New pm2 addict... help needed....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dgreene788

New pm2 addict... help needed....

Post by Dgreene788 »

Good afternoon-

Apologies in advanced for long winded post. I have a few different questions I am going to try and get some feedback from simultaneously. Hope I get some readers. New to Spyderco and quickly addicted to the pm2’s. Bought first one about a month ago and now have 4 ( s35v, m390, cv 10 which I know is same as m390 but m 390 is black blade I didn’t want to carry every day and thought m390 may be my edc, and, sv110. I continue to lay in bed and buy these compulsively. Each one I order I tell myself the next one I will buy I will wait and hunt out a great exclusive I am interested in and continue the collection and hours later will be “but it now”ing it on eBay at $250 like a fool.

The next blade I would like to purchase ( as of now, changes by the hour) is either cruwear, ELMAX, or Maxamet. I here great things about m4 and 51200 but am hard on all my “stuff” and think I prefer something with better corrosion resistance which is why all of my original purchases were stainless, but now with more research feel I need some of the non- stainless coated blades.

Of all the pm2’s I have ordered I expected to like the m390 the best. As I haven’t had a chance to carry it much, and I may be off here, but it seams the blade is very light weight....? Is this the case. My favorite knife to hold and play with is the sv110. Whether it is any different I don’t know but to me it feels a bit heavier and action just feels just right to me..... the problem..... I don’t buy my tools and knives to put in a plastic case and hang on the wall I use my “stuff” hard every day. I am not afraid to bang up and damage a knife in every day use as thay is why I bought them and if I push them harder then they are designed to handle and I have to replace them so be it. That being said I was chiseling out a door jamb for a striker plate on a door first day carrying the sv110 and had 3 significant chips when I got back in my truck. I was able to sharpen them right out so it was no big deal but realized that wasn’t going to be my edc work pm2.

So basically I would like a knife that feels exactly like the sv110( maybe even a bit heavier, if the weights are in fact different and I’m not just crazy ) but may be a bit tougher. My research is pointing me towards the cruwear ( and I am sure I will have them all soon anyways as i have 0 retail self control) but just wanted to get in the mix on this forum as I’m very interested in this great community you guys have here with great company response and feedback from many users and see if anyone had any suggestions. Maybe even something out of left field that I don’t even know exists yet.

Anyways, anyone that didn’t take the time to get though this I appreciate it and apologize and most of all would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

Dennis
curlyhairedboy

Re: New pm2 addict... help needed....

Post by curlyhairedboy »

based on your described use, I'm going to recommend looking at the Shaman lineup. It's definitely a harder-duty blade and may survive your uses much better than the PM2 (at least with existing grind geometry, regardless of steel).

Cruwear is definitely less chip-prone than S110v, which shines in slicing edge retention. It'll outcut cruwear on carpet, for instance.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was just going to recommend the Shaman as well. Sounds like a perfect fit for what he's talking about. Granted at the moment there aren't many steel options, but there's going to be more released this year. Nothing wrong with the S30V version though!

Even a Para 3 may be desirable. Essentially the same knife as a PM2, just a shorter handle and blade. The tip is more robust on the Para 3.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I haven't been carrying any of my PM2s lately but my Cruwear is my most used by far. Not sure why, I guess I just like how it takes an edge. If you can find one of those for a reasonable price I don't think you can go wrong.

I can't disagree with the other guys about the Shaman. I usually carry smaller knives so for me the Shaman is a beast and I like it. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m also a carpenter and my M390 PM2 was my work knife for five years or so. I only chipped it once, cutting a stranded power cord when wire cutters were not close to hand. Lately an S110V Manix LW with a cut down blade (less height than stock) is my work knife. No chips. So much depends on how one uses the tool. For the OP I’d say Cruwear sounds like a good suggestion for his needs because it is a tougher steel.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Cruwear and M4 are good choices, but if you can deal with uncoated patina... the Bentoboxshoppe K390 PM2! It's like an upgraded M4 in a lot of ways, and much tougher than anything you currently have.

Dgreene788

Post by Dgreene788 »

Really appreciate everyone’s feedback. Very helpful - I just love the feel of the pm2. The thin handle is part of the reason unlike it so much so am likely staying pm2, but certainly appreciate the input. I think cruwear will be the next purchase.

Regarding the weight- does anyone have any info on that. To me the sv110 feels like a heavier blade then the m390. Is this accurate. I just love the action and feel of the sv110 and would like to get something closer to this weight. It may just be a minor adjustment on the knife itself that makes it feel that way, but just curious if anyone know if this is true that the sv110 is in fact heavier then m390 and if so is cruwear or any other steel closer to the sv110 or potentially even a bit heavier in weight.

Thanks again for all the quick responses and input.

Also- due to my impulsiveness I have been spending 200+ on secondary markets and / or bbs higher prices and any exclusive or sprint run heads up will be greatly appreciated. Trying to keep up with the general forums to find out but still new to the Spyderco forum and not knowing exactly where to go to find these pre release info.
Dgreene788

Post by Dgreene788 »

I did see that green k390 and liked the look of it at all. Not crazy about the patina and couldn’t find much info on the k390 steel. How do you like that compared to the cruwear?

Thanks !
Ric

Post by Ric »

I say also a Shaman.
Cruwear or Maxamet.

Manix might also be an option!
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I would recommend the Manix 2 for hard use. The knife is a tank! I make sure to always carry one of mine whenever I know the job ahead of time.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I used to think a Manix was a tank, until I handled a Shaman :p

But yes, I agree...A Manix feels like it's built more for hard work than a PM2
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Shamans and Manix2s are certainly heavy-duty folders and I love ‘em a bunch, so much so that I have a bunch. But let’s not get carried away. Folders should always be applied cautiously. Doing so happens to keep the PM2 in the game.

That you already have several PM2s suggests you probably won’t stop there.

How do I know? I just got a corrected Maxamet PM2 (I’m steel-curious) to add to my not-too-modest PM2 horde. It’s the sharpest Spydie I’ve ever gotten out of the box and I feel like a kid in my admiration of it.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Dgreene788

Post by Dgreene788 »

Thank you all very much - I do appreciate all of the input and whereas all of the other options sound great but wrdwrght hit it on the nose. I have used many folders in the past and it is everything about the pm2 that I like. The handle, blade, entire package to me feels like an unbeatable edc. It may not be the best suited for my heavy use times but if I don’t enjoy carrying it won’t ever see any use and am willling to take some damage it may take to reap the benefits of the ergonomics and design I love so much with this knife.

That said cruwear seams like it may be the next pm2 to purchase. The one thing that nobody has covered that I wonder if anyone has any good information regarding is weight. I am not sure if it is just minor adjustments between each knife that makes them feel different to me, but to me the S110V feels much heavier then the m390 and I like the heavier feel of the blade.

Does anyone know if this weight comparison is accurate. If so do you know if cruwear or another steel ( Maxamet, ELMAX, etc) are also heavier like the S110V? Again I’m not sure if it is an adjustment of the particular knives that makes the steel feel heavier, just a difference in feel I have felt and like the heavier feel. Any info/ suggestions would be greatly apprecaiated again.

Thanks

Dennis
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

While I love the Shaman I still am too obsessed with the PM2. I would highly recommend the Carbon Fiber 52100 PM2 Combo Edge while it can still be found.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm
While I love the Shaman I still am too obsessed with the PM2. I would highly recommend the Carbon Fiber 52100 PM2 Combo Edge while it can still be found.
+1. The CE 52100 or the k390 pm2 from Bento Box Shop. Just be aware, both are non-stainless steels and need some tlc to avoid rust. Cruwear is definitely a steel worth having (one of my favorites), but I'd wait and see if any new exclusives come out in that steel later this year before overpaying for one on ebay.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome aboard Dennis! Can't and won't argue with any above, however I would recommend adding a second carry knife that complements your pm2's. Maybe a serrated, salt knife like the Dragonfly2 hawkbill?

I find having that 2nd blade, that can get wet and messy, will bail me out when I can't get time to clean a non stainless. H1 in serrated edge is plenty tough.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Consider a straight spine stretch. Very pm2 like but with a backlock and frn handle. It’s excellent and suggest you give it a try.
Dgreene788

Post by Dgreene788 »

Not sure if this reply is going to go through as my previous responses haven’t - but just looked at that strait spine stretch. About to buy the white sprint run with Vg-10. Looks good- is this the best only option- nothing with g-10 right ?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Dgreene788 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:11 am
The next blade I would like to purchase ( as of now, changes by the hour) is either cruwear, ELMAX, or Maxamet.

...I was chiseling out a door jamb for a striker plate on a door first day carrying the sv110 and had 3 significant chips\
Hey, Dennis.
My current EDC is a Mannix 2 in Maxamet. Philosophically, I would use this during the week and use a more gentlemanly knife on the weekend. But the Maxamet is so much fun to work with that I just can't help but carry it every day.

With that said, you mentioned your aversion to chips. Maxamet likes to chip. But it doesn't really chip on a visual scale, it's more microscopic. After some experience with the unique characteristics of this material, I've learned to put a pretty impressive edge on it. Initially, though, sharpening was dismal. I wouldn't get the edge I expected, and under magnification, the chipped edge was evident. Even under normal usage, the edge will become ragged. Normal usage for me might include hacking through stranded wire, opening letters, reshaping wooden tools, and of course opening boxes from Amazon and Spyderco. The knife still cuts nicely once the edge gets banged up, it's just not minty fresh.

Don't get me wrong, this is not junk steel. It's pretty tough. It's just not your granddaddy's steel. For banging out pockets for a striker plate, you just might like it.