competition for the Para 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Edward_Scissorhands

competition for the Para 3?

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

Just wondering what other Spyderco knives are similar to the Para 3, but maybe a little lighter. I like a blade around 3", and really prefer the compression locks over the others.
JaseRicco

Re: competition for the Para 3?

Post by JaseRicco »

If you are partial to compression locks, which I completely understand, I am as well, I don't believe you will find a better knife for the size, materials, build quality and price outside of the Para 3.

Regarding weight, staying at a 3" blade, you will be hard pressed to come in under the 2.4oz that the Para 3 weighs, without going smaller.

If you are a little flexible on blade size and lock type, there are certainly a few others worth mentioning.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
araneae

Post by araneae »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:35 am
If you are partial to compression locks, which I completely understand, I am as well, I don't believe you will find a better knife for the size, materials, build quality and price outside of the Para 3.

Regarding weight, staying at a 3" blade, you will be hard pressed to come in under the 2.4oz that the Para 3 weighs, without going smaller.

If you are a little flexible on blade size and lock type, there are certainly a few others worth mentioning.
This is pretty much on point. Maybe see the Sage Lightweight?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Para 3 LW, Sage LW...but if you want to think outside the box of compression locks, the UKPK is a can't miss.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Lil Native, maybe?
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

JaseRicco wrote:

Edit: I failed to ask the OP whether or not he was inquiring about competition for the original Para 3, or the new Para 3 LWT.

If OP is talking about competition to the original Para 3 w/ G-10 scales, then the Para 3 LWT would certainly be the most obvious choice and my statement remains the same..."If you are partial to compression locks, which I completely understand, I am as well, I don't believe you will find a better knife for the size, materials, build quality and price outside of the Para 3 (LWT)."

Because the Para 3 w/ G-10 scales comes in at 3.5oz, there would be a few knives that come in @ a lighter weight worth mentioning, again, if you are flexible on blade size and lock type. I'll let others chime in on this.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Edward_Scissorhands wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:32 pm
Just wondering what other Spyderco knives are similar to the Para 3, but maybe a little lighter. I like a blade around 3", and really prefer the compression locks over the others.

Does not get much lighter than, well,the lightweight version of the Para 3... ;)

But amongst small comp. lock knives just imho the new Sage 5 LW is a better knife then the Para 3 LW, other than being just a tad heavier (but for that you get full liners).

If you'd like to give my favorite locktype a try: Both Delica and Chaparral FRN are great choices.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Caly 3
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:21 am

Does not get much lighter than, well,the lightweight version of the Para 3... ;)

lol, truth
Wartstein wrote:
But amongst small comp. lock knives just imho the new Sage 5 LW is a better knife then the Para 3 LW, other than being just a tad heavier (but for that you get full liners).

Certainly a nice knife...S30V, full liners and coming in at just 2.7oz, not bad. My rules of EDC are; no larger than a 3" blade, lightweight, decent steel, doesn't have to be excellent, just hold a decent edge and easy to touch up, and must be $100 or less. Otherwise, I'd be taking a look at these among others.
Wartstein wrote:
If you'd like to give my favorite locktype a try: Both Delica and Chaparral FRN are great choices.

I'm guessing your favorite lock type is a back lock? Love the Delica 4's and all the color options they come in.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:32 am

lol, truth

Certainly a nice knife...S30V, full liners and coming in at just 2.7oz, not bad. My rules of EDC are; no larger than a 3" blade, lightweight, decent steel, doesn't have to be excellent, just hold a decent edge and easy to touch up, and must be $100 or less. Otherwise, I'd be taking a look at these among others.

I'm guessing your favorite lock type is a back lock? Love the Delica 4's and all the color options they come in.

Funny, you quoted MY (Wartsteins) post, but actually it looks like you quoted "Edward scissorhand" ;)

Anyway, yes, I personally prefer a good midbacklock over a complock by far.

But even if you don't consider locks, the Delica is just great for me. Despite having liners still lighter than the linerless Para 3 LW, perfect 2.5 mm bladestock (compared to 3.6 (!) on the Para 3), and a comfortable, roomy four finger grip on the actual handle plus a Ricasso to choke up on.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:46 am

Funny, you quoted MY (Wartsteins) post, but actually it looks like you quoted "Edward scissorhand" ;)

But even if you don't consider locks, the Delica is just great for me. Despite having liners still lighter than the linerless Para 3 LW, perfect 2.5 mm bladestock (compared to 3.6 (!) on the Para 3), and a comfortable, roomy four finger grip on the actual handle plus a Ricasso to choke up on.
Lol, I fixed it.

