Manbug lockbar travel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pointy britches

Manbug lockbar travel

Post by Pointy britches »

Hello all!
I normally dont start new threads but I'm hoping you great people can help me out a bit.
A few months ago I picked up a ladybug salt HB and instantly fell in love with it. Great tip control, great snappy "action", and a monster cutter for its size. It also piqued my interest in the other :spyder: LBK's. So much so that I bought a new manbug in zdp-189.
Here's a shot of my little beauties

But much to my surprise upon receiving the man bug the "action" left more to be desired. That's when I looked a little closer and realized what was going on. As you can see in the picture below the lockbar on the ladybug needs to be disengaged quite a bit before the blade is clear of it to unlock. The same cannot be said about the manbug. A very slight depression of the manbug's lockbar will disengage the blade and there is not much spring tension on the closed knife compared to the ladybug.

Here is a shot of both with the lock disengaged.

So I guess what I'm asking is this, is this just how the manbug is due to the lockbar and pivot being further away from eachother in the wider handle?Or do I have one with a possible QC issue? Any help from fellow manbug owners would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Johncjeff

Re: Manbug lockbar travel

Post by Johncjeff »

I have the same two knives in my pocket right now. Both lock bars look like the ladybug salt in your photo. I’d post a pic, but I’m new here and struggling with the size of my files.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

My HAP40 Manbug is the same way. I don't have any Ladybugs handy, but it seems like they do require more manipulation to unlock. Either way, it doesn't bother me at all. The lock on the Manny is perfectly adequate
Pointy britches

Post by Pointy britches »

Robbob wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:40 pm
My HAP40 Manbug is the same way. I don't have any Ladybugs handy, but it seems like they do require more manipulation to unlock. Either way, it doesn't bother me at all. The lock on the Manny is perfectly adequate
Hey robbob, thanks for the reply!
That's all the confirmation I needed, there's no blade play and everything lines up perfectly. So I guess I'm just being too critical. Good to know! Thanks again!

VIVA LA :spyder: !