Super Blue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to buy some more knives Super Blue?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 111

Cambertree

Re: Super Blue

Post by Cambertree »

Always up for more Super Blue.

From the suggestions above, the Caly 3.5 LW, UKPK, Urban, Police 4 LW and Delica Wharny would all be amazing.

Doing monometal blades would make another run a bit different from the previous Seki run.

I’ve really been enjoying carrying and using the Super Blue Delica again - inspired by the recent Delica love threads:

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice scales Cambertree! Are those aftermarket or pirated from another Delica?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'd like a Stretch 2. I prefer clad, but might buy monometal. Differentiation from the last run, as Cambertree suggests, could be good.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Is love to see a monometal Delica in Superblue. I'd also love to have a Para 3 in SB - even though I know that's far-fetched.
--Jeremy
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:01 pm
I dunno if I've said this before, but that's lovely
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:05 pm
Nice scales Cambertree! Are those aftermarket or pirated from another Delica?
Thanks Connor! They're custom scales - contoured 4k carbon fibre, made for me by Suingab at g10.lt in Lithuania.
Enactive wrote: I'd like a Stretch 2. I prefer clad, but might buy monometal. Differentiation from the last run, as Cambertree suggests, could be good.
I agree, I actually prefer the clad blades too - mainly for the extra corrosion resistance in the pivot area. But I figured a variant monometal run might tempt Sal more than reprising the same clad Takefu blades again.
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:49 pm
You may well have, Jon my friend, but I won't let it go to her head. :p :D

She is indeed a lovely knife to carry and use, and I certainly hope for more Superblue so those of you who missed out last time can enjoy this steel in a nice thin Seki blade.

Occasionally I get an urge to customise a favourite steel and model into 'my ultimate Spydie'. This Superblue Delica was my first experiment along that line. (And my contoured linen micarta handled HAP40 Stretch and Cruwear PM2 with contoured black canvas micarta scales were later experiments.)
Last edited by Cambertree on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:34 pm
Enactive wrote: I'd like a Stretch 2. I prefer clad, but might buy monometal. Differentiation from the last run, as Cambertree suggests, could be good.
I agree, I actually prefer the clad blades too - mainly for the extra corrosion resistance in the pivot area. But I figured a variant momometal run might tempt Sal more than reprising the same clad Takefu blades again.
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:49 pm
You may well have, Jon my friend, but I won't let it go to her head. :p :D

She is indeed a lovely knife to carry and use, and I certainly hope for more Superblue so those of you who missed out last time can enjoy this steel in a nice thin Seki blade.

Occasionally I get an urge to customise a favourite steel and model into 'my ultimate Spydie'. This Superblue Delica was my first experiment along that line. (And my contoured linen micarta handled HAP40 Stretch and Cruwear PM2 with contoured black canvas micarta scales were later experiments.)
I also value the added corrosion resistance in the pivot and lock area, and I like the aesthetic of the lamination lines. I'm also used to it from carving and woodworking tools. I dig it on my V-Toku 2.

Your micarta handled HAP40 Stretch is lovely-- maybe my favorite of your Spydies I've seen. I enjoyed seeing your hunting photos with that knife.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I'd buy literally any model in Super Blue.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I would LOVE to have it brought back to the Stretch family, the Stretch1 SuperBlue I have has the most amazing patina lines where the cladding meets the core -- to say nothing of the fact that (excuse the cheesy term) it really wants to be sharp, more than any other steel I have sharpened / used / owned... it's amazing stuff, I would likely buy 1 of each and every model made if another run gets made... and in a P4-LW, oh man I'm in for 2 at least.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm
I also value the added corrosion resistance in the pivot and lock area, and I like the aesthetic of the lamination lines. I'm also used to it from carving and woodworking tools. I dig it on my V-Toku 2.

Your micarta handled HAP40 Stretch is lovely-- maybe my favorite of your Spydies I've seen. I enjoyed seeing your hunting photos with that knife.
Thanks very much, Enactive. And yes, that's also a good point about the aesthetic quality of the lamination lines. The transition from the cladding to well patina'd Superblue coresteel just looks great, IMHO. I also dig the dark centreline that shows up on the spine with extended use.

I don't look for symmetry in the lamination lines, but some of the HAP40 run was a bit too heavily asymmetrical for my taste, with some examples having cladding running quite close to the edge on one side.

The Superblue run was pretty good on the centring of the coresteel, if I remember aright.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Police 4 LW would do the trick for me. (HAP40 would be also cool)
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
GJMcD

Post by GJMcD »

I just missed out on the last runs of SB, would love the chance to try some out.
GJMcD

Post by GJMcD »

I just missed out on the last batch, would love to get my hands on a SB folder.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Oh good points, yes please keep the cladding.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'd love an unclad super blue: Barong (ground back further for more edge length); Dialex Junior; or Centofante 3/Vesuvius.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

We need a Street Beat in superblue
--Jeremy
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

Wharncliffe Delica and Dragonfly. Puhleeease.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I have a Stretch too.
JMM

Post by JMM »

While I *LOVE* SuperBlue (see my previous post) -- I don't think it would lend itself well to a P4LW or Street Beat .... based on my experience it is able to take a keener edge than any steel I can sharpen, (like shave a single strand of hair 3-4 times) -- it's not tough steel, at all, it does keep it's working-sharp edge longer than say, V-Toku2 (which also is easy to get very sharp) -- but it is best suited to light-duty tasks, certainly lighter than I would use my P4/P4LW for..... at least, that's been my experience. Has anyone else had similar experiences with ASB? (here's mine with my fave Para3)

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I would definitely prefer to try some 52100. Leaf UKPK FRN, or wharnie Delica.
- best wishes, Jazz.