Something in the water

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Something in the water

Post by Evil D »

I haven't noticed much drama lately, but I also promised myself a few years ago that I'd avoid any thread that shows signs of drama so maybe that's why I don't see it.

I've been told that sometimes I can come off a little blunt/harsh. I hope people don't take me that way, it's hard to convey tone through text sometimes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Freediver wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:19 pm
I thought this thread was going to be about salt knives. I generally find this place full of intelligent, well mannered people. Those that don’t play well with others don’t seem to stick around too long.
Me, too! Or pitting corrosion being worse with different tap water.

I also appreciate the general civility and respect evidenced on this forum. Sal sets a good example and we try to emulate that.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:40 pm
This is the second time I have seen a thread like this in recent times.

I do not like it.

Enough with the control already if you don’t like it, don’t read it. I see some post and think ok yeah here we go again and refuse to respond.

This is the nature of forums grow a thicker skin. What I have seen over the years is people getting their ego’s too identified with a community in the shape of a forum and loose perspective.

Nicely nice is a loss of perspective even as is oh yeah I’ll show you what for!

Balance as best you can. Forum : in case the word is not clearly comprehended:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

If it is bad enough Taz will crush it. We all know this and Darby hit it the nail on the head. Simple. Nuff said.
I'm not sure which part you're referring to as "control". I was just trying to get people to think before making certain comments. That shouldn't be too much to hope for. I'm not asking for the forum to be policed or for anyone to be punished.

I have avoided those comments and threads, which is why I'm not around as much. I'm honestly confused about why this is upsetting?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:17 am
I haven't noticed much drama lately, but I also promised myself a few years ago that I'd avoid any thread that shows signs of drama so maybe that's why I don't see it.

I've been told that sometimes I can come off a little blunt/harsh. I hope people don't take me that way, it's hard to convey tone through text sometimes.
I've never taken you that way. I have often heard the same about myself, even when I'm having an enjoyable conversation with someone. In my head it seems good, but can be misinterpreted by others. The internet seems to amplify the issue, as you mentioned, tone can be hard to convey.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JMM wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:57 am
do they just call it "the Rule" in Golden?
This is my favorite joke I've read on the forum. Thanks JMM!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Albatross wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:40 pm
This is the second time I have seen a thread like this in recent times.

I do not like it.

Enough with the control already if you don’t like it, don’t read it. I see some post and think ok yeah here we go again and refuse to respond.

This is the nature of forums grow a thicker skin. What I have seen over the years is people getting their ego’s too identified with a community in the shape of a forum and loose perspective.

Nicely nice is a loss of perspective even as is oh yeah I’ll show you what for!

Balance as best you can. Forum : in case the word is not clearly comprehended:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

If it is bad enough Taz will crush it. We all know this and Darby hit it the nail on the head. Simple. Nuff said.
I'm not sure which part you're referring to as "control". I was just trying to get people to think before making certain comments. That shouldn't be too much to hope for. I'm not asking for the forum to be policed or for anyone to be punished.

I have avoided those comments and threads, which is why I'm not around as much. I'm honestly confused about why this is upsetting?
TBH, I’m simply not seeing all these threads here where people are being uncivil, or seeing it happening as a recurring problem here. I used to frequent some martial arts-related forums, and several years back when those types of forums were more popular than they are now, you would probably have been shocked at some of the behavior exhibited. The insults, the challenges between certain members or groups. Nothing I’ve seen on any knife-related forum even comes close, let alone on this forum, which is the least contentious discussion forum I’ve ever frequented (and I only frequent two others anymore now).

I agree wholeheartedly that we should all think before we post (I’m no exception), and I think that, for the most part, most who frequent this forum do that. Of course, as in real life, there are always those people we get along with, or share more in common with, than others. That’s life. If someone posts something that rubs you the wrong way, you can reply to it, or ignore it and realize that it’s not important in life. Unless you know them personally, it’s only words on a screen.

Jim
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I certainly haven't seen any trend or tendency. I remember some sparks flying briefly quite some time ago. No harm done.

A certain level of polite disagreement is not a bad thing and can lead to education and a better balance of opinions.

Personal attacks are always evil. Censorship is a bad thing too in most cases.

This forum though is really a bright spot among forums on the internet. One nice thing is a lack of overbearing know-it-alls (and there are plenty of people of here who do know a lot and could be overbearing). Well, that is just one of many nice things.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:17 am

Just to go on the record. I always take note of your posts and have never found you blunt/harsh.

If I would call you anything, it would be "level headed".