First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tapik

Re: First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Post by Tapik »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:39 pm
Mines probably gonna be a police 4 lightweight. I don’t know why I don’t already have one...
I think it's way too big for me in general
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

araneae wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:12 pm
Welcome. Your 3 options are pretty drastically different knives, I own all 3. The Endura is relatively large, the Chap is small. Para 3 is in between. All 3 are good options, but I'd say a Para 3 lightweight is great all around knife. that is a good entry into Spyderco knives and would be my recommendation. There is also a lot to think about as far as your intended use. General office and home use= Chap. Great all around everyday work knife= Para 3. Doing some camping/backpacking= Endura.
to be honest, I'm a little bit afraid about Para 3 LW because they have 1-sided liners, so people complain about blade centering on them - if it's off you can't really do something about that. maybe custom scales in the future will somehow fix that, but right now it's kinda scary for me :)

well, not "scary", but buggin' me a lot (if I have to order overseas, it may be a little too complicated to return an item) :)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I may get a Counter Puppy.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:35 am

I was thinkin' about gettin' Chaparral, Para 3 LW or even Endura (VG-10 and ZDP are avialable in local online stores) - since I have to order online, I'm a little confused... :)

Thank you for any advice you may share!
Welcome to the forum! :)

It´s funny, cause out of the three you mentioned, the Endura would be generally (out of all folders of all brands) my clear recommendation for a large folder and the Chap LW for a small folder (again, out of all folders of all brands)

The Para 3 LW on the other hand is not for me (but keep in mind: It is a very popular model, so obviously a great choice for many others, just not for me).

Now why the Chaparral (generally and as opposed to the Para 3 LW)?:

- It gives you a lot of actual cutting edge related to the very small and slim closed size (Para 3: Rather "big" package, not that much more edge)
- It´s one of the very few small folders with very thin (just 2mm) blade stock: PERFECT and super-slicey for such a small blade (and still strong enough, trust me, I tested this) (Para 3: For my taste ridicolously thick blade stock (3.6 mm I think) for such a small folder. Even the really large Endura or Police only have 3mm)
- Chap has despite its overall thinness great ergos (in real USE it is more stable in hand for me than many other knives)
- It is very light (lighter than a Para 3 LW), but still has full liners and by that a really solid built and feel in hand
- CTS XHP is a great steel imho
- It has a (small enough) size that the finger choil really makes sense to give you a good four finger grip, for the overall actual handle length would be too short for that anyway (the Para 3,much like the Native, imho ruins it´s potentials by having a choil: Makes the handle too short for a good four finger grip, DESPITE the general handle length would offer space for that. So it almost forces bigger hands to utilize the choil,which in addition sacrifices cutting edge length)
- The Chap has the imho best FRN texture there is (personal preference of course)
- It also has the best mid backlock I personally ever experienced (probably due to the internal stop pin). (I personally prefer backlocks over comp.locks (Para 3) by far, concerning operation (though it takes a bit more practice) and safety (in pocket and generally)

That was quite lengthy, I know. But the Chap imho is just one of the best folder designs ever, so forgive me ;)

Now why the Endura?

- For me perfect ergos
- great workhorse, thin, but still strong blade, pointy, but a bit reenforced and by that robust ehough tip
- No choil, so the hand is placed closer to the edge when on the actual handle, still one can chóke up on the Ricasso just fine
- backlock: Always my first choice
- Light, but still solid built with liners
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

And now MY first Spyderco to obtain in 2020:

There are three I am eagerly waiting for, I´ll get whatever comes first.
In order of appearance likelyness:

- Sun and moon Chap: I hope it will be in the next reveal
- Caly 3.5 LW: Probably in the second half of 2020
- Endura SE ffg: Don´t even know, if there´ll ever be one ;)

Plus: Pac Salt SE 2: If it generally will be like the current Pac Salt SE, just with an Endura 4 handle (which I slightly prefer ver over the E3 handle) I´ll get one eventually. But no hurries, for this will be regular production (not a sprint run or something) and my current Pac Salt 1 is more than just fine.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 am
Thank you, that was really helpful! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:37 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 am
Thank you, that was really helpful! :)
You are very welcome, but please keep in mind: Preferring the Chap LW over the Para 3 LW by a lot is just my personal opinion.
And my reasons for that are very relevant for me, but might not for others (for example: Other than me, Mmany prefer a comp.lock over a backlock,and also have their valid reasons for that).

