Best Edge Performance Steel between these choices?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which is Best

K390
33%
Maxamet
23%
Rex 45
24%
Cruwear
20%

Total votes: 130

TomAiello

Re: Best Edge Performance Steel between these choices?

Post by TomAiello »

Maxamet for my small-ish folder EDC uses. Holds nice edge the longest and I haven't had any problems with edge stability.

I live in a desert where corrosion resistance isn't an issue, so differences in stain tolerance on these steels are negligible to me.

If I wanted a larger blade, I'd probably shift to K390. It has had better edge stability than Rex 45 in my use, although I admit I've also used it a lot more than Rex 45 because of the models that they're each available in.

Cruwear would come last for me. I don't feel like I need it's best properties in a small-ish EDC blade. And even as I move up to larger fixed blades I find that I prefer v4e/4v for smaller fixed blades (because it holds an edge better than Cruwear) and 3v for larger ones.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I voted K390, as it's the only one I've tried and I'm in love. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I own and have used all these steels except cruwear. I have a couple zwear knives which I understand is the same.
If that's the case, it's at the bottom of the list due to both rolling and chipping. I don't understand how this is possible, but happens just from banging it on a bamboo cutting board. For most normal cutting it's ok. It has the least edge retention and stability of the four by far.
It is more corrosion resistant to a point, but when it gets to that point, it seems to be greatly accelerated compared to the others.

Maxamet is cutting king on non destructive materials (rope, cardboard, wood, plastics, etc). But when contacting steels and other hard materials at angles, I have to be careful. It suffers no damage banging on a bamboo cutting board. It has the most stable edge up to a point. This would be my 3rd choice.

K390 cuts a little longer than rex45 in normal use, but is slightly less stable when contacting hard materials, edge prying, scraping, etc.

To me, there's not enough difference in sharpening to consider.

I'll take rex45 with k390 close behind, a little farther back is maxamet, and cruwear not even in the picture.
Last edited by jpm2 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

SUBJECTIVE ANECTOTAL OBSERVATION:
Of those you've listed, the only one with which I have experience is Maxamet. At first, it was disappointing because of the way is was prone to chipping. Eventually I learned to deal with it. And I've now I've acquired the stones required to bring it to an impressive degree of sharpness. It holds an edge well enough to be usable for a long time. I don't know how long, as I always break down and spiffy-up the edge before it gets really dull.

The there materials I've not used, but the K390 is most intriguing. To be fair, if Spyderco offered up a knife in a design that appeals to me (only a couple) and which used one of those steels, I'd probably be unable to resist buying one.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Me personally, I’m really keen on Cruwear. It’s such a balanced steel, and I love the way it sharpens & how easy it sharpens.

I haven’t used the others but I’ve seen lots of tests with them. I’d wager Maxamet probably has the best performance, followed by k390, Rex45 and Cruwear last.

That said, K390 is what I’m most interested in trying next, followed closely by Rex45.

I’d love to try Maxamet, but solely using a sharpmaker, I feel like I’m at a disadvantage (until Spyderco comes out with more diamond/cbn rods).
Last edited by Haunted House on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I voted Rex-45

All of these steels are extremely interesting. Maxamet was first to drop from the running as it always seems like more of a chippy ceramic to me.

I thought hard about Cruwear and would have chosen it with the idea of a steel that is easy to sharpen and might need to be sharpened more
than the others, but that was OK. But I am opting to go with steels that are more challenging to sharpen, but hold up longer.

So we are down to K390 and Rex45. I could easily go with either. But I have an emotional soft spot for Rex-45. The most factual reason I could give is the aggressive way Spyderco has been known to heat treat it. But honestly I am letting my opinion be swayed by how exotic it is and how seldom it has been used. I want to see more of it! I really don't know how Rex45 would come out versus K390 in various "contests".
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For all intent and purposes maybe I shouldn't even enter into this discussion,. Because I haven't yet owned a knife with any of the 4 that are listed. But I did get to test drive a folder made with K390 and I was sort of impressed with my limited uses of it. My current favorite EDC is my Spyderco M390 Military model and the reason I mention it is because that is the closest steel I can compare any of those aforementioned blade steels to.

The more I try out Bohler-Uddeholm steels the more I like them. Oh sure I have my favorites of Crucible and Carpenter but I'm really leaning to Bohler blade steels just because of the great overall performance I've had with their M390. It sounds to me like K390 would be an ideal blade steel for a rough, hard use fixed blade. But I will at some point try EDCing a K390 when I get around to it. I've heard great things about Maxamet but one friend tells me it's bit on the brittle side.

So for me I'm at a point where I'm kind of focusing on certain steel producers and their respective track records. And Bohler sure has gotten my attention.
blues

Post by blues »

If you haven't any experience with using the specific steels in Shawn's poll, you really shouldn't be posting or voting in this thread.
- Retired from the chase -
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

blues wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:26 am
If you haven't any experience with using the specific steels in Shawn's poll, you really shouldn't be posting or voting in this thread.
Such is my thinking. I just got my first Maxamet last week and haven’t used my Rex45 and Cruwear enough to compare. All I know is I love K390. I hardly qualify for this poll’s purpose...

