Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:51 am

... Meant to be just a fun little thread:

From time to time I still stumble across Spyderco knives I´ve never seen or heard of before.
Mostly those are "niche" knives, as in "very specialized designs, which will never be first choices for generall edc", but perhaps instead very good for specific tasks.

Just today this happened to me with the ROC (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C177G/938 pic below taken from the Spyderco homepage)

As said, not a design optimized for general edc at all, but very cool looking and perhaps quite good for example at cutting ("cleaving") stuff on a cutting board for a knife this size

Any "niche-", hardly known, or just lately discovered by you Spydercos you´d like to share? ;)

Image
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

JMM
Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:39 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest (OR)

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby JMM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:36 am

One of my all time favourite knives ever made by any company. The Spyderco Ulize, it is a cutting beast - 4.12 inch blade, and the ergos, while you might not necessarily think so from looking at it, are absolutely amazing! I think allot of people would fall in love instantly if they had the the opportunity to hold it for a tic...

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=777

Image

VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby VooDooChild » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:37 am

You dont religiously look through the catalog every year like I do? The roc has been around for a few years.
No, I get what you are saying. I dont think there are many current models that most people on here dont know about. Although there are plenty of older models I dont know about.

I think the most niche knives are stuff like the snapit salt and dogtag folder/squarehead.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Sumdumguy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 am

The ARK was designed for stabbin' fools in the shower.

That's pretty "niche", right?

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 am

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 am
The ARK was designed for stabbin' fools in the shower.

That's pretty "niche", right?
Yeah, but maybe just cause fools don't shower a lot... :p
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Sumdumguy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:23 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 am
The ARK was designed for stabbin' fools in the shower.

That's pretty "niche", right?
Yeah, but maybe just cause fools don't shower a lot... :p
Apparently they do in the military. Gotta protect that booty!

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 am
The ARK was designed for stabbin' fools in the shower.

That's pretty "niche", right?
Yeah, but maybe just cause fools don't shower a lot... :p
Apparently they do in the military. Gotta protect that booty!

Thought you were kidding at first... looked up the ARK just now and learned about the serious background of the knife (honestly had no idea what it was specifically designed for)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Sumdumguy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:35 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 am
The ARK was designed for stabbin' fools in the shower.

That's pretty "niche", right?
Yeah, but maybe just cause fools don't shower a lot... :p
Apparently they do in the military. Gotta protect that booty!

Thought you were kidding at first... looked up the ARK just now and learned about the serious background of the knife (honestly had no idea what it was specifically designed for)
It's a strange world we live in!

User avatar
spoonrobot
Member
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:37 am
Location: Smyrna, Georgia USA

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby spoonrobot » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 am

The Khukri is one that seems to have been dropped from collective knowledge pretty quickly. Part of the cursed foliage green group of models from the late 2000s, I think there were several "issues" that memory-holed the knife. As mentioned the handle color was a big one but price was as well, people also seemed to really dislike the plunge line aesthetic. It's a shame because the knife is one of the best small blade - big cutting ability models I've ever used. Sized like a delica but cut better than an endura.

Image
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=368

Image

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:50 am

spoonrobot wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 am
The Khukri is one that seems to have been dropped from collective knowledge pretty quickly....

I think I'd particullary like the negative blade angle on this one for many tasks...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 860
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby kennethsime » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am

I love the Foliage Green of the Khukri, but can't get down with the blade design. The whole Ed Schemp Native Series was a big deal when I was first following Spyderco. While some of the designs are timeless, I can't say I miss this one. I'm happy with Spyderco's shift from offering so many crazy blade design collaborations towards offering more in-house designed knives. Sal & Eric are the best knife designers around in my book!
C90GRE Stretch 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open
C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V
C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green
C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green
C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta

yablanowitz
Member
Posts: 5171
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Liberal, Kansas

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby yablanowitz » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:45 am

If it's "niche" you want, look up the Maddox. It doesn't get more niche than that, with the possible exception of the Whale Rescue blade.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 am

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:45 am
If it's "niche" you want, look up the Maddox. It doesn't get more niche than that, with the possible exception of the Whale Rescue blade.

Did look it up (this thread is getting more and more interesting) - you´re right, REALLY "niche", but probably a great design for those who need it ("those with limited physical movement" (quote from the Spyderco page))

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=50
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:29 am

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:37 am
You dont religiously look through the catalog every year like I do? The roc has been around for a few years.
No, I get what you are saying. I dont think there are many current models that most people on here dont know about. Although there are plenty of older models I dont know about.

....

Actually I do look through the catalog from time to time, but probably not "religiously", but more "casually" ;)
And my memory is not the best, so I most likely forget rather soon again about some models of which I know I´´ll never buy them anyway...;)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Larry_Mott » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 am

I'd say the Gunting, Massad Ayoob, P'Kal, Civilian, Matriarch and JaniSong qualify as niche models.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

Notsurewhy
Member
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Notsurewhy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 am
The ARK was designed for stabbin' fools in the shower.

That's pretty "niche", right?
I knew That about the ARK, but your phrasing made me hear that line in Mr T's voice in my head. I legitimately laughed out loud. Well done.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Sumdumguy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 am
The ARK was designed for stabbin' fools in the shower.

That's pretty "niche", right?
I knew That about the ARK, but your phrasing made me hear that line in Mr T's voice in my head. I legitimately laughed out loud. Well done.
I exist for nothing more, sir.

Monty
Member
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: South of DC

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Monty » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:32 pm

One of my favorite Spydercos that gets little attention is the Warrior. The Al Mar Warrior and Rekat Hobbit are some of my favorite designs.

I recently by chance discovered the Kumo. Probably was common knowledge to many but I had never heard of it. I've been collecting custom RJ Martin fixed blades for two decades so I'm going to add one of these to the collection in 2020.

prndltech
Member
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby prndltech » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:53 pm

Chinook 4 :confused:
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Postby Larry_Mott » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:10 pm

Monty wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:32 pm
One of my favorite Spydercos that gets little attention is the Warrior. The Al Mar Warrior and Rekat Hobbit are some of my favorite designs.

I recently by chance discovered the Kumo. Probably was common knowledge to many but I had never heard of it. I've been collecting custom RJ Martin fixed blades for two decades so I'm going to add one of these to the collection in 2020.
The Kumo is a cool knife in all it's (relative) simplicity! I'm glad i got one
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albatross, andrewu750, bowmanh1, buckleys, buferoe, Dazen, DTPrime, Evil D, Johncjeff, Lumpy620, Mickiratt, MSN [Bot], Mushroom, Ruudr, tyd450, Wartstein, wrdwrght and 64 guests