To Signet Ring Or Not To Signet Ring, That Is My Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

To Signet Ring Or Not To Signet Ring, That Is My Question

Post by JaseRicco »

I'm looking at picking up a Matriarch 2 w/ Emerson Wave on the used market from BF. In my research I know this is a popular knife to install a Signet Ring on, and there is one for sale on BF w/ one of these installed.

I'm not really sure that I see the point, so looking to be enlightened. My first thought is that when going with a knife that already offers a full comfortable grip, a grip that would unlikely slip due to the bi-directional texturing of the FRN, there would be no point of a Signet Ring other than pure aesthetics.

Another thought is that in a lot of States, especially here in NJ, you would want as little sticking out of the pocket as possible. I am authorized to carry such knives, but even still, I always want to draw as little attention as I can. I would most likely even order a deep carry clip from MXG. Now this doesn't necessarily come into play during the Winter, wearing bigger heavier clothes and all, but Summer will be here before we know it.

What are your thoughts?
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
curlyhairedboy

Re: To Signet Ring Or Not To Signet Ring, That Is My Question

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've owned a matriarch 2 with both the emerson opener and the signet ring.

My thoughts:

The matriarch 2 is a little big for the signet ring's natural karambit grip. This is why I advocate for an emerson opener on some of the shorter hawkbill models....

The matriarch 2's backlock did not inspire confidence. I'm sure it's been tested and is suitable for gross motor movements and impacts, but under hard hand pressure in reverse grip, I found that my hands could depress the lock a small amount, causing up and down play in the lockup. Curiously, the lock only needs to move a mm or 2 to fully unlock. Then you potentially have that nasty blade coming down on your fingers....

The actual signet ring deployment method is very solid. Ideally it clips on the inside (closest to your fly) edge of your front RH pocket. You deploy in a movement across your body and the emerson opener pairs very well.

In summary - i'd like a comp lock or BBL matriarch 2 in LC200n. Built as it is now, it didn't inspire enough confidence for me to carry the one I had, so it moved on.

Also keep in mind that the matriarch was not intended to have the signet ring installed, so my complaints about the lockup are probably not valid in its designed grip and uses.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Well.. In my opinion that contraption does as much for the knife as a wet suit for a frog..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've always considered them to be nothing more than a bit of conspicuous "tacticool" hokum. But ****, I'm just some guy on the internet, what do I know ;)..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would never put that on one of my knives. I am not into SD knives though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:59 am
I've owned a matriarch 2 with both the emerson opener and the signet ring.

My thoughts:

The matriarch 2 is a little big for the signet ring's natural karambit grip. This is why I advocate for an emerson opener on some of the shorter hawkbill models....

The matriarch 2's backlock did not inspire confidence. I'm sure it's been tested and is suitable for gross motor movements and impacts, but under hard hand pressure in reverse grip, I found that my hands could depress the lock a small amount, causing up and down play in the lockup. Curiously, the lock only needs to move a mm or 2 to fully unlock. Then you potentially have that nasty blade coming down on your fingers....

The actual signet ring deployment method is very solid. Ideally it clips on the inside (closest to your fly) edge of your front RH pocket. You deploy in a movement across your body and the emerson opener pairs very well.

In summary - i'd like a comp lock or BBL matriarch 2 in LC200n. Built as it is now, it didn't inspire enough confidence for me to carry the one I had, so it moved on.

Also keep in mind that the matriarch was not intended to have the signet ring installed, so my complaints about the lockup are probably not valid in its designed grip and uses.

Thank you for the info.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 pm
Well.. In my opinion that contraption does as much for the knife as a wet suit for a frog..

lol, I'm kinda leaning in this direction as well.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:42 pm
I've always considered them to be nothing more than a bit of conspicuous "tacticool" hokum. But ****, I'm just some guy on the internet, what do I know ;)..

Your opinion still counts to me
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:51 pm
I would never put that on one of my knives. I am not into SD knives though.

