ZDP-189 vs M4 for rainy west coast living?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

ZDP-189 vs M4 for rainy west coast living?

Post by TheGiant80 »

Hello Spyderfiends! I'm planning on shipping out to the Canadian west coast in the next year or so, and I want to bring an EDC blade with me that has great edge retention so I won't need to constantly touch-up the thing. The environment out there is extreme damp and rainy most of the year. I'm a fan of patina, but I don't want to worry too much about rust. I take care of my gear, so whatever knife I choose will get wiped down and maintained but not babied.

I've already got a GB2 (M4), and I'm looking at an Endura in ZDP-189. I'm curious which blade of the two you guys would select. If I decide on the E4, I'll sell the GB2. I don't want to bring two knives with me. Also, my wife has a series of Salt knives, so I'm sorted when I actually interact with the ocean. As for my uses, it'll be everything from opening packages to basic camping duties. Nothing too extreme though..
Naperville

Re: ZDP-189 vs M4 for rainy west coast living?

Post by Naperville »

I'm certainly no steel expert so YMMV.

I'd get something in S110V or LC200N. ZDP-189 and M4 are not stainless. of the two ZDP-189 might do better.

No matter what you buy, dry them off after each use and you may be fine.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m with Naperville.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Between those 2, I would get m4. M4 will patina but zdp tends to pit without ever forming a patina. I can live with stains but the pitting bothers me.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

I'm near Seattle, likely similar to your situation. I've edc'd m4, cruwear, k390 without problem. It's not humid here, just rainy. If it gets wet enough to soak my pants I put my knife in my rain jacket. If you oil your blade you should be fine with whatever.

You may want a stainless knife if you are going to be camping/hiking in the winter though.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Get a bentobox m390 pm2 or Manix m390. Those batches of M390 are near 62 HRC and have excellent edge retention. High wear resistance, decent toughness, and stellar corrosion resistance. I can also highly recommend the 20CV Ritter RSK.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

PS, I own an E4 in ZDP as well as GB1 and PM2 in M4 and while fantastic knives would not be my first choice in a wet climate. If you insist on a tool steel ish (non-stainless) choice with high wear resistance then Maxamet is what I'd recommend.

Post by 013 »

ZDP-189 VS. M4
I'd go with the M4 because I find the performance better among the two.
I've been using Break Free Collector Gun Wipes to tame the M4. I carry 1 wipe inside of a keychain pill bottle & reapply on the go. I've been using the same 1 wipe since I purchased them. At this rate, the container of wipes should last a lifetime and then some.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I live in the Seattle area and haven’t had to much trouble with my M4 knives. They go on the boat with me sometimes and haven’t had much of a problem. I’d be a little more skeptical of ZDP..
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would get the Endura Salt version...the Pacific Salt with serrated edge. That will hold a long lasting edge and when it does need touching up it’s easy. Black or yellow.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
remnar

Post by remnar »

I live in Western Washington so I've seen my share of damp rainy days. I've carried both M4 and zdp-189 and they are two of my favorite steels. Both can show signs of corrosion, as described by some of the previous posters, but I've never seen it as a major problem. It only becomes a problem if you insist that your knives always look pristine or if your not willing to put in a little extra maintenance to address corrosion issues if they do arise. I say, just pick your favorite steel and I can't tell you what that is.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Like others have said, the west coast is rainy, not humid. In the Deep South, you have to worry about this stuff a lot more. I'm in California, which is much drier, but in either case I wouldn't worry too much as long as you can take an extra second to wipe your knife blade dry when you use it on anything wet.

I've had a lot of ZDP-189 in the past, and have been using K390 for about two months, which is a tool steel not unlike M4. Zero issues with corrosion either way. For what it's worth, ZDP-189 holds a "fine edge" for quite some time; I've heard M4 holds a "working edge" for quite some time. ZDP may take a bit longer to sharpen.

Between the two folders you've asked about, I'd be much more concerned with the style and weight of the knife. The Endura is about an oz lighter, and the handle may feel "cheaper" if you're not used to FRN handles. The GB is also about $50 more expensive than the Endura at Knife Center.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

If you are stuck on the ZDP or M4 I would go with M4. Not as "chippy," holds it's edge well, and in my experience easier to maintain. Like others, I would suggest one of stainless steels or LC.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Living in Oregon where it is both wet & humid, and having both of those steels I would say pick another steel... but between the two, ZDP-189, and if you must have m4, go DLC.... honestly the only three steels I have that I've ever really observed moisture related issues with are k390, rex45, 52100, all of those I have acid-washed the blades (brass-finished) and have never had an issue since. I have been on a cruwear & 4v tear lately and both of those are awesome for the lovely Pacific Northwest... at least, in my experience... ;-)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:56 am
Hello Spyderfiends! I'm planning on shipping out to the Canadian west coast in the next year or so, and I want to bring an EDC blade with me that has great edge retention so I won't need to constantly touch-up the thing.
Welcome to the Best Coast! (long-time BC Lower Mainland resident here)

I EDC'ed a Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189 for a couple of years & had no problems with corrosion. It just takes some common sense maintenance: wipe your blade dry if it gets wet and keep it oiled & lubricated if you're putting it away for an extended period of time. I never used it during any outdoors activities that would mean coming into contact with saltwater, though... I have a Dragonfly 2 Salt in H-1 for that.

That said, if you want a blade with similar edge retention to ZDP-189 but with radically better corrosion resistance, I suggest getting something in CPM-S110V or M390, which are two of the most stainless blade steels outside of H-1 and LC200N.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I live where it is very rainy and I barely have patina developing on my GB2 with m4. Unless you now it is a very corrosive environment than some light maintenance should suffice. I only had slight blackening and rust form when I forgot to wipe of lime juice and left it over night.
/ David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

M4 all day long, if those are your only choices.

Otherwise, LC200N is what you want. More specifically, the Caribbean. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I'd sell me your GB2 and buy an LC200N knife.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. So it looks like the consensus is split on M4 vs ZDP, with a slight advantage to M4. Also, it appears I should be a bit more sensible and look at stainless options like LC200N and M390. Lots to think about. I just want all the knives!
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

I hiked with a Cruwear PM2 in the rain. The next day there was a drop of corrosion. I wiped it off and good to go.
Maybe check out a Caribbean?