First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tapik

First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Post by Tapik »

Hi, I'm kinda new to the knives and at the very of my hobby, so I don't really have a lot of knives yet - few Vix, some budget-friendly CRKTs and Chinese Ruike ones (they just everywhere in Ukraine, apart from our local Skif ones and Grand Way from China).

So, I want to go to the more premium and expensive (for our country, ofc) stuff, and actually have no idea what to get first - want to go for something about 100-150 USD (it will cost me 150-200 with the delivery), maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Have no experience with Spyderco's, but don't want the Chinese ones (just tired of liner lock, I guess).

Any ideas, what should I get first?

I was thinkin' about gettin' Chaparral, Para 3 LW or even Endura (VG-10 and ZDP are avialable in local online stores) - since I have to order online, I'm a little confused... :)

Thank you for any advice you may share!
Last edited by Tapik on Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
acer

Re: First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Post by acer »

Hi Tapik and welcome. 👍. You have already made a good decision by being here. Have fun 😁
jdw

Post by jdw »

Welcome to the forum! You certainly came to the right place. There are a lot of REALLY knowledgeable and friendly people on this board. An Endura ZDP-189 is one of my all time favorite knives by any maker but you can't really go wrong with most Spydies. Taichung quality is off the charts, Golden makes knives that I would trust my life with, Seki/Moki make great FRN models and some will argue that Moki production is close to that of Taichung. My first buy for the New Year will be the Sun/Moon Chaparral. I am really excited about this release and I am guessing that they won't stay in regular production for very long. Again, welcome and I hope that you find some great answers.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The chaparral LW or the Sage 5 LW would be excellent first choices.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Beginning my collection was the hardest. Deciding without trying is not easy. Native was my first followed by endura then a Manix 2. I don't think you can go wrong either way eventually you'll wanna try them all
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I will wait for the Catalog and first Reveal...might have bring something cool....depend on how much I am going to like Spyderedge, I might pick up SE Caribbean (despite I don't like detent based locks).....but no new knife until like February or March.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The siren and some pacific salt 2s for sure.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I’m new to owning Spydercos too. I started with the Para 3 and then Delica. The Delica has become my favorite knife. My next non-Delica/Para 3 will probably be... a dragonfly.

For a bigger knife... I don’t really have much use for them but I’ll likely get a Manix or Paramilitary 2.

Picking your knife model is pretty simple. Which blade steel you choose is the real rabbit hole.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

How are your sharpening skills, and do you have a decent cbn or diamond stone? Zdp-189 is a very hard steel, so can be challenging to sharpen without the right equipment and knowledge. I know because I got a zdp Delica before I was really prepared. Vg-10 is much more user-friendly, and a perfectly good steel, definitely still an upgrade from typical Chinese-made steels.

As for model, I don't think you can go wrong with anything from Seki City (the delica/endura family), and there are also many excellent Golden models in your price range, especially the lightweight ones like the Sage 5 lightweight, native 5 lightweight, and para3 lightweight. All of those start with either s30v or bd1n steel (or lc200n on the native 5 lightweight salt). All of those steels are quality and easy to sharpen, and lc200n is virtually rust-proof.

Have fun! This may be your first syderco, but it won't be your last!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ordered my Straight Spine Stretch yesterday, should be waiting for me when I return from vacation at the end of the week.

Going to order some RIT dye also to attempt an Olive Green dye job.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

Thank You all for the response, and a Happy New Year :-)
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:24 pm
How are your sharpening skills, and do you have a decent cbn or diamond stone? Zdp-189 is a very hard steel, so can be challenging to sharpen without the right equipment and knowledge. I know because I got a zdp Delica before I was really prepared. Vg-10 is much more user-friendly, and a perfectly good steel, definitely still an upgrade from typical Chinese-made steels.
My sharpening skills are not too great, to be honest. Mainly because I have 8Cr13Mov, 14c28n or similar stainless steels on budget/Chinese knives. I use ceramic rods to sharpen them and they'll fine, when something need to be re-sharpened or tip of the knive is broken, to re-shape I use old USSR-time stones, and that is definetely not the thing to use with the knives, that cost more, than 20-30$.

I'm thinking about getting more into sharpening, or use the local stores, that provide knive maintenance, but I think I need to get the knive before I will move on with that.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Siren if it ever gets released
fixall

Post by fixall »

If I was going to own just one Spyderco on a budget, it would be the Chaparral LW, hands down. It’s an incredible knife that will do most anything you could ask of it. Great steel, fantastic blade geometry for cutting, and a nice premium hand feel (because of the backspacer in my opinion) with wonderful ergonomics.

If I wanted a bit more of a premium experience, I’d probably save up a bit longer for a standard G10 Para 3... or maybe a secondhand exclusive/sprint run Para 3 if one could be found at a reasonable price.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:44 am
Ordered my Straight Spine Stretch yesterday, should be waiting for me when I return from vacation at the end of the week.

Going to order some RIT dye also to attempt an Olive Green dye job.
Please report back! I've thought about doing the same.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

Somehow my previous reply is not seen here :(
What's the difference between Stretch 2 and Endura?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Tapik wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:35 am
Hi, I'm kinda new to the knives and at the very of my hobby, so I don't really have a lot of knives yet - few Vix, some budget-friendly CRKTs and Chinese Ruike ones (they just everywhere in Ukraine, apart from our local Skif ones and Grand Way from China).

So, I want to go to the more premium and expensive (for our country, ofc) stuff, and actually have no idea what to get first - want to go for something about 100-150 USD (it will cost me 150-200 with the delivery), maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Have no experience with Spyderco's, but don't want the Chinese ones (just tired of liner lock, I guess).

Any ideas, what should I get first?

I was thinkin' about gettin' Chaparral, Para 3 LW or even Endura (VG-10 and ZDP are avialable in local online stores) - since I have to order online, I'm a little confused... :)

Thank you for any advice you may share!
Welcome. Your 3 options are pretty drastically different knives, I own all 3. The Endura is relatively large, the Chap is small. Para 3 is in between. All 3 are good options, but I'd say a Para 3 lightweight is great all around knife. that is a good entry into Spyderco knives and would be my recommendation. There is also a lot to think about as far as your intended use. General office and home use= Chap. Great all around everyday work knife= Para 3. Doing some camping/backpacking= Endura.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
tangent

Post by tangent »

I'm not buying any Spydercos until they release the LOOOOONNNNGGG awaited LC200N Salts.

Getting a little frustrated waiting so long for a knife that I know a lot of people want.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lil Chokwe probably, depends on what is in the first reveal
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Mines probably gonna be a police 4 lightweight. I don’t know why I don’t already have one...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Just got my P4 LW and I’m still waiting on my Parata from BHQ. I don’t know what the deal is. Do they not order enough or something? After that I’m onto the Siren and Cold Steels re-release of the mini tuff lites.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”