SD or not, still trying to decide if these thing offer any real benefit, thinking not so much.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

If you look at purpose-designed karambits, the length of the handle WITH the ring accommodates four fingers. When you add a ring to a handle that already accommodates four fingers, you move your grip away from the blade by one finger's width. If you then try to apply karambit technique, which works best by initiating cuts in reverse grip with the heel of the edge, you end up trying to cut with the pivot-pin end of the handle.

Unless you have giant hands that won't fit on an Endura/Matriarch 2 handle, there is no functional benefit to it.

Stay safe,

Mike
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

hmmm. Spyderco Karahawk in SE H1? that would be fantastic....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:55 am
If you look at purpose-designed karambits, the length of the handle WITH the ring accommodates four fingers. When you add a ring to a handle that already accommodates four fingers, you move your grip away from the blade by one finger's width. If you then try to apply karambit technique, which works best by initiating cuts in reverse grip with the heel of the edge, you end up trying to cut with the pivot-pin end of the handle.

Unless you have giant hands that won't fit on an Endura/Matriarch 2 handle, there is no functional benefit to it.

Stay safe,

Mike
There it is from the expert himself. Maybe the signet runs is a better fit for a Lil' Matriarch?

I had a Matriach 2 with the Emerson open, got stolen out of my car. Excellent knife, actually works quite well for EDC also.

I carried it on the inside of my left-hand pocket, so that the wave caught the fly-side of my jeans pocket, so I could draw straight up, tight to my body. I found this a lot more reliable than drawing backwards, not to mention quicker, and it also allows you to draw in a tighter space. You are pretty locked into reverse grip though.

After about a year, I just didn't find myself needing to carry three knives/day anymore so it became a car knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Michael Janich wrote:

Stay safe,

Mike

This is exactly what I was thinking, thank you for your expert advice, much appreciated.

If I do go with the Matriarch, it will be without a Signet Ring.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:20 am
Michael Janich wrote:

Stay safe,

Mike
After about a year, I just didn't find myself needing to carry three knives/day anymore so it became a car knife.

This is exactly why I have not pulled the trigger on the Matriarch. I do like to carry an EDC daily, so to pick up a knife for the sole purpose of SD means I would have to start choosing between ED and SD carry. Now there are certainly times when choosing to carry a SD knife is an easy choice, like when I was recently in Newark, but those times are really far and few in between, so I'm thinking the Matriarch will just sit in the drawer. We'll see.

I really just wish NJ would get with the times and allow conceal carry, this would eliminate me having to make a choice :D Never happen though.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am
This is exactly why I have not pulled the trigger on the Matriarch. I do like to carry an EDC daily, so to pick up a knife for the sole purpose of SD means I would have to start choosing between ED and SD carry. Now there are certainly times when choosing to carry a SD knife is an easy choice, like when I was recently in Newark, but those times are really far and few in between, so I'm thinking the Matriarch will just sit in the drawer. We'll see.

I really just wish NJ would get with the times and allow conceal carry, this would eliminate me having to make a choice :D Never happen though.
I was in Philly recently and our Lyft driver couldn't stop saying bad things about New Jersey. He said he dreaded late-night calls to Camden in particular.

I had no idea New Jersey was so dangerous! I always think of it like a big suburb.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am

I was in Philly recently and our Lyft driver couldn't stop saying bad things about New Jersey. He said he dreaded late-night calls to Camden in particular.

I had no idea New Jersey was so dangerous! I always think of it like a big suburb.

There are certainly more nice areas than bad. I live at the Jersey Shore, it’s safe and beautiful here, and your assumption is correct, a large portion of Jersey is suburbs. Camden is one of the most dangerous cities in the US, but it wouldn’t be fair to judge Jersey as a whole on just one city. That would be like bad mouthing all of NY because someone hates late night calls to the Bronx. The Bronx is just one borough of NY, but NY has a lot of beautiful safe areas. Sounds like he was just in a bad mood or doesn’t know what he was talking about, especially coming from someone from Philly.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold: