First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Post by bbturbodad »

Tapik wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:58 am
I don't get serrated blades (if SE stands for "serrated").
I didn't really either until I saw this video posted by forum member Jazz. I now own several SE blades.

https://youtu.be/qo5AZNQd748
-Turbo
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Tapik wrote:I don't get serrated blades (if SE stands for "serrated").
Theres also a test of an atlantic salt being used to cut through the tread on a car tire, steel belts and all. None of the plain edge knives could do this, no matter how they were sharpened or what supersteel they were made of. Different versions of same tools for different versions of similar jobs. Kinda like the difference between a draw knife, a spokeshave, and a hand plane. They all sort of do the same but different things in sort of the same but different ways, and some are much better than others in some situations.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

OK, I spent some time in the shops, so here's impressions:
- Chaparral - too small for my hand, I have not so big of a hand, but sausage-fingers, so Chap uncomfortable for my standart grip at all :( and too light, almost like my son's toys
- Para 3 LW - the blade in the shop was soooo off-centered, It feels too uncomfortalbe for me, but the knife itself is fine (somehow guys in the shop tighten all the knives so hard, that I have to operate with 2 hands even on comp lock)
- Endura - way too big for my hand (they gave me the Police 4 too, but it looks like a short sword and the handle not fit into my pocket :D)
- Manix 2 LW was the old one, with BD1, and it was too... don't know the word... flimsy? When I put the pressure on the handle it almost cracks somehow (I guess that was that exact one thing problem).

So... I'm thinking about ordering Sage 5 LW from USA (never saw them in Ukraine shops at all) and hope for the best, or maybe ordering Native 5 Pink (dunno why, but I love pink), Para 3 LW Black Blade (can't find that in my country at all somehow, maybe sold out) or just the regular Para 3, the size of the blade itself was fine for me.

Guess I'll have to flip the coin and just be ready for anything.

UPD: Oh, almost forgot - Street Beat fixed blade was so perfect, but sadly I can't carry a fixed blade as my EDC :(
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:32 pm
OK, I spent some time in the shops, so here's impressions:
- Chaparral - too small for my hand, I have not so big of a hand, but sausage-fingers, so Chap uncomfortable for my standart grip at all :( and too light, almost like my son's toys
- Para 3 LW - the blade in the shop was soooo off-centered, It feels too uncomfortalbe for me, but the knife itself is fine (somehow guys in the shop tighten all the knives so hard, that I have to operate with 2 hands even on comp lock)
- Endura - way too big for my hand (they gave me the Police 4 too, but it looks like a short sword and the handle not fit into my pocket :D)
- Manix 2 LW was the old one, with BD1, and it was too... don't know the word... flimsy? When I put the pressure on the handle it almost cracks somehow (I guess that was that exact one thing problem).

So... I'm thinking about ordering Sage 5 LW from USA (never saw them in Ukraine shops at all) and hope for the best, or maybe ordering Native 5 Pink (dunno why, but I love pink), Para 3 LW Black Blade (can't find that in my country at all somehow, maybe sold out) or just the regular Para 3, the size of the blade itself was fine for me.

Guess I'll have to flip the coin and just be ready for anything.

Sounds tricky... ;)

They did not have a Delica? Could be for you...

And I'm surprised by your impressions on the Manix LW, tbh... I had one and can remember it felt - though light- very solid, not only for a linerless knife... anyway, be assured, it WON'T "crack", should you want to reconsider it... ;)

Chap: Also surprised: Sure it is absolutely meant to held utilitizing the choil, but if I do so it has really amazing ergos for my L to XL hands...

Anyway, good luck with your quest!! :)
The Sage LW is a great knife from all I can see...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tapik wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:32 pm

So... I'm thinking about ordering Sage 5 LW from USA (never saw them in Ukraine shops at all) and hope for the best, or maybe ordering Native 5 Pink (dunno why, but I love pink), Para 3 LW Black Blade (can't find that in my country at all somehow, maybe sold out) or just the regular Para 3
The sage 5 lw is a very recent release in the U.S., and so is the para 3 lw with the black blade, so they may not have made their way around the world yet. In my opinion, either is an excellent choice, although I also like the native and the g10 para 3. If you really want the "strong feeling" scales, then g10 is the way to go. But in my opinion, the sage 5 lw scales are the best of the lightweight models you mentioned - very nice texture and solid feeling with a partial liner on one side.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Hoping the Siren will release soon. That’s the main Spyderco I’m interested in right now by far.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BDNX wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:04 pm
Hoping the Siren will release soon. That’s the main Spyderco I’m interested in right now by far.

Yes, I was of the opinion all the knives shown in a certain Reveal should be released before the next one comes out...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Watu will be my first for 2020...hopefully
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

Ordered myself the regular Para 3 with black G10 scales, will modify it eventually with deep carry clip and maybe titanium screws etc.
When I finally got it in hand, it's just clicked.

So, in a 2-3 days I will get my own. Can't wait.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:44 am
Ordered myself the regular Para 3 with black G10 scales, will modify it eventually with deep carry clip and maybe titanium screws etc.

Thanks for reporting back! Enjoy it! (And be prepared: More Spydies will follow inevitable... :rolleyes: )

The Para 3 would not have been my personal choice, but the "just clicked"-experience is probably the most important thing in making decisions when buying a knife :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Tree-Rex Shaman ended up being my first of 2020. Hopefully the Rex45 Chief will be my second.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Two DoubleStuff2s. Although I have one already, as well as the original, this is my first Spyderco purchase of 2020. Got a great deal I couldn’t pass up, while looking for something else.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Hopefully the Siren will be released soon. Will be my first unless something else comes along.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Tapik

Post by Tapik »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 am
Tapik wrote:

Thanks for reporting back! Enjoy it! (And be prepared: More Spydies will follow inevitable... :rolleyes: )

The Para 3 would not have been my personal choice, but the "just clicked"-experience is probably the most important thing in making decisions when buying a knife :)
I really tried to get into Chaparral, but in my hand it feels not so good.

Got my own Para 3 already, and it feels like it was with me forever :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 am
Tapik wrote:

I really tried to get into Chaparral, but in my hand it feels not so good.

Got my own Para 3 already, and it feels like it was with me forever :D

Man, that´s good, glad for you!! :)

You said that you got into knives just recently, and I think it´s great that on the one hand you do ask for opinions of "long time knife nuts", but don´t let you talk into a particular model (for example by an old backlock- and Chap guy like me... :D )

Seems like the Para 3 really is just made for you.

Again,DON´T let you talk into something... ;), but if you like the Para 3, you should really try the PM2... very similar in many aspects, just more space for a four finger grip behind the choil and of course longer (and imho by that more versatile) blade... if I was in the market for another PM2, I´d try to get the S45VN, shown in the latest reveal... :rolleyes:
Nate

Post by Nate »

My first two of the year arrived today, stainless Kopa and straight Stretch 2. Pretty stoked about both. Been out of the game for a while and glad they were still in stock, even got a nice little discount on the Kopa.
:spyder:
JMM

Post by JMM »

Jan. Shaman - Rex45 - KnifeCenter Exclusive

Feb. Shaman - DLC Cruwear - TKJ Exclusive

Mar? Searching for a 4V Shaman . . . :)

Post by 017 »

Police 4 FRN. I knew it was a big knife, but in person, it's huge. It's hillarious.

Imagep4_01 by The 017, on Flickr
Last edited by 017 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

2 Jan 2020 ordered Pac Salt SE. Had to get one more while it was available.