Can I run my Catcherman through the dishwasher?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JohnAPA

Can I run my Catcherman through the dishwasher?

Post by JohnAPA »

We were previously discussing the X Cut and how to get into a restaurant to be used as a steak knife. I've been thwarted trying to find a roll-up, sheath, case or other carry option. Then I considered my Catcherman (forum knife, toxic green with H1 and black blade). It seems like I could keep all the steak and juice off the handle and wash the blade easily in the Men's room. If it did get dirty could I run it through the dish washer our would a hand washing be more appropriate?

That toxic green handle may draw unwanted attention if I were to be walking around with the blade deployed.
steelcity16

Re: Can I run my Catcherman through the dishwasher?

Post by steelcity16 »

I've run all my Salts through the dishwasher with no I'll effects. And I have a Bosch dishwasher that gets very hot. I'd think the Catcherman should be ok, but I can't say with 100% certainty.

I'm with you on the folding steak knife thing too. The Pacific Salt has been ok in this role for me, but if they designed a new FFG LC200N PE Folding Steak Knife from the ground up it would be awesome.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think you could and be all right. But why do need to clean your Catcherman in the dishwasher :confused: ? I have a rule to where I hand clean every one of my knives ( even the cheap ones I bought at thrift stores).

If your dryer element got hot enough to warp the handle it would be too late then. Because I would be doubtful if GOLDEN has any replacement handles for that model.

Now I have had occasion to soak several of my food prep knives in the "Overnight Dawn Dish Soap". And then I will use a soft bristle toothbrush or something similar. For me personally I just don't like the idea of exposing my knives to high heat or those really caustic auto dishwashing detergents.

I sure would hate to see you damage or ruin a nice knife like the Catcherman. I have 6 of them and I wouldn't risk any of them. Good Luck :)
araneae

Post by araneae »

I thought this was a joke...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I don’t wash anything I value in the dishwasher.
Joey

Post by Joey »

You can. However you may not!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Freediver wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:04 pm
I don’t wash anything I value in the dishwasher.
I don't either. I wash all the good stuff by hand. It only takes a minute or two
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It isn’t the heat I worry about. I worry about things banging into each other and more importantly I worry about the detergent. Dish soap and dishwashing detergent are very different. One is just soap and one is a caustic chemical. You are asking something to clean your dirty dishes without actually touching them. How does that work? Strong chemicals.

I would say that you can but that I wouldn’t. I don’t ever put any knife in the dishwasher except butter knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:13 pm
It isn’t the heat I worry about. I worry about things banging into each other and more importantly I worry about the detergent. Dish soap and dishwashing detergent are very different. One is just soap and one is a caustic chemical. You are asking something to clean your dirty dishes without actually touching them. How does that work? Strong chemicals.

I would say that you can but that I wouldn’t. I don’t ever put any knife in the dishwasher except butter knives.
Those are all good points BFK :) Where I'm living at this time I could have had an automatic dishwasher of my choice. For a lot of the reasons you've cited I have really no use for one at all. The chemicals in that dishwasher detergent are very harsh. I clean all of my knives with one of the "DAWN" dishwashing soaps and carefully clean them by hand. The variant of DAWN I like the best is that one called " DAWN 4X, Platinum Overnight". I've never failed to do a really great cleaning job using DAWN dish soap. And I don't use Scotch-Brite pads or anything else with abrasive.

With the high heat and the caustic chemicals in dishwasher soap I can't see where it's worth risking the damage of a great knife.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your wisdom!!!!