Spyderco Custom Shop

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hardbawl

Spyderco Custom Shop

Post by Hardbawl »

Has Spyderco ever considered using a Custom Shop as a profit center? Many companies that I deal with have Custom Shops. Look at Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Wilson Combat, and Springfield Armory. They all have Custom Shops that serve customers that need that little something special.

For example, as a left handed customer I would love to be able to order a left handed PM2 in Cruwear with scales that weren't black. I would be willing to pay for it. How many of you have a fondness for a knife, but would just love to have a different steel or handle treatment. Perhaps you would like to have a carbon steel that was coated to be rust resistant, or your name engraved on the knife.

This could be a way to get a unique Spyderco that was truly yours and at the same time become a profit center for Spyderco. It certainly would create a unique relationship in the industry. What are your thoughts?
Hopweaver

Re: Spyderco Custom Shop

Post by Hopweaver »

This is a great idea. Hopefully the ROI is there for Spyderco to start such an operation. In the meantime, there are lots of people doing aftermarket customs. One that I am familiar with is Shepard Custom Creations. Here is the instagram link https://www.instagram.com/shepardcc/
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
JMM

Post by JMM »

Also, I know that Knives Plus does some great work, I have one of their rigs and it is very well done...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

This idea of a custom shop has come up many times here before. I agree it would be a neat idea but Spyderco has made it clear that they are not interested in pursuing it.
Last edited by The Meat man on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Hardbawl wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:38 pm
They all have Custom Shops that serve customers that need WANT little something special.

Left handed PM2 in Cruwear with scales that weren't black...... carbon steel that was coated to be rust resistant, or your name engraved on the knife.
Need is word that should be used very rarely in the same sencente with custom shop 😂😂😂

I once heard a opinion that if company needs a custom shop, they are not making very quality products...take it with a grain of salt.

If you have to make a special blade for just one knife, the price would be insanely high. It's not like Spyderco has a tons of different blades made in different steels laying around and just waiting for assembly.
There are people that could make new blade for a folder, and the price I saw was like 3xthe price of a knife itself.

And like if the shop is going to be only like pick the handle scale and you are done, then why bother.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I remember a discussion on this in the past and I love the idea. Really want a custom with a warranty
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I think it would really hurt the exclusives and sprints. Would people flock to (and sell out in minutes) the next Blade HQ sprint with M4 and jade when people know they can just buy the same knife in M4 with any other scale color directly from Spyderco? It would tank that market. But the benefit is that scalpers would no longer existent.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:15 pm
I think it would really hurt the exclusives and sprints. Would people flock to (and sell out in minutes) the next Blade HQ sprint with M4 and jade when people know they can just buy the same knife in M4 with any other scale color directly from Spyderco? It would tank that market. But the benefit is that scalpers would no longer existent.
The price of a custom shop knife might be high enough that it wouldn't compete with exclusives and sprints.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Hardbawl wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:38 pm
Has Spyderco ever considered using a Custom Shop as a profit center? Many companies that I deal with have Custom Shops. Look at Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Wilson Combat, and Springfield Armory. They all have Custom Shops that serve customers that need that little something special.

For example, as a left handed customer I would love to be able to order a left handed PM2 in Cruwear with scales that weren't black. I would be willing to pay for it. How many of you have a fondness for a knife, but would just love to have a different steel or handle treatment. Perhaps you would like to have a carbon steel that was coated to be rust resistant, or your name engraved on the knife.

This could be a way to get a unique Spyderco that was truly yours and at the same time become a profit center for Spyderco. It certainly would create a unique relationship in the industry. What are your thoughts?
A great many people, new members and old, have discussed this over the years, every year. I am one. I am with you on this. However, Sal Glesser said that Golden is too small to do this currently and it would be costly for them. We can hope, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Land a few states over is much cheaper and closer to me, they should consider expanding :)
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

They could do something like Protech, where they take a $250 knife and have it engraved, add inlays etc etc and sell it for $10,000. There might be some profit margin there :p
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Love the idea but not likely to happen. Personally I would pay a premium for knives built to my specifications. Heck I would pay extra just to get some models made in SE that aren't currently offered.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

They could do it easily enough. All they would have to do is stop developing new models and stop improving current models so the people currently doing that unimportant work could make your customs instead of prototypes. That doesn't sound like a very good long term business plan to me, but if it makes a couple dozen people happy I'm sure it would be worth it.
benben

Post by benben »

It's been mentioned here several times before, by me more than once!

My suggestion was to take just 3 or 4 Golden models (Manix, Native, PM2, PM3, etc.) and offer maybe two different steels (a SS and a tool steel) and 3 or 4 different colors of G-10, and add an additional $25 / $35 dollars for getting something of your choice. I'd definitely pay extra for a Green handled G-10 Manix with Cru-wear, M4, 3V, 4V, or whatever the flavor of that month happens to be?

I want to say that sounds doable, but I'm not Sal and don't know the ins and outs of running his business........

Post by 013 »

One benefit to this idea would be the availability, unlike the sprints & exclusives that do not let people get a chance to own a knife that they really want.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
Sapphiresky83

Post by Sapphiresky83 »

Hey all, new to the forum and new to the PM2 owners club.
My left handed version was delivered yesterday.

Love this knife 99%....the 1% I don't love are those stock G10 scales on the left handed version version.
These are the same type and color of G10 scales that came on my zt0350's and I don't like way they look and feel and so I replaced those as well.

Also, no option for a black blade which means if I want one I would have to swap with a standard model....
Anyway. I was going to start a thread asking this very question but I know online board etiquette and ran a search first which brought me here.

Just looking to see if anyone has had success stories with replacing the scales on the left handed version and if so, how did they turn out? Were some of the vendors here utilized? I am possibly looking to place an order myself and want to make an informed purchase decision.

I also have a Manix 2 XL that I may want to customize as well.

Thanks!
-J
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sapphiresky,

Welcome to our forum.

The possibility of a custom shop would be very challenging for us to do. As Jack ( Yablonowitz ) said, it would pull to much from other areas. We licese a few custom makers to use our trademarks. I think that would be the best way to get a custom Spyderco, but I'm sure it would be rather expensive.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sapphiresky83 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:04 pm
Hey all, new to the forum and new to the PM2 owners club.
My left handed version was delivered yesterday.

Love this knife 99%....the 1% I don't love are those stock G10 scales on the left handed version version.
These are the same type and color of G10 scales that came on my zt0350's and I don't like way they look and feel and so I replaced those as well.

Also, no option for a black blade which means if I want one I would have to swap with a standard model....
Anyway. I was going to start a thread asking this very question but I know online board etiquette and ran a search first which brought me here.

Just looking to see if anyone has had success stories with replacing the scales on the left handed version and if so, how did they turn out? Were some of the vendors here utilized? I am possibly looking to place an order myself and want to make an informed purchase decision.

I also have a Manix 2 XL that I may want to customize as well.

Thanks!
-J

This thread might be helpfull: viewtopic.php?t=86297
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

A custom shop would be great, but as Connor mentioned, cost would be an issue for some. Benchmade has a custom shop that adds a hefty charge for having it your way. Fortunately, most of the models people would want in a custom shop, are already getting nearly every configuration imaginable, through sprints, exclusives, and places like Knives Plus.

If anyone here has not looked at Knives Plus, do yourself a favor and check out their customized Spydercos. Last year, I bought a cool acid stonewashed Hap40 Wharncliffe Delica from them. The dye jobs they do on G10 and FRN should offer something for everyone. Lastly, the modified blades they do, look very useful, and would certainly not be the same as everyone else's.