So: If you ask me, definitely get the Chap over the Para 3.
But tbh: To have such a clear personal opinion and in order to find out my own preferences on that, I had (and liked) to try quite a few other Spydies, with various locktypes, blade stock thicknesses and so on ;)

And in the end: You can´t go wrong with most Spydercos anyway ;)
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 am
I found out that in the local store not too far from me they have a regular Para 3, Yojimbo 2, Delica and Chap, so I'll go and check them on tuesday, to get the size and feel, to really understand what I need.

I realized that I love the YJ2 style, but I'm afraid it's TOO BIG AND SCARY in real life.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 am
I found out that in the local store not too far from me they have a regular Para 3, Yojimbo 2, Delica and Chap, so I'll go and check them on tuesday, to get the size and feel, to really understand what I need.
Man, that´s great!! Wish I had such a store close by too, but there are none... :(

As for the Delica: That would be my second small folder choice close behind the Chap (and clearly before Para 3 LW):

Again, just my personal reasoning for that (Delica over Para 3):

- Same edge length, but Delica slimmer in pocket
- Delica offers more than enough space for a comfortable four finger grip on the actual handle and places the hand closer to the edge, Para 3 not so much
- One can still choke up on the Delica Ricasso
- Delica has 2.5 mm blade stock, imho much better than the 3.6 of the Para 3 (and still strong enough)
- Delica has a pointy enough, but still more robust tip
- Delica is a tiny bit lighter than the Para 3 LW, despite having full liners (Para 3 does not)
- And, as said: I personally prefer the backlock over the comp.locjk
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Just spent some time glancing through the 2020 Product Guide.. nothing jumped out at me as being a "must have now," but I am really intrigued by the Siren. I'm thinking this will probably be my first for 2020! I'm also really looking forward to the Swick, but believe that comes out later in the year..

I've built up my stable of knives pretty hard and fast over the past two years and I now own a majority of the knives that I've always wanted.. The icing on the 2019 cake being the Dodo in December! I'm sure that i'll add more this year, but mostly, I'm looking forward to using and enjoying the knives that I already have in 2020. :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Chaparral Sun and Moon.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

A very fancy Kiwi, if it would hurry up!

Also, it turns out finding the little leather slip is a job in and of itself...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Tapik wrote:
Hi, I'm kinda new to the knives and at the very of my hobby, so I don't really have a lot of knives yet - few Vix, some budget-friendly CRKTs and Chinese Ruike ones (they just everywhere in Ukraine, apart from our local Skif ones and Grand Way from China).

So, I want to go to the more premium and expensive (for our country, ofc) stuff, and actually have no idea what to get first - want to go for something about 100-150 USD (it will cost me 150-200 with the delivery), maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Have no experience with Spyderco's, but don't want the Chinese ones (just tired of liner lock, I guess).

Any ideas, what should I get first?

I was thinkin' about gettin' Chaparral, Para 3 LW or even Endura (VG-10 and ZDP are avialable in local online stores) - since I have to order online, I'm a little confused... :)

Thank you for any advice you may share!
Chaparral or Para 3 LW? The fairly new Sage 5 LW is the Goldilocks between those two. The Chaparral is a 7/8 scale Sage. The Sage shape feels great in my hand. The Sage 5 LW has the same great bi-directional FRN texture as the Chap LW, and it keeps the full steel liners on both sides like the regular Sage 5. The Sage 5 LW has the addition of the bushing pivot that makes it super smooth to open and close. Like the Chap, the Sage 5 LW is kind of a premium lightweight.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:40 pm
Tapik wrote:
Chaparral or Para 3 LW? The fairly new Sage 5 LW is the Goldilocks between those two. The Chaparral is a 7/8 scale Sage. The Sage shape feels great in my hand. The Sage 5 LW has the same great bi-directional FRN texture as the Chap LW, and it keeps the full steel liners on both sides like the regular Sage 5. The Sage 5 LW has the addition of the bushing pivot that makes it super smooth to open and close. Like the Chap, the Sage 5 LW is kind of a premium lightweight.

(Discussed in another thread already): "Chaparral is a 7/8 scale Sage (LW)": Depends a bit on which features define a Chaparral to one, but imho:
No, it is really not.

Don´t get me wrong, the Sage 5 LW is a great suggestion and a very interesting and good design, and I´d take it over the Para 3 LW any day of the week for several reasons (for example thinner blade stock, and the handle uses the available space a lot better (no "hook" and "inward curve" at the rear end, important on short knives in order to offer a four finger grip for bigger hands)

But compared to the Chap the Sage does not have the overall thinness of both handle and especially blade (3mm vs 2mm stock), which makes the Sage a pretty "standard" Spyderco in that regards, while the Chap is really one of its kind (not saying one or the other is "better", but certainly they are different)

Additionllay: Sage: Standard comp. lock, Chap: Especially well made backl lock (internal stop pin).
(Again: Not saying one or the other is "better", but again: Certainly they are different))
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Warstein, we're never going to agree on this. Perhaps my "7/8 scale" analogy oversimplifies. The Chap is a 7/8 scale, ultra-thin, specialty slicer version of the Sage. Or the Sage is a Chap XL with a more robust, but still not overly thick blade stock. Twist the semantics however you want. The Sage and Chap, particularly in LW FRN and CF/G10 laminate scale form, are visually similar and feel very similar in the hand. Yes, they have some small but significant differences, but they're undeniably related designs.

Also, the Sage 5 LW doesn't have a standard comp lock. It has a stronger detent and a bushing pivot, which are both upgrades over the more expensive standard Sage 5. If you're going to argue that Chap has an especially well made back lock, then it's only fair to acknowledge that the Sage 5 LW has an especially well made comp lock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:58 am
Warstein, we're never going to agree on this. Perhaps my "7/8 scale" analogy oversimplifies. The Chap is a 7/8 scale, ultra-thin, specialty slicer version of the Sage. Or the Sage is a Chap XL with a more robust, but still not overly thick blade stock. Twist the semantics however you want. The Sage and Chap, particularly in LW FRN and CF/G10 laminate scale form, are visually similar and feel very similar in the hand. Yes, they have some small but significant differences, but they're undeniably related designs.

Also, the Sage 5 LW doesn't have a standard comp lock. It has a stronger detent and a bushing pivot, which are both upgrades over the more expensive standard Sage 5. If you're going to argue that Chap has an especially well made back lock, then it's only fair to acknowledge that the Sage 5 LW has an especially well made comp lock.
Thanks for your reply!

I think we have to agree to disagree ;)
As said, it all comes down what are important and defining features for a certain person, and certainly there is no "right or wrong" here.

For me the Chap is all about the great backlock and overall thinness of the handle and especially the blade.

Though you are absolutely right of course in that the Sage 5 LW / CF are visually very similar and have a somewhat similar feel in hand as a Chap, for me personally and for my priorities let´s say a Delica or even Centofante are MORE "similar" knives to the Chap LW than a Sage 5. For they both have thinner stock (Delica 2.5 mm, Centofante 2 mm) and a backlock...

Conerning the upgraded comp.lock on the Sage 5: You are right once more. I was not precise enough when stating that the Sage would have a "standard" comp. lock, but the Chap an "especially well made back lock". I was just thinking about the way the blade is locked in open position, and concerning THAT the Chap backlock feels even better to me than lets say a Delica backlock (concerning blade play/lock rock), while the Sage comp.lock does lock the blade in open position like any other comp.lock I guess (and by that just perfectly so).
Concerning bushing and detent it IS "updgraded" though from what I hear.

Anyway, I hope for the OP, who said he is new to knives and even "newer" to Spyderco, our discussion offers valuable info in what parameters he could possibly look into when choosing a folder...
Outlaw Pete

Post by Outlaw Pete »

This baby arrived today👍
Attachments
8EF966B3-1FCB-4D21-B2DF-60347408C16A.jpeg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

For me it has to be the Province. Have been wanting one since it was announced. Very excited to try CPM-4V.
Between Jom and Darrin, it should be the best fixed blade Spyderco offers. A must have for sure.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Waiting for the Siren to deliver.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tapik wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:16 am
araneae wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:12 pm
Welcome. Your 3 options are pretty drastically different knives, I own all 3. The Endura is relatively large, the Chap is small. Para 3 is in between. All 3 are good options, but I'd say a Para 3 lightweight is great all around knife. that is a good entry into Spyderco knives and would be my recommendation. There is also a lot to think about as far as your intended use. General office and home use= Chap. Great all around everyday work knife= Para 3. Doing some camping/backpacking= Endura.
to be honest, I'm a little bit afraid about Para 3 LW because they have 1-sided liners, so people complain about blade centering on them - if it's off you can't really do something about that. maybe custom scales in the future will somehow fix that, but right now it's kinda scary for me :)

well, not "scary", but buggin' me a lot (if I have to order overseas, it may be a little too complicated to return an item) :)
Yep, the blades are off center in both the para3 lw's that I have. But they function perfectly. I understand being OCD about these things and not liking the asymmetry, but it doesn't ever seem to affect functioning in this knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.