Sal, how about a Lil' Straight Spine Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Sal, how about a Lil' Straight Spine Stretch?

Post by kennethsime »

I was always a 3.5" blade kinda guy. That is, until I started carrying around the Para 3. Not only is it quick to deploy, big enough to handle nearly any cutting task, but it's relatively discrete. The few people who comment on it say "man that's a sweet little knife!" instead of "Man that's a big knife!"

The Stretch was my first Spyderco, and the new Straight Spine Stretch is a **** of a knife. I actually received it 8 years to the day after my 1st Stretch, now long-lost, and it's reminding me how much I love all the little things that you put into a knife. The lightweight handles mean I can carry it anywhere. The FFG blade is a mean slicer. The 14mm round hole is more comfortable for my thumb compared to say the Endura or Delica. The handle practically melts into my hand.

I'd love a Straight Spine Stretch, shrunk down to a 3" blade. In addition to being legal in more jurisdictions, I think it'd be a more convenient EDC for many people.

While we're dreaming, I wouldn''t mind a 3" Dragonfly, either. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Re: Sal, how about a Lil' Straight Spine Stretch?

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:22 am

I'd love a Straight Spine Stretch, shrunk down to a 3" blade. In addition to being legal in more jurisdictions, I think it'd be a more convenient EDC for many people.

I'd totally grant you a Lil' Stretch, and the following is just an honest question, not a critique of your proposal:

I of course assume you'd not only want a shorter blade, but also a shorter handle: Do you think the very refined Stretch ergos would work or could be transferred to a shrunken design? I personally doubt it..

Or is your focus more on the slicey blade with the rather unique long totally straight section in the edge before the belly starts towards the tip?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Also, not to shoot down your idea or sidetrack it, but do you have or have you tried a Native 5?

Native 5 doesn't have a palm swell as proportionally big as the Stretch, nor the thumb ramp...

(Edited to add) With a ground down spine a leaf bladed UKPK is almost a slipjoint version of your request.
Last edited by Enactive on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’d like one very much. I like the blade shape and nice, curved lines of the Stretch straight spine, but I use 3” knives.

Just curious, why does everyone suggest other knives when someone asks about a certain knife? For example, a Native is not a Stretch. Far from it. Completely different shape. Same thing happened when I started the Delica wharnie thread. Sorry, just something that bugs me. I know it’s a conversation.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:05 am
I’d like one very much. I like the blade shape and nice, curved lines of the Stretch straight spine, but I use 3” knives.

Just curious, why does everyone suggest other knives when someone asks about a certain knife? For example, a Native is not a Stretch. Far from it. Completely different shape. Same thing happened when I started the Delica wharnie thread. Sorry, just something that bugs me. I know it’s a conversation.
? I didn't!
Just asked, if a Stretch really could be scaled down and still keep the very refined ergos... I doubt it, but it still could be done perhaps.
No suggestion of another knife ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

How about....
Straight spine 3" stretch without a finger choil! :D
Usable edge to the max
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:55 am
How about....
Usable edge to the max

BINGO!! :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

pantagana23 wrote:
How about....
Usable edge to the max
Spyderco has almost always had a ricasso of some sort on their lockbacks. This is because the blade has a kick to prevent it from closing too far and that kick works best when it hits the lock bar pivot pin. The Centofante3 and 4 are the only exceptions I know of and those were made that way at the request of Centofante.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:05 am

I think it's a fairly innocent gesture coming from how much people like certain models. I've been guilty of it myself. Realistically the Caly 3 is very close to what a 3 inch Stretch would be, so why not recommend it?

Anyway, I'm way more interested in the Stretch XL.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:46 am
kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:22 am

I'd totally grant you a Lil' Stretch, and the following is just an honest question, not a critique of your proposal:

I of course assume you'd not only want a shorter blade, but also a shorter handle: Do you think the very refined Stretch ergos would work or could be transferred to a shrunken design? I personally doubt it..

Or is your focus more on the slicey blade with the rather unique long totally straight section in the edge before the belly starts towards the tip?

I think the design would scale down very well. The UKPK is already quite similar to a "Lil Stretch". There are some good comparison pics of the Stretch and UKPK here:

viewtopic.php?t=41965

(Although those pics compare the Stretch 1 and original G10 UKPK -- not the current version of either knife.)

I carry a drop-point UKPK quite a lot because it's the closest there is to a "Lil Stretch". But I'd rather have an actual "Lil Stretch". However, I don't want the straight spine version, I want the drop-point version.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:11 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
How about....
Usable edge to the max
Spyderco has almost always had a ricasso of some sort on their lockbacks. This is because the blade has a kick to prevent it from closing too far and that kick works best when it hits the lock bar pivot pin. The Centofante3 and 4 are the only exceptions I know of and those were made that way at the request of Centofante.
So it can be done, we know that much.
Handle can be designed in a way that it hides the kick in open position.
I see in another thread that we have a growing number of people wishing a new backlock with 1:1 blade to edge ratio.
Maybe it will happen again someday, or perhaps Centofante gets v2 with FFG and clip on both sides
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:39 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
pantagana23 wrote:
How about....
Usable edge to the max
I see in another thread that we have a growing number of people wishing a new backlock with 1:1 blade to edge ratio.
Maybe it will happen again someday, or perhaps Centofante gets v2 with FFG and clip on both sides
And a kick is not needed if there is an internal stop pin I think (like the Chaparral backlock has)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
pantagana23 wrote:

Right. See THIS poll I started once for example (link below) ;)
viewtopic.php?t=84657
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:47 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
pantagana23 wrote:
And a kick is not needed if there is an internal stop pin I think (like the Chaparral backlock has)

Added to my post above: For the internal stop pin, see HERE: viewtopic.php?t=84657#p1353448
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

pantagana23 wrote:
How about....
Usable edge to the max
Lol, this is exactly what I don't want. But why not both? :-)

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm
I think it's a fairly innocent gesture coming from how much people like certain models. I've been guilty of it myself. Realistically the Caly 3 is very close to what a 3 inch Stretch would be, so why not recommend it?

Anyway, I'm way more interested in the Stretch XL.
I have handled the Caly, and I do like it a lot. I think the new Straight Spine stretch with the Para-style blade though takes the cake for me.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 am
Also, not to shoot down your idea or sidetrack it, but do you have or have you tried a Native 5?

Native 5 doesn't have a palm swell as proportionally big as the Stretch, nor the thumb ramp...

(Edited to add) With a ground down spine a leaf bladed UKPK is almost a slipjoint version of your request.
That for the recs! I haven't tried a Native 5, but it's on my list. Probably a G-10 model. I also haven't tried the UKPK, but would like to at some point. I think a Dragonfly is next on my list.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:46 am

I think Sal and Eric can do anything they put their mind to. :-)

My thought was that they'd probably make some modifications, just like they did when shrinking the Para 2 down to the Para 3, or Native down to the Lil' Native. I bet the pommel would shrinks a bit, for example.

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:20 pm
Enactive wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 am

That for the recs! I haven't tried a Native 5, but it's on my list. Probably a G-10 model. I also haven't tried the UKPK, but would like to at some point. I think a Dragonfly is next on my list.
Yeah man.

Evil D is right, I do like the Native 5 quite a bit. I have it in two of my fave steels, Cruwear and LC200N. I like the Shaman and Chief too. I like the drop point Stretch 2 so much I haven't talked myself into the straight spine variant. I am so ready for a K390 Stretch tho. I really enjoy V-Toku 2.

The Stretch 2 and Native 5 Are indeed different, but two favorites. I do prefer the Golden mid backlock to Seki built.

For a smaller one I'd still want the 5050 choil and drop point. The Stretch is my favorite Spydie with a blade hump, which i prefer with the curves of the drop point.

I am most interested in a K390 XL Stretch. Maybe with a powelock (is that Moki or Sakai?) Or a stop pin engineered in, to get rid of lock rock and handle the extra leverage of the long blade! Sorry, meandered a little off topic.