EDIT: Didn’t vote.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Tom Shared his opinion here
He does alot of testing. I asked him to share his personal opinion in his experience. Again, no wrong answers. Fun to hear what folks think.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I've shared a ton already. It's time to hear other people's thoughts. :D

bigboned wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:21 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:29 pm
Which of these with production Geometry and HT is best in your opinion for you and why?

No wrong answers, no giving anyone a hard time about their opinion. Speak freely

Share, give your 2¢ about how you feel between these choices.

No other steels or options, just these as they are with what you can get from Spyderco.

Share your personal heart felt opinions

-Shawn, BBB
what are your opinions Shawn?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Well I thought K390 was pulling ahead but Rex 45 has taken the lead. Very exciting race.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
tomhosangoutdoors

Post by tomhosangoutdoors »

Super interesting seeing everyone's opinions! I figured it would vary greatly depending on your uses, personal tastes, and sharpening equipment.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Larrin wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:05 pm
Well I thought K390 was pulling ahead but Rex 45 has taken the lead. Very exciting race.
Indeed!

I wonder if we see any influence of availability/ lack thereof on desireability?

Supersteel is so passe, these are hypersteels! :rolleyes: :p :D I jest!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

blues wrote:
Oh I beg your pardon>> what Spyderco Forum Rules did I violate :confused: ? And I do believe that the comment I made had substance to it and did relate to the subject matter. Good Grief!! :confused:
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 pm
blues wrote:
Oh I beg your pardon>> what Spyderco Forum Rules did I violate :confused: ? And I do believe that the comment I made had substance to it and did relate to the subject matter. Good Grief!! :confused:
(In my best imitation of Bloke) :D

Blues is probably just thinking you better:
blues

Post by blues »

^^^^^That's it, 100%

:D
blues

Post by blues »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 pm
blues wrote:
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. It came out a little more brusque than intended.

I just think that if we all talk about all the steels we like, that aren't the steels that Shawn asked us to evaluate based upon our experience, then the thread becomes an exercise in futility.

Mea culpa. You don't need to respect my authoritah, and again, apologies.

For the record, I didn't vote. I don't have enough time with the steels. Out.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

It's without a doubt Maxamet for me. That edge aggression, even at finer grit finishings it mind-blowing. I just can't get over the way it bites in to things that lesser steels slide off of. It also surprisingly easy to sharpen. I was easily able to sharpen it on a lansky 600 grit diamond stones. It also touches up beautifully on a Spyderco UF rod. It's also plenty tough enough for any EDC cutting tasks I throw at it. Lastly, I've also been shocked by the corrosion resistance. I never oil it (just wipe it dry) and it hasn't developed any rust despite being used for food prep. I'm attributing this to the high-polish stonewash finish the new batch of PM2s are shipping with.

K390 is also good but doesn't seem to have as much aggression as Maxamet.

Rex 45 has been the least impressive so far. When sharpened to 600 grit, the edge is reasonably aggressive, but loses most of the bite very quickly. That said, I haven't used it as much as the above to so I'll be revisiting it to see if I can get any better results.

Haven't had any experience with Cruwear, but I'll substitute a similar steel - 4V. I've been quite pleased with the toughness and ability to hold an aggressive edge. It's not on the same level of aggression as Maxamet or K390, but nevertheless impressive.

As you might be able to tell I'm just smitten with the edge character or Maxamet, so now I just can't wait to get knives in similar ultra-high carbide steels like rex121 and 15v.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Great list, I voted Rex45, I have the most use time with it, and consequently the most sharpening time, my ranking would be...
1. Rex45
2. Cruwear
3. K390
4. Maxamet

...I must confess that while I do have a Maxamet rig, I have spent VERY little time with it, using or sharpening -- I wasn't really impressed or excited after carrying it as my EDC for a week immediately following purchasing it, and it's been sitting and waiting patiently ever since.

As of late I have been spending the majority of my 'new-steel' time to 4V, and so far I am very impressed with it, were this my top 4 current favourite steels list I would probably rank as such...
1. Rex45
2. 4V
3. Cruwear
4. K390

Anyhow, I can tear through a stupid ammount of cat3/5/6 cable, occasionally fiber-optic cable, ground wires (yeesh), zip ties, mule-tape, cardboard, blah blah -- I've found the best edge performance & stability in Rex45, and the easiest time getting back to scary after some real use/abuse... I am really wanting to get a Shaman or Manix2 in 4V so I can get some real hard time in, the Para3 I have is just not the ideal hard use platform for me... although I am getting a Tuff (3V) in a couple weeks and I'm super excited to see how that stands up...

Cheers,

JMM