What would it take to get a Forum Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: What would it take to get a Forum Knife?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Another vote for a UKPK variant here! Seems like a pretty good decision in terms of "lock type" and blade length that would work for everyone, including our overseas members.

I think anybody against a UKPK that has never handled one, should give one a try...bet you change your mind! The needing a lock is pretty petty. SAK's have been around FOREVER without locks and still sell like crazy to this day. I feel like a lot of people gravitate towards a knife with a particular lock for the fidget factor instead of the design of the knife itself, which the UKPK design is incredible :)
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I think either the Lil Native CL or UKPK with micarta would be fantastic, preferably burgundy, it just looks so classy! I don’t care what steel everyone decides on because I know it would be awesome.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

A different Manix 2 would be great...if they can do it in Taichung, a Sage 5 LW would be really cool.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ribstabshear,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
attila

Post by attila »

I'd like to see one of these:
Lil'Native compression lock, Chaparral LW, Jazzlica, or Manix 2 in some unique configuration.

I could be convinced about a Manix 2 backlock as well.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Johncjeff

Post by Johncjeff »

Forgive me if it’s been mentioned already, but what has been the typical price range of the forum knives in the past. Thanks
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If we are talking Golden, how about a Military in K390? Dark/navy blue G10?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I like the chappy idea. Stonewashed blade like my 2014 manix. Wonder if you could do something clever under some raffir Noble and make the forum words in/under the scales. I'd prefer something other than s90v, k390 or 20cv wouldn't be bad not a deal breaker. I had every intention of buying the last one but I was between jobs
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

It would be most realistic i.e. achievable, to restrict choices to a Golden made model in a USA made steel, and no really exotic features.

Resurrecting a discontinued model might also be too big an ask.

We’ve had N5, N5 lw, & PM2 in recent history.

Personally, I think all the Golden models are excellent, but would prefer not to duplicate nor get too spendy, so ...

Lil Native Slipit
Lil Native
UKPK
Native Chief
Para 3

... would all get my vote. Etched forum names would be costly, as would “number of forum posts” but would be fun!
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Another vote for the UKPK!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 pm
PStone wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:42 pm
Can I suggest the possibility/option of having our forum names etched into the blades? Like happened with the Forum Bugs? To me this would make it even more cool and personal. I think even your join date added too could be over the top cool.
Sweet suggestion. Brown G10 drop point UKPK in K390 or Cruwear? Broken record now.
I think so. I just hope others will think so too! I know there are different opinions about writing on blades. Plus the added cost.
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

How about a Para 3 with a MOP inlayed logo like the Military?
Higher

Post by Higher »

Hi everybody. Sorry to interfere.
I will offer Endura wharncliffe SpyderEdge. Endura - this classic for all time. Wharncliffe is non-standard.
This knife will not be expensive.

Thanks
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The UKPK is affordable and legal for the most people on this forum. Since 2020 will not come around again this is a huge consideration. I like the Lil Native as a pocket knife but I am willing to put my own real desire aside so others can participate.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The small fixed blade idea has a lot of appeal. I often wish for a small fixed blade in 52100 -- and I think the Bow River is a great design. So how about the Bow River done in 52100? I understand that the Bow River is made in China, but could not such a thing as I suggest be made in Golden? And of course there are other options for small fixed blades -- even a mule comeback in 52100?
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:17 pm
It would be most realistic i.e. achievable, to restrict choices to a Golden made model in a USA made steel, and no really exotic features.

Resurrecting a discontinued model might also be too big an ask.

We’ve had N5, N5 lw, & PM2 in recent history.

Personally, I think all the Golden models are excellent, but would prefer not to duplicate nor get too spendy, so ...

Lil Native Slipit
Lil Native
UKPK
Native Chief
Para 3

... would all get my vote. Etched forum names would be costly, as would “number of forum posts” but would be fun!
this OR Bow river ( i was only joking with the earlier darn dao suggestion!)
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

interested...
sok

Post by sok »

I just read this thread from the beginning and with no real thoughts on what I would want going in. I came out the end thinking that the UKPK would be a good choice. To tell you the truth, I wasn’t sure what it was until I searched for it. Makes sense to me.

A UKPK with burgundy micarta would be sweet. I would even be happy with the standard BD1N blade steel and let the handle be the feature that separates it from the stock model. If money was no object, then K390 or Maxamet would be preferred.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Big fan of the UKPK for a forum knife because it means most people (who want one) can own one without having to worry about legal restrictions. It's also a fantastic knife that has completely blown me away since I picked one up a while back.

Micarta with a "premium" steel would be phenomenal imo.
JMM

Post by JMM »

If we're throwing out wish-list ideas & configurations, how about... Manix2, in a steel not seen in the Manix2 platform previously, with new or unusual G10 scale colour & texture which gets voted on... perhaps 4V, Rex45, or K390 -- after all, my 3 favourite steels don't exist in my favourite knife.... :(