Ya, that Delica 4 is most likely considered to be a perfect EDC. I've owned a few in past and was thinking of picking up a few now, but I'm torn between the Declia 4 with chokable Ricasso and the Dragonfly with an actual finger choil :confused:

I like the size of the Delica better, but after owning the Para 3 LWT, have become accustomed to the finger choil...not sure.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:58 am
Wartstein wrote:

Lol, I fixed it.

Ya, that Delica 4 is most likely considered to be a perfect EDC. I've owned a few in past and was thinking of picking up a few now, but I'm torn between the Declia 4 with chokable Ricasso and the Dragonfly with an actual finger choil :confused:

I like the size of the Delica better, but after owning the Para 3 LWT, have become accustomed to the finger choil...not sure.
The answer is without ANY doubt: Chap FRN!!! :D

Closed not much larger than a D Fly, but a LOT more actual edge (same as a Native!), best executed backlock I personally am aware of, thin,superslicey, thin bladestock (but still strong enough), the great Taichung FRN texturing, very slim in the pocket but also very ergonomic in hand... Go for it!! If I could only have TWO knives, my Nr 1 would always be something larger like an Endura, but my Nr 2 would ALWAYS be the Chap FRN ;)

See also link below (current thread about the Chap)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85697
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:31 am
JaseRicco wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Lol, I fixed it.

The answer is without ANY doubt: Chap FRN!!! :D

Closed not much larger than a D Fly, but a LOT more actual edge (same as a Native!), best executed backlock I personally am aware of, thin,superslicey, thin bladestock (but still strong enough), the great Taichung FRN texturing, very slim in the pocket but also very ergonomic in hand... Go for it!! If I could only have TWO knives, my Nr 1 would always be something larger like an Endura, but my Nr 2 would ALWAYS be the Chap FRN ;)

See also link below (current thread about the Chap)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85697

I will certainly take a look at the Chap. Just a quick look shows it to be about the same size as the Para 3 LWT, just a bit lighter, decent steel, finger choil and comes in Gray Scales, which is good, because I'm looking for something other than black, since the Para 3 LWT is black.

Thanks for the suggestion bub!!
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
JaseRicco wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I will certainly take a look at the Chap. Just a quick look shows it to be about the same size as the Para 3 LWT, just a bit lighter, decent steel, finger choil and comes in Gray Scales, which is good, because I'm looking for something other than black, since the Para 3 LWT is black.

The Chap actually is A LOT smaller and slimmer than a Para 3 or a Delica when closed!

The Para 3 has about 20% more closed length than the Chap, but the DFly only about 5 % less!

Cutting edge wise though the Chap is a lot closer to the Para 3 than to the DFly!

And, as said: It's amazingly thin, but still very solid feeling (perfect Taiichung fit and finish). You really have to hold one to get what I mean.

One of the best designed folders ever imho
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am
JaseRicco wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
JaseRicco wrote:

The Chap actually is A LOT smaller and slimmer than a Para 3 or a Delica when closed!

The Para 3 has about 20% more closed length than the Chap, but the DFly only about 5 % less!

Cutting edge wise though the Chap is a lot closer to the Para 3 than to the DFly!

And, as said: It's amazingly thin, but still very solid feeling (perfect Taiichung fit and finish). You really have to hold one to get what I mean.

Ok, thank you for all the info. I will certainly do a bit of research before I pull the trigger on some Delica's/Dragonflies.

Much appreciated!!
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am
JaseRicco wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Ok, thank you for all the info. I will certainly do a bit of research before I pull the trigger on some Delica's/Dragonflies.

Much appreciated!!
You're very welcome!
Took two quick comparison pics for you (Chap vs Delica, see below)

Edward_Scissorhands

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:02 am
JaseRicco wrote:

Edit: I failed to ask the OP whether or not he was inquiring about competition for the original Para 3, or the new Para 3 LWT.

If OP is talking about competition to the original Para 3 w/ G-10 scales, then the Para 3 LWT would certainly be the most obvious choice and my statement remains the same..."If you are partial to compression locks, which I completely understand, I am as well, I don't believe you will find a better knife for the size, materials, build quality and price outside of the Para 3 (LWT)."

Because the Para 3 w/ G-10 scales comes in at 3.5oz, there would be a few knives that come in @ a lighter weight worth mentioning, again, if you are flexible on blade size and lock type. I'll let others chime in on this.
Thanks. Yeah, I meant the Para 3 LW. Sage 5 LW seems pretty close, but it's slightly heavier. I wouldn't mind losing a little blade length.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 3 lightweight
Lil Native (a small tank)

If I remember correct, Sal said that a Lil Native lightweight is in the works.

I suggest also the Dragonfly.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think one of the best edc knives is any version of the native 5. It also is very close to the size of the para 3. I could be bias since I prefer backlocks. You do get alot of options with it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Sage 5 LW, the PM3 blade is too thick! Blade is too much of a compromise to look like the PM2. Get the sage, it was built to be 3"
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut