Jan 20th 2018...now that its here I probably wont get one....I know I know patience grasshopper...I like to know I'm in control of my purchases but with kc, they are...if I could pre order I wouldn't cause I've been burned so many times. They need to get it together.
sal

Post by sal »

For what it's worth. I sure like mine. I have one of each of the Shaman sprints and exclusives. I know I' partial because I designed the model, but I must confess, I like them all.

sal
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Nothing but love for you Sal, as always...my gripes are only to try to make customer acquisition more possible for desired product. Your designs and marketing are second to none.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Were these sold through preorder only and are sold out already? No actual drop when they have knives in hand?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?