Most Fidget Friendly Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Most Fidget Friendly Knife

Post by kennethsime »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:28 pm
I hardly even flick my blade open anymore, just use the dang thing when i need it, must be old age..
The only knives i have opened and closed excesively just ..because are my BM Onslaught (i know, i know, but it's a Bob Lum design! :P )
The Ikuchi and my Mk2 Starmate that has a detent so weak i can wrist flick it open easily, and it's very smooth closing as well.
Don't feel bad, I still love the Onslaught. A mini came up for sale the other day and it took everything I had not to jump on it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I have a Smallfly...

...and seven stitches in my right hand.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I find myself fondling a micarta handled mule when I'm in deep thought at work. I'll twirl the blade around in forward to reverse back to forward grip. The tactile feel is pleasurable. I don't fidget the para3's very often anymore as family and colleagues have asked me politely to "stop flicking that blankity blank knife around"! :rolleyes:

Sometimes I think maybe its alien hand syndrome as sometimes I don't realize I'm doing it. :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

The compression lock knives are great for fidgeting...Sage 5 FRN and PM2 in particular, but I think the best is the Manix 2. Opens like a vault locking, and super sturdy feeling.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

I'll add another vote for the Sliverax, if not for personal attachment it would beat the Domino as my favorite flipper. The Sage 5 LW also has the smoothest action of any spydie I own and it's not even really that close, the detent on it is perfect too. The Kapara is maybe my favorite to flick, and recently the Ikuchi and Ivory SSS probably round out the top 5. All great overall knives that are also a pleasure to operate in my opinion, hoping we get to see them all in some additional steels some day :D
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Military....
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My most fidgety is the Ouroborous with it’s pb washer upgrade, in addition to the comp lock and it’s flowing shape.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This has really got me looking at the Sliverax again, because I love the multiple ways of opening it like my Magnitude. I just have a hard time pulling the trigger on one because of the CF/G10 scales, I‘m just not crazy about the way they feel. Is it worth the money when you have knives like the Kapara for a few buck more?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I like the slow, smooth, deliberate opening of a back lock and the satisfying click that it makes when it falls into place. I fidget with my back locks a lot. I think of it as "slow fidget."
jacala

Post by jacala »

I fidget with a Smock. It's a challenge - not to nick myself !
Last edited by jacala on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

Most fidgety for me is the PM2. It's really addicting. Second would be the Shaman. The big chamfer around the lock bar allows you to disengage the comp lock with many different fingers/grips.

Smock seems like it should be up there too but I haven't had the pleasure of fidgeting with one yet.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:36 am
This has really got me looking at the Sliverax again, because I love the multiple ways of opening it like my Magnitude. I just have a hard time pulling the trigger on one because of the CF/G10 scales, I‘m just not crazy about the way they feel. Is it worth the money when you have knives like the Kapara for a few buck more?
No denying how good the Kapara feels in hand, and I'll admit the Kapara and Ikuchi probably make a better pair in terms of variety/price point, but I'll also say the Sliverax feels the best of the CF/G10 combos to me in no small part because of the unique handle. It's so naturally locked-in there's no need for jimping and it's wonderfully smooth and chamfered around the edges and lock-tab. There are functional differences that would be more likely to sway depending on your intended use but in terms of hand-feel the Sliverax at least competes very well for me with what I would call the champ(ara?). I would say give it a shot if you can afford to since it's a great knife all-around, or try to at least get your hands on one in person, but I'm biased as like I said I'd love to see more variants of the model :D

Also now I have the word Ikuchapara in my head and perhaps a new dream knife :eek:
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Kels73 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:48 am
I like the slow, smooth, deliberate opening of a back lock and the satisfying click that it makes when it falls into place. I fidget with my back locks a lot. I think of it as "slow fidget."
Agreed 100%!
I'm old school. We use to punch anybody that flicked our knives. I learned to carry a leatherman, or a gas station knife, everywhere.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Kels73 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:48 am
Totally agree. Even though I couldn’t “spydie flick” my Delica 4’s, at least not very well, I often found myself opening them slowly to feel the smoothness and to hear that nice pronounced click...music to my ears.

Outside of the Delica’s, my Para 3 LW makes for a great fidget knife. As a matter of fact, I’m fidgeting right now while on the couch, watching TV and enjoying this forum.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are two older models I really like to play with to pass time occasionally. I love to play with the C-60 Ayoob and the C-46 Lum Tanto Folder. Both models can be deployed so fast and easily in most cases I get really intrigued with their overall design advantages.

A few years back when I had a couple of the 2004 era Spyderco Butterfly knives I would play with those on occasion too. But those butterfly Spyders have been long gone and I came to the conclusion that I'm not a fan of butterfly knives.

One more model I find intriguing to play with are the old DODO models. Don't ask me why but I just like playing around with the Dodo model.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Domino opens nicely either way.
araneae

Post by araneae »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:21 pm
Ikuchi is definitely up there....
Definitely
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The military is fun. Great detent for thumb or middle finger. Mine drop shuts.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!