CTS BD1N edge retention

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dodge

Re: CTS BD1N edge retention

Post by Dodge »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:29 pm
Dodge wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:50 pm
Nothing scientific here but I feel like my Para 3 LW doesn’t hold the edge. About half as long as my Delica/Endura Wave folders. I use the sharpmaker as intended.
So far I like my manix 2 LW with it, but I haven’t used it enough to really know since reprofiling it. it sharpened up great... only time will tell.

I wonder if your having a burr issue as well? May need to remove some metal to get the “burnt” edge from the factory off of it...
I mean it touches up easy enough with the fine stones. I cut single and double wall cardboard at work. It just seems softer to me. Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice looking steel and the Para 3 LW is quintessentially the most Spydercoie Spyderco I own. Just doesn’t hold the edge longer.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
driftingfir

Post by driftingfir »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:30 pm
driftingfir wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:21 pm
I just sharpened my para 3, fully burred on each side and deburred and the edge came out great. Now all I have to do is use the knife and see how the edge retention is. Thanks to everyone who has commented, and feel free to share the thread.
Keep us posted...
Will do
driftingfir

Post by driftingfir »

Michael Christy made a video on burr reduction I found interesting

https://youtu.be/TI9PZjNIjJY
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:19 pm
driftingfir wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:03 pm
The burr seems to not want to come off on one side.

The burr not coming off one one side is simply a sharpening issue. I am almost certain that even if the edge looks even, it is slightly moved to one side.

So on one side you’re sharpening and you’re actually hitting the apex, forming a burr on the other side. On the burr side of the edge, you’ve got to be hitting the shoulder and not actually sharpening the apex (although it may seem like you are)

I have seen this before numerous times and it can throw you off if you don’t know what you’re looking at.

I suggest reprofiling the edge, and centering the edge up. I am certain that will fix your issue.

There’s no other logical reason that a burr would seek persistent only on one side of the knife. On one side you’re hitting the apex, and on one side you aren’t. Fix the edge in that spot and your burr issue will go away.
Good advice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a UKPK in this steel and a ZCut. The Z has been used constantly. The UKPK is still getting tested. So far, the steel seems better than VG10, and maybe as good as S30v (not sure on that one yet). The Z flattened out it was used so much and was unable to cut paper. I tried sharpening but it did not respond. So, I got out a blue Sharpie and colored the edge. Because of the serrations I was not hitting the edge, only the shoulder. Once that was realized, the knife came back to sharpness readily.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
driftingfir

Post by driftingfir »

Update: Today I was off so I decided I would test the knife on cardboard and see if edge retention would improve since I fixed the problem in sharpening. It outcut my zt in s35vn easily and would still shave arm hair after a fair amount cut. In conclusion I've found bd1n to be more than adequate and a better option for some than higher carbide steels because of its ease of sharpening.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Agree!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

driftingfir wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:13 pm
Update: Today I was off so I decided I would test the knife on cardboard and see if edge retention would improve since I fixed the problem in sharpening. It outcut my zt in s35vn easily and would still shave arm hair after a fair amount cut. In conclusion I've found bd1n to be more than adequate and a better option for some than higher carbide steels because of its ease of sharpening.
Glad to hear it all worked out for you.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

driftingfir wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:13 pm
Yes, so far I am impressed with this steel. Time will tell if my early impressions were correct.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
carrot

Post by carrot »

I'm having a really good time with my SE Para 3 LW. I don't have a lot of SE folders in heavy use besides this one but I'm finding BD1N to touch up real easy and stay sharp much longer than expected, even when zipping through cardboard and breaking down boxes. No staining whatsoever.

I'll be very happy to add more BD1N to my collection. And the Para 3 LW is a killer design, honestly even better than the Para 3 G-10 it "economizes".
driftingfir

Post by driftingfir »

I find the handles to be more contoured on the lw. Just my 2 cents.
carrot

Post by carrot »

driftingfir wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:50 pm
I find the handles to be more contoured on the lw. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed, the Para 3 G-10 feels very... slabby by comparison.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

BD1N has incredible edge retention for what it is. I find that it performs almost as well as s30v. That’s no exaggeration. All that performance yet it’s very quick to sharpen.

It is quickly becoming one of my favorite steels. If I’m not carrying something like k390 or some other high carbide super performer, I prefer bd1n.