Best Pocket Knives Of This Year

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Services in Canada?

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm from Europe, so no idea about sharpening services in Canada, but wanted to bump your question so people who might have missed it can see it now and maybe help you out... fellow forum members ?! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

https://houseofknives.ca/sharpening/

Not sure how professional the sharpening service is, but there it is. These guys used to have a store out here in Ontario back in the day, but now they are just out your way. I just use a sharpmaker myself.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'd advise just learning how to use the Sharpmaker. I don't recommend the Edge Pro, it seemed like a poor design to me while I was using it. If it were my money I would get the KME, but I just use the SM and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Good luck!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

KingRat wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am

Not sure how professional the sharpening service is, but there it is. These guys used to have a store out here in Ontario back in the day, but now they are just out your way. I just use a sharpmaker myself.

Definitely don’t take any knife you care about to house of knives for sharpening. They will destroy it. I’ve seen it happen so many times there.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

kangnguyen wrote:
Virtually all the youtube pros recommend the Sharpmaker for maintenance between their sharpenings and I have one, but I would like to get a nice job on my knives that will last a long time with just a little home care every now and then. As my collection is rather small (Delica, PM2, Manix 2 s110v) this seems like the more economical option when compared to buying, say, an edge pro or KME or something.
I can't help you with finding a professional knife sharpener in the Vancouver area who specializes in premium folding knives... I've lived here for almost 20 years and have yet to find one. I do my sharpening & re-profiling myself (I have a progression of diamond plates for repairing/reprofiling & a Sharpmaker with CBN, medium, fine, and ultra fine rods for touch-ups & refining my edges).

That said, at least with your Delica, you should be able to sharpen it with your Sharpmaker using the standard touch-up technique (it just takes longer because you're taking off more material than usual). VG-10 isn't super hard to sharpen even with just the brown medium rods, though it might take a while & it might be a pain on your wrist trying to maintain the vertical downward pass consistently.

If you're confident with your freehand sharpening skills, I suggest just laying the rods flat on the grooves in the bottom of the Sharpmaker case & using it like you would a benchstone (I find I put less strain on my wrist this way). An additional advantage to doing it this way is you're not stuck with the 20° or 15° angles built into the Sharpmaker system, so you can go crazy-steep with a 12° angle like I've seen some guys on YouTube do (although for me, 15° is probably the steepest I would go with a "user" knife). If you invest in CBN or diamond rods for your Sharpmaker, you can do the same thing with your PM2 & Manix 2, although even with that, it will take considerably more time.

In any case, good luck with however you decide to proceed!
northvanbamboo

Post by northvanbamboo »

Hey kangnguyen,

there is a place called sharpening house close to cambie(511 W 7th Ave).

Shawn is using belts, so he can set a good edge for you to buff off and polish, this might be the place you were looking for :)

Happy New Year!
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:26 pm
KingRat wrote:

Definitely don’t take any knife you care about to house of knives for sharpening. They will destroy it. I’ve seen it happen so many times there.
I was worried about that.

Does Warriors and Wonders do sharpening? I don't see anything on their website.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:57 am
I'd advise just learning how to use the Sharpmaker. I don't recommend the Edge Pro, it seemed like a poor design to me while I was using it. If it were my money I would get the KME, but I just use the SM and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Good luck!
This is the best advise. You'd be surprised what you can do with a sharpmaker if you put in the time.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

KingRat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:37 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:26 pm
KingRat wrote:

Sorry, they don’t do sharpening.

I was worried about that.

Does Warriors and Wonders do sharpening? I don't see anything on their website.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

KingRat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:48 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:57 am

Good luck!
This is the best advise. You'd be surprised what you can do with a sharpmaker if you put in the time.

+ 1

Since you already have a sharpmaker: Just watch the instructional dvd, ask or search for advice on this forum, and you´ll be fine!! I myself am really not good at sharpening, but the sharpmaker does make it easy for me.

If you feel like at first you don´t want to practice on your "good" knives: Just get a cheapo for that purpose..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)