Siren?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog
Member
Posts: 1853
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: The woods of Florida

Re: Siren?

Postby Tdog » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:54 pm

Depending upon the release date may be my first Spydie of 2020. Bring it on. :spyder:

User avatar
Brock O Lee
Member
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Siren?

Postby Brock O Lee » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Black is good for my EDC, blue liners makes it slightly less boring... ;) I like the all black hardware!

You can always tie an orange lanyard for visibility.
Hans
Favourites at the moment: Military 204P, Spydiechef, Sage 2, Pits, Heinnie UKPK, Native Cruwear, Chaparral Ti

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Siren?

Postby Surfingringo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:19 pm

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 pm
If only the scales were orange... black is so friggin boring.
Plus, orange is the most visible color under water. Just look at all the diving watches.

Could have been a 10/10 release. Close, but no cigar.

PS. Still going to buy one because I’m a senseless fanboy.

Cheers!
I would imagine if the model sells well then the possibility of other colors would increase. For what it’s worth, I too would like an orange one. :p I’ve seen the finished product in black now though and it’s a really nice looking knife. The blue liners really make it pop. Spyderco did an amazing job.

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9679
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Siren?

Postby Doc Dan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:31 pm

It’s over due. I thought it would be out by now. There must be a production issue.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Haunted House
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:02 pm

Re: Siren?

Postby Haunted House » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 pm

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 pm
If only the scales were orange... black is so friggin boring.
Plus, orange is the most visible color under water. Just look at all the diving watches.

Could have been a 10/10 release. Close, but no cigar.

PS. Still going to buy one because I’m a senseless fanboy.

Cheers!
White on a black background (or black on a white background) is the most visible at all depths. That’s why the Submariner and most other respected dive watches are white indices on black background. Cousteau himself did a bit of that testing.
Also note most wetsuits are black.
While technically orange is the “most visible”- Red & orange are also the first colors/wavelengths to disappear at depths.
If I remember correctly, red wavelengths disappear around 25ft, orange disappears next at 50ft.
So black isn’t exactly out of place on an oceanic tool.

I like black but I can’t argue against it being boring lol.
Team Wharncliffe

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Siren?

Postby VooDooChild » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:05 am

You ever seen wetsuits from the 80s? Neon pink was all the rage. Its just kinda pointless to do it. As said the color disappears at depth. Or your surfing and its obviously cold and black heats up in the sun better. Although I do hate that it can make you look like a seal from a distance to the men in grey suits.

Come to think of it I would love a neon pink salt knife.

Edit. You know what the more I think of it the more I like what I said. Sal, can we get a neon pink pacific salt 2, or salt 2, where a portion of the profits goes to breast cancer like the pink native? You wouldnt have to change anything but the handle color... Something to think about I guess.

Sorry for going way off topic. Bring on the siren.
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

RazorSharp86
Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:45 am

Re: Siren?

Postby RazorSharp86 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:27 am

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 pm
RazorSharp86 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 pm
If only the scales were orange... black is so friggin boring.
Plus, orange is the most visible color under water. Just look at all the diving watches.

Could have been a 10/10 release. Close, but no cigar.

PS. Still going to buy one because I’m a senseless fanboy.

Cheers!
White on a black background (or black on a white background) is the most visible at all depths. That’s why the Submariner and most other respected dive watches are white indices on black background. Cousteau himself did a bit of that testing.
Also note most wetsuits are black.
While technically orange is the “most visible”- Red & orange are also the first colors/wavelengths to disappear at depths.
If I remember correctly, red wavelengths disappear around 25ft, orange disappears next at 50ft.
So black isn’t exactly out of place on an oceanic tool.

I like black but I can’t argue against it being boring lol.

The indices on watch faces and bezels are white because this type of luminous compound works best in terms brightness and longevity (how long it glows after a charge).

Still would prefer orange as black just disappears in water, pretty much.
If you ever dropped something in a body of water then you’d see that clearly.

My vote still goes to orange!

Monty
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: South of DC

Re: Siren?

Postby Monty » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Seeing this today confirms my initial thoughts when I placed my pre-order months ago. It's simply fantastic. Congrats Lance.

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Siren?

Postby VooDooChild » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:05 pm

I dont care and Im not complaining but...
Has it been 120 days yet? When was reveal 3 again?
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

User avatar
Brock O Lee
Member
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Siren?

Postby Brock O Lee » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:10 am

It looks great. Ticks all the boxes! I prefer it over all the sprints that were announced.
Hans
Favourites at the moment: Military 204P, Spydiechef, Sage 2, Pits, Heinnie UKPK, Native Cruwear, Chaparral Ti

atv223
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Siren?

Postby atv223 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:54 am

I saw it in the BHQ Shot Show video with Eric. The pictures don't do the knife justice, it looked absolutely beautiful in the video.

I can't wait to get my hands on one, but almost too nice to take on the kayak!

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9679
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Siren?

Postby Doc Dan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:37 am

This could be the Knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Siren?

Postby JuPaul » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 am

atv223 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:54 am
I saw it in the BHQ Shot Show video with Eric. The pictures don't do the knife justice, it looked absolutely beautiful in the video.
I thought the same thing - the knife looks sooo much nicer on video than in still shots. Honestly I wasn't interested until I saw the video. Although if Eric can get bit by that spydie (as in the KC SHOT video), it's pretty much a guarantee that I will, too. :p
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: Siren?

Postby Enactive » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:49 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:37 am
This could be the Knife.
Haha haha.

While it may be cool, I don't see anyone around here being happy with 'just' one knife. :D :spyder:

Cscottsss
Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:33 am
Location: Lexington, KY

Re: Siren?

Postby Cscottsss » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 am

Can't wait to get one, it'll fit in with my other kayak fishing Salt knife rotation.

BDNX
Member
Posts: 937
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Memphis 10

Re: Siren?

Postby BDNX » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:48 am

I’m ready now!!!

User avatar
RamZar
Member
Posts: 1790
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 am
Location: SoCal, USA

Re: Siren?

Postby RamZar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:41 pm

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:05 pm
I dont care and Im not complaining but...
Has it been 120 days yet? When was reveal 3 again?

It has now been 136 days since the Siren was announced in Reveal #3 on September 16, 2019.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln

Tdog
Member
Posts: 1853
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: The woods of Florida

Re: Siren?

Postby Tdog » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:51 pm

Any news when this will be released?

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1955
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Siren?

Postby ABX2011 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:23 pm

It was in the SHOT vids so it can't be too far off.

Monty
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: South of DC

Re: Siren?

Postby Monty » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:40 pm

I'm going to buy a boker mermaid if this goes on much longer.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bayouace, Cl1ff, dcrutch8, Google [Bot], Matt Deaner, MFlovejp, Ric, Rp5 and 52 guests