Starting to be my favorite blade grind.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Starting to be my favorite blade grind.

Post by benben »

I know most of you guys prefer a FFG, and I love them as well, but I'm really liking this high hollow grind, or as ZT calls it, their slicer grind. I should have included my Yojimbo 2 in this pic as well. What other models off the top of your heads has a grind similar to these two?
thumbnail (31).jpg
thumbnail (32).jpg
TkoK83Spy

Re: Starting to be my favorite blade grind.

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Give the Smock a try, for many reasons!

Resized_20190730_104456.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
benben

Post by benben »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 pm
I've put one in my cart several times before, but I thinking a serrated Native in LC200N is probably my next purchase?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Like many things in the knife world it can be hard to see through all the hype and echoing of ideas. The ffg is great but I am unsure how it became the “superior” blade grind. There are plenty of times when a hollow, convex or saber grind is the better choice. The ffg is the most versatile and has the best balance of qualities but the other grinds will beat it in certain tasks.

The issue is that low hollow grinds suck and high hollow grinds are sort of uncommon. If done on a big wheel and brought way up the blade then they can perform exceptionally well. For example, look at the dragonfly salt vs the other salts.

I would be happy to see a few more hollow ground blades myself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Resized_20190730_104456.jpeg
Took the words outta my mouth!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Can't say it's my favorite, but I like the high hollow grind on the Aqua Salt and Dragonfly Salt.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Centofante 3 has a nice hollow grind. It isn't super high, but with 2mm stock it doesn't need to be.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:57 pm
Centofante 3 has a nice hollow grind. It isn't super high, but with 2mm stock it doesn't need to be.

A great example! If you compare the "sabre" grind on the Centofante 3 to the similar height grind on the Worker at 1mm thicker blade stock there's no contest, the Centofante outslices the Worker by miles.

I also really like the grind on the GB1 and one of my all time favorite blade paterns is an older Moki design that has a high hollow grind.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:36 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:57 pm

A great example! If you compare the "sabre" grind on the Centofante 3 to the similar height grind on the Worker at 1mm thicker blade stock there's no contest, the Centofante outslices the Worker by miles.

I also really like the grind on the GB1 and one of my all time favorite blade paterns is an older Moki design that has a high hollow grind.
+3 on that suggestion guys. Great slicer indeed. Especially for the low price. I sold mine to a friend at work last year for $20 and he had me resharpen it for him a few months back. Forgot how nice and simple that knife was, asked him if I could buy it back and he said yes...for $50 haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Nothing wrong with hollow grinds at all IMO.

They allow for very thin behind the edge grinds while keeping the spine thicker for strength.

They slice very well overall too.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The Southard and the Zulu had great hollow grinds.

I don't think the ZT slicer grind is hollow.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:07 pm
The Southard and the Zulu had great hollow grinds.

I don't think the ZT slicer grind is hollow.
It is not. It is a flat grind. Not a ffg, and it's rather thick bte, but after reprofiling mine to 30 degrees she slices just fine! Love the feel of the 562, Hinderer is great with ergos.

I wonder what a spyderco/hinderer collab would be like?
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I like all grinds for different reasons. If it cuts well, I like it.

I also have a ZT 0562(ti) and the blade shape is great. Will it replace my FFG Spydercos? Nope. Will ffg replace my 0562? Nope.

Of course, it helps that I'm sick and can't stop acquiring knives in every configuration that interests me, which happens to be a lot. So maybe my input isn't worth much on this subject. :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like hollow grinds. They seem to outslice flat grinds in some types of media. I think maybe it is because there is less contact/friction between the sides of the knife and the material that you are cutting through? I feel like some “Sticky” materials like rubber or soft plastic respond better to hollow grinds vs flat. I’ve never done any side by side testing or anything though so I might be talking out of my A$$. :p
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like high hollow grinds. The Dragonfly is the one Spyderco I have that I can think of offhand with that type of grind.

A non-Spyderco design I can think of with high hollow grinds are my CRKs. The Sebenza’s primary grind is even thinner at a point above the edge than at the edge itself.

An advantage that high, thin hollow grinds have is that, with lots of use and resharpenings, the blades don’t thicken as quickly, or in the way that FFG, or especially saber ground blades do.

Jim
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I prefer a hollow grind although I'm fine with a FFG when the blade stock is not too thick.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sounds like we might need a few more hollowgrinds to choose from? I’d definitely be happy to have a few more options.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:42 pm
Sounds like we might need a few more hollowgrinds to choose from? I’d definitely be happy to have a few more options.
Sal did mention the possibility of a high hollow grind Delica(or similar model) for something like a Mule program.

If we see more hollow grinds, I hope at least some are 2mm thick stock, like the Centofante 3.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hollow grinds are only okay if high, but I prefer FFG because once you sharpen a lot, hollow starts grinding into the top of the blade. Looks horrible. I wish the Salts were higher, well, really just the Salt 2’s. They’d cut way better though harder things.
- best wishes, Jazz.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Hollow grinds are fantastic as long as they’re thin behind the edge — and they tend to be thin behind the edge. High or low, still great.

FFG became all the rage. I blame fashion and the trend to test blades with corrugated cardboard. Maybe hollow grind will come back in fashion